Do you consider yourself to be a savvy consumer? Do you strive to provide your family with the best food choices that you can within your budget range? Do you think you know what’s in your food? Think again . . .
Food labeling is common, each year it seems more and more information is being crammed onto those little labels. You can read about the sugar content, the calorie content, the vitamin content, the additives in all of your foods, or so it would seem. Here’s one you might not be aware of… Did you know that Big Dairy has petitioned the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to add Aspartame (as well as other “nutritive sweeteners”) to dairy products without having to label it on the product?!
Currently, dairy products containing aspartame MUST include this on the label because Aspartame contains phenylalanine, which can be deadly to Phenylketonurics (people who have a metabolic disorder caused by a deficiency in the production of the hepatic (liver) enzyme).
The petition, proposed to the FDA on February 20, 2013 , officially seeks to amend the governments’ current standards of milk, along with 17 other dairy products:
- Acidified milk (§ 131.111)
- cultured milk (§ 131.112)
- sweetened condensed milk (§ 131.120)
- nonfat dry milk (§ 131.125)
- nonfat dry milk fortified with vitamins A and D (§ 131.127)
- evaporated milk (§ 131.130)
- dry cream (§ 131.149)
- heavy cream (§ 131.150)
- light cream (§ 131.155)
- light whipping cream (§ 131.157)
- sour cream (§ 131.160)
- acidified sour cream (§ 131.162)
- eggnog (§ 131.170)
- half-and-half (§ 131.180)
- yogurt (§ 131.200)
- lowfat yogurt (§ 131.203)
- nonfat yogurt (§ 131.206)The dairy lobby is arguing that adding aspartame to all the above-listed dairy products will somehow make children healthier because the added sweetener will make them want to consume more of their product, which will contain few calories.
Is Asparatame Safe?
So, if aspartame is such a wonderful additive, why are they so hip to hide it? Here are several reasons that I can think of right off the top of my head:
- Aspartame has been linked to High instances of Cancers including leukemia
- Artificial Sweeteners alter a persons brain chemistry thereby making them crave higher-calorie foods, which increases the vicious cycle of obesity and an increase in diabetes
- Aspartame has developed a poor reputation worldwide as thousands of people have reported multiple side effects including headache, dizziness, depression, convulsions, impaired vision, the aggravation of diabetes mellitus and its complications, hypoglycemia, multiple allergies (including dual sensitivity to MSG), aspartame addiction, chronic fatigue, eating disorders, and pediatric problems. The numerous misdiagnoses include arthritis, lupus, multiple sclerosis, and Alzheimer’s disease.
Why do they want to leave it off the labels?
Well, according to their petition, they want to add the sweeteners without having to list them because consumers can “more easily identify its overall nutritional value.” without the labels. Did you catch that? Out of sight, out of mind. According to The International Dairy Foods Association (IDFA) and the National Milk Producers Federation (NMPF), we consumers are a bunch of sheep that see certain chemicals in our food and react, so they’re going to help us all out and take those terrible labels away so that we don’t misunderstand how wonderfully healthy their (now toxic) product actually is!
To add insult to injury, the IDFA and NMPF have stated that “reduced calorie labels are not attractive to children”. Apparently, loading natural foods with excessive sweeteners and chemicals is a more attractive and viable alternative to teaching our children how to eat healthy.
Are Artificial Sweeteners Safe?
I guess it depends on who you ask… but here are a few studies that suggest “NO, Not by a long shot.”
- Artificial Sweeteners tied to Obesity, Type 2 diabetes
- Aspartame- the Link to Malignant Brain Tumors Epidemics
- Aspartame Linked to Leukemia and Lymphoma in Landmark study on Humans – a single Diet soda per day increase Leukemia, Multiple Myeloma, and non-hodgkin lymphomas
- US National Library of Medicine- Public Healthy Studies – consumption of Artificial Sweeteners increase lymphoma & leukemia
- Center for Science in Public Interest- noted in a 2007 study that frequent use of Artificial Sweeteners, particularly Aspartame were linked to preterm deliveries of infants, increase in kidney tumors, breast cancer, as well as liver and lung cancer in males
- Excitotoxins– the food additives that Kill
- Soffritti M, Belpoggi F, Esposti DD, Lambertini L. Aspartame induces lymphomas and leukemias in rats. European Journal of Oncology 2005; 10(2):107–116.
- Lim U, Subar AF, Mouw T, et al. Consumption of aspartame-containing beverages and incidence of hematopoietic and brain malignancies. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers and Prevention 2006; 15(9):1654–1659.
How does this affect you?
If this amendment passes, it means that when you and your family consume any of those 17 products listed above, you may be ingesting an unnatural chemical, which is then metabolized by the body. Once you ingest Aspartame, it starts to break down into residual components which include aspartic acid, phenylalanine, and methanol. Then it continues to break down into FORMALDEHYDE and formic acid. If Formaldehyde sounds familiar to you, it should- it’s an Embalming fluid used to preserve Dead Bodies.
What Can You Do About it?
Whether you feel safe or not consuming the product is not the point. Currently, as consumers, you have the CHOICE because the products must be clearly labeled. If this proposed petition goes through, the choice will no longer be available, you will have NO idea what is Really in your dairy products.
We highly recommend you voice your opinion on the proposed rule directly on the Federal Governments Regulation page CLICK HERE NOW
© Can Stock Photo Inc. / lunamarina