Banana split trifle is a simple layered recipe of fresh fruit, cake or brownies, and traditional banana split toppings nestled between creamy pudding and whipped cream. It’s festive, yet quick and easy to throw together.
There are many simple variations to this recipe if you’d prefer it to be a bit lighter, use an Angel food cake. If you’d like it to be chocolatey use a chocolate cake if you’d prefer to serve a richer dessert use brownies. If you’d like a lighter spring dessert, use white or yellow cake.
We tend to make this for Thanksgiving or Christmas and usually opt for pieces of brownies. The quick version of the recipe is listed below, but we recommend homemade vanilla pudding, if you have the time, be sure to let it cool completely before assembling your trifle dessert or the bananas will prematurely brown.
Banana Split Trifle
1 Yellow Cake OR Angel Food Cake OR Chocolate cake OR a Pan of Brownies
3 cups homemade Vanilla Pudding or 1 large box (5.1oz) Instant Vanilla Pudding (prepared as directed on box)
3 large bananas, sliced
1 1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
1 1/2 – 2 cups chopped fresh pineapple (or 6 oz can of crushed pineapple, well-drained)
3 cups of homemade whipped cream or 1 container Cool Whip
1 Jar Maraschino Cherries, diced
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
1/4 cup chocolate syrup
- Prepare the cake or brownies and make sure it’s completely cooled before assembling the dessert.
- Cut or tear the cake or brownies into bite-sized pieces.
- Prepare the vanilla pudding mix following the directions on the box. (If you’re using homemade vanilla pudding, be sure it’s cold first).
How to Layer the Banana Trifle
- Layer 1= In a trifle dish or large clear salad bowl add a layer of cake/brownie pieces.
- Layer 2= Add half of the pudding
- Layer 3= Add half of the sliced bananas
- Layer 4 = Add half of the sliced strawberries
- Layer 5= Add half of the pineapple
- Layer 6= Add half of the whipped cream (or Cool Whip)
- Layer 7= Add half the Maraschino cherries
- Layer 8= Drizzle with half of the chocolate syrup
- Layer 9= Add half of the chopped nuts
Repeat all these steps with the remaining ingredients in the same order. Cover the dessert and chill it for at least two hours, or until ready to serve.