June 2nd is National Donut Day! Technically, National Donut day is the first friday of the month of June every year. This particular day originated . . .
back in 1938 and was created by the Salvation Army as a fundraiser to help the needy through the great depression and also to honor the many women who served donuts to soldiers during World War 1. Since we’re celebrating, read more to find out how to make your own and where to get Free Donuts on National Donut Day!
Interesting fact… Have you ever wondered why donuts have holes in the middles? They don’t cook properly with the middles intact, the outside has a tendency to burn before the center cooks all the way through, so to remedy the issue, the centers were removed all together.
The largest filled doughnut ever recorded was a Jelly Donut that was 16 feet across in diameter, 16″ thick and weighed 1.7 tons (that’s 3,739 pounds!). The donut was created in Utica, New York January 21, 1993
Making your own delicious donuts is a cinch with the following tried and true recipes:
- Apple Cider Donuts
- Campfire Donut Holes
- Chinese Buffet Style Donuts
- Copycat Dunkin Donuts Honey-glazed ** Favorite!!**
- Plain Cake Donuts
- Simple Chocolate Sugared Donuts
- South of the Border Donuts(aka Buneolos)
However, if you’re simply looking for a great deal, here are several places to get a donut for Freeon National Donut Day:
- Bennetts Fresh Roast– Drop by between 6 and 10 a.m. for a free glazed donut. Limit one per customer, while supplies last.
- Cumberland Farms– score a free donut wyb any coffee or fountain drink
- Doughnut Plant NYC– Visit one of our NYC shops & get a FREE Carnival Sprinkles mini cake doughnut with any purchase!
- Duck Donuts–
- Dunkin Donuts– Free Donut when you drop by any of their locations
- Entenmanns– Free Donut + the chance to win free donuts for a year
- Fractured Prune Doughnuts– free OC Sand doughnut (honey glazed, covered in cinnamon sugar) at participating stores
- Honey Dew Donut– Free Coco Loco Donut- (almond chocolate glazed, sprinkled with coconut flakes) with the purchase of a medium or larger beverage
- Jiffy Lube – some locations did last year, no work on whether they’re doing it again this year
- Krispy Kreme
- Kwik Trip– Free Kwikery Bake shop cake donut, dunker or Glazer Donut
- Lamar’s Donuts & Coffee- Free Donut– donate to the Salvation army, then print out a free ticket to redeem at their locations
- Martins Supermarket– free donut and $1 off a dozen as well
- QuickChek –Free Donut with their App
- Shipley Do-Nuts– free glazed doughnut with any purchase between 5 a.m. and 12 p.m
- Stans Donuts– free donut with any purchase
- Tim Hortons – free doughnut with the purchase of hot or iced coffee
- Wawa– Free donut for rewards members (only)
- Weis – 3 donuts for $1 at Weis with your Weis Preferred Shoppers Club Card
- Winn-Dixie: Munch on a free jumbo cake, powdered or cinnamon doughnut hole from the bakery. Limit one per customer, while supplies last.
© Can Stock Photo Inc. / SasPartout
2 thoughts on “June 2nd: National Donut Day”
Wow, Great List! Thank you so much for sharing this and compiling all of the recipes for donuts and more so for compiling all of the locations to grab free doughnuts! Awesomesauce:Coffee:
good article ! Thaank you for sharing
I wish you the best