If you crave the taste of Cadbury Cream Eggs, but hate waiting all year for them to be available, wait no more! This amazing recipe tastes just like the delicious confectionery delight available in the store, but you don’t have to wait until spring to get some.
1/2 C. light corn syrup
1/4 C. butter — softened
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt
3 C. powdered sugar
4 Drops yellow food coloring
2 Drops red food coloring
1 Bag milk chocolate chips — (12 ounce)
2 Tablespoons vegetable shortening
- In a bowl blend the corn syrup, butter, vanilla, and salt with an electric mixer or stand mixer. Add powdered sugar, one cup at a time, continue beating with a mixer until it’s smooth and creamy with each addition.
- Transfer 1/3 of the creamy mixture into a bowl & Add both food colorings, stirring to combine. Tightly cover both bowls and refrigerate until the firm to the touch.
- Once the filling has fully set and is firm, roll the yellowish orange filling into marble sized balls, then wrap it with the solid white filling. The white filling should be approximate twice the size of the colored center, as you add the filling shape it into an egg and place on parchment paper. (repeat until all egg fillings have been created)
- Refrigerate these overnight.
- Melt the chocolate and shortening together in a double boiler.
- Dip the chilled centers (you can use a fork if you don’t have dipping utensils).
- Alternatively, you can purchase easter egg molds online, fill the mold partway with chocolate, place the egg filling inside, then top with melted chocolate.