Carving your own Jack-o-Lantern can be a family tradition! As you can see from the photos above, our family certainly looks forward to this treat each year.
- How to Choose a Pumpkin
- Free Patterns-Choose from a Wide Selection of Free Printable Pumpkin Carving Templates
- Special Occasions – these include watermelon carvings for weddings, anniversaries, BBQ Centerpieces and more
1. Choose a pumpkin – be sure it is firm, without any soft spots or nicks.
2. Top Off! Carefully cut off the top, you can do this in a variety of ways. Cut in a circle, leaving a small notch to make it easier to place the top back on. Next, scoop out all of the innards, use a spoon to carefully scrape the inside clean!
3. Wipe your Pumpkin off and apply your chosen template to the pumpkin. If you have pumpkin carving tools, great- use the poking tool to poke small holes through the template (into your pumpkin) tracking all along the lines of the pattern. If you don’t have pumpkin carving tools, you can use a small nail, Straighten Paper Clip, fine point pen, etc.
4. Carving! Now that you’ve carefully traced your pumpkin, remove the pattern and set it aside. Begin carefully carving out your design. Depending on the design, this may take up to 2 hours! Take your time and try not to twist your pumpkin saw when you get to “corners” or you could break your saw.
5. Light’er Up! Now is a great time to insert a pumpkin battery light or candle. Light up your masterpiece, turn out the lights and share your work with the world.