- 1 long-sleeved pink/white polo shirt or long-sleeved pink/white leotard
- 1 pair of pink/white tights
- 1 yard of pink/white felt
- 3 pipe cleaners
- VELCRO® brand STICKY BACK® tape or coins
- 2 yards of iron-on backing material (interfacing)
- 1 package of silver gems of silver glitter
- white fabric glue
- white thread, scissors, pins, tape measure
Iron backing material to felt. Using brown wrapping paper, make a wing pattern in shape shown below. Enlarge pattern size as necessary to proportionately fit child. Cut front and back, left and right wings of felt and interfacing. Fuse the iron-on backing to front and back, left and right wings. With backing sides together, glue or stitch felt wings together. Also, glue or stitch left and right wings together at the narrow flap to make the wings into one piece.
Separate the two halves of the STICKY BACK® tape.
Apply the hook half of three 3″ strips of VELCRO® brand STICKY BACK® tape or three STICKY BACK® coins about 1/2″ apart to the narrow flap that forms the center back of the wings. Apply the loop side of the VELCRO® brand tape or coins to the back center of the polo shirt; press tapes together to fasten wings onto polo shirt.
Decorate wings and headband with silver gems secured with VELCRO® brand coins. Add glitter in a random design for extra sparkle.
Skirt: Additional Materials
- 2 pieces of white tulle – 72″ X 18″, for bottom layer of skirt,
- 2 pieces of irridescent white lame – 72″ X 18″, for middle layer of skirt,
- 2 pieces of white-and-gold/silver patterned netting – 72″ X 18″, for top layer of skirt,
- 1/8 yard white satin, for waistband,
- 3/4 yard VELCRO® brand SOFT & FLEXIBLE SEW-ON Tape,
- 1 yards gold/silver sequins for trimming.
To make the waistband, measure the child’s waist and cut a piece of satin to waist measurement, plus 4″.
Cut the waistband piece as follows:
Waistband Piece = waistline size + 4″ long X 4″ wide.
Layer skirt fabrics as follows: white tulle on bottom, iridescent fabric in middle, and white/gold or silver netting on top. Keeping the long straight edges even, stitch two rows of machine basting along the straight edge. Pull basting stitches to gather the skirt. With right sides together, pin the skirt to one long edge of waistband, beginning and ending 1/2″ from each end of waistband. Stitch in place and remove pins. Fold the waistband in half, lengthwise, with right sides together, and stitch the short ends. Turn the waistband to right side and slipstitch the remaining long edge in place over waistband seam allowance. Stitch a 4″ piece of SEW-ON tape to each end of the waistband. Glue the sequins to the waistband for trimming.
Headpiece: Cut a piece of felt 2″ wide to the length of the circumference of the child’s head plus 2″ for the overlap. Use STICKY BACK® tape or coins to fasten headband.
Halo: Bend two pipe cleaners to form a circle and twist ends. Use one pipe cleaner to connect halo circle to head band at back. Secure to headband with STICKY BACK® tape.
VELCRO and STICKY BACK are registered trademarks of Velcro Industries B.V.
©1999 Velcro USA Inc.
Submitted to Budget101 Discussion list by Amber 2002