The smell and sight of a real tree during the holiday season is a blessing in many homes, but the chances of a fire increase considerably. Here is a solution you can create at home to help fire proof your Christmas tree so it will last through the holiday.
The threat of fire during the holiday season increases exponentially with the use of space heaters and candles. It’s imperative that if you have a live tree in your home you take measures to ensure it’s well-hydrated to reduce the risk of fire. Did you know that it can take less than 22 seconds for a tree to be fully engulfed and take over a room?
Christmas Tree Food Recipe
- 2 c. Karo Corn Syrup
- 2 oz. Liquid Chlorine Bleach
- 2 pinches Epsom Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Borax (found in the laundry aisle!)
- 1 tsp. Chelated Iron
Prior to cutting the tree mix your Christmas tree food fireproofing ingredients. Fill a two-gallon bucket with hot water to within one inch of the top then add ingredients and mix well. Make a fresh cut on the bottom of your Christmas tree with a saw. Try to cut level taking off at least one inch. Immediately stand the tree in this solution and let it sit for 24 hours.
Place your tree in a stand with a well where liquids can be poured (SAVE REMAINING SOLUTION). After your tree is in the stand fill the Christmas tree food solution from the bucket into the tree well using a cup or other smaller container.
Every day without exception, the well of the tree stand must be “TOPPED-UP” with the Christmas tree food solution from the two-gallon bucket.
Follow these simple directions and help fire proof your Christmas tree (as fireproof as possible, that is!) so it will last through the holiday. It may save your home and family from those fire tragedies we always hear about around the holidays.
How does the Christmas Tree Food work?
The corn syrup provides the sugar necessary to allow the base of the tree to take up water. Up to 1.5 gallons of water can be taken up by the tree over a two week period. Boron in the “Borax” allows the tree to move the water and sugar out to every branch and needles in your tree.
Magnesium compounds in the Epsom Salt and Iron form the chelated iron provide essential components for the production of chlorophyll which will keep the tree green. The bleach helps to prevent mold from forming in your solution.
Some of the other beneficial side-effects of this procedure are that the needles will not drop and you will notice an increase in natural pine fragrance. Happy Holidays!
Disclaimer – common sense applies, If you neglect to water your tree and it dries out, it’s a fire hazard. Nothing is fool-proof, this is only to help keep the tree alive for a few weeks & reduce the risk of fire.