Celebrate in style like the Dursley’s did with this delicious Violet Pudding Recipe, Hopefully, no one will be wearing it at your party!
Aunt Petunia’s Violet Pudding
1 cup of water
2 cups granulated sugar
4 cups violets (washed, drained, stemmed).
2 cartons whipping cream OR 2-3 containers whipped cream
- Combine water and sugar; stir until sugar has dissolved completely, then add violets.
- Place on medium heat and let simmer until the syrup becomes 234ºF on a candy thermometer.
- Stir gently with a wooden spoon; remove from heat and continue stirring until syrup begins to crystallize and become slightly coarse.
- Drain in a colander, shake off excess sugar and place on wax paper.
- When cool enough, pack violets into clean jars.
- Whip cream until stiff and slightly firm OR spoon/spray whipped cream into a pan or bowl.
- Place flowers on the cream in the desired decoration.
submitted by Marie Rosemount
Here’s another lovely version of Aunt Petunia’s Pudding by the Magical Kitchen:
Aunt Petunia’s Violet Pudding (2)
1/4 cup almond paste or marzipan
1 drop each red and blue food coloring
3/4 cup mascarpone
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tbsp sugar
Combine the food coloring with the almond paste, mashing them together using the back of a metal spoon.
- Form small marble-sized oval-shaped balls by rolling them in your hands and place on wax paper about 2 inches apart.
- Cover the balls with a piece of wax paper and gently press each one down flat, without breaking the oval shape.
- Form them into violet flowers by pinching the center of each oval.
- Then, cut petals using scissors by making a single cut down the center of the top oval and two cuts to the bottom side of the oval, creating 5 petals total.
- Gently round the sharp corners of the petals and place them into the refrigerator to firm. Place them on a wax paper with the top of the flower facing down, stem pointing up. Repeat for the rest of the flowers.
Using a hand mixer, beat the mascarpone in a bowl until it has softened.
- In a separate bowl, beat the heavy whipping cream and sugar together until it is light and fluffy.
- Fold the mascarpone into the whipped cream, transfer into your serving dish or small individual cups, and place into the refrigerator to firm up.
- When you are ready to serve, decorate the creamy cloud of pudding with the almond paste violets.