Acid Pops have a wonderful combination of sour taste and the crunchy pop texture as they explode on your tongue make these a delightful addition to any Harry Potter fare.
Fizzing Candy- Such as Pop Rocks
Roll the lollipops in fizzing candy and you instantly get Acid Pops! Great fun at parties.
Generally speaking, pop rocks have a tendency to lose their “pop” if the moisture content is too high. These are best left to be assembled last minute.
How to Make Your Own Pop Rocks Candy
Pop Rocks Candy Recipe
A note about the ingredients, if you’re using a cooking flavoring extract you’ll need about a teaspoon. However, if you’re using concentrated candy flavoring oils, you’ll likely need a few drops to 1/4 teaspoon instead.
1. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and place it on a cooling rack (to allow for air flow).
2. Stir together the sugar, corn syrup, water, and cream of tartar in a heavy saucepan over medium heat with a wooden spoon until the sugar crystals dissolve.
3. Continue to stir, using a pastry brush dampened with warm water to dissolve any sugar crystals clinging to the sides of the pan, then stop stirring as soon as the syrup starts to boil. Do not allow sugar crystals to accumulate on the sides of the pan as this will cause the candy to crystallize prematurely and ruin your finished product.
4. Place the candy thermometer in the pan, but do not allow it to rest on the bottom or sides, and let the syrup boil without stirring until the thermometer just reaches 300° F (hard-crack stage).
5. Remove the pan from the heat immediately and let the syrup cool to about 275°F.
6. Add the flavoring of your choice, color of your choice (a couple of drops should do!), and citric acid.
7. Work quickly to pour the syrup onto the prepared cookie sheet and let cool for about 10 minutes.
8. Let the candy cool for at least 10 minutes, until it solidifies completely. Break into pieces, then wrap individually in plastic wrap or cellophane and seal with tape or twist ties. Store in a cool, dry place.