Why you should Make Your Own Homemade Mixes
Have you ever made homemade mixes? With a little organization, tightly sealed containers, and labels, you can create pantry mixes from scratch in no time flat! When you create your own make-ahead mixes it allows you to control what exactly goes into the mix. If you are on a low sodium diet, leave out or reduce the salt content.
Aiming to eat a low-fat diet, then replace with low-fat ingredients. Making your homemade mixes yourself, really allows you to create exactly what you want. Also if you’re in need of some inspiration, check out our extensive popular pantry staples, that you will want to make at home!
I am going to share all the reasons why I love having homemade mixes filling the shelves in my pantry. You can decide for yourself if you too want to start creating those same mixes to use for meals you serve up.
Types of Homemade Mix Recipes
Control The Ingredients
As we stated above you can easily control the ingredients when you make your own homemade make ahead mixes. You can choose the ingredients that go into your mix. If you have food allergies or a special diet, you can skip items you don’t want. Keep out additives, special dyes, or preservatives.
Convenience Of Ready Made Mixes
When you are in a hurry to get a meal made and on the table, you can relax because you have your pre-made mixes ready. Having your make-ahead mixes stashed in your pantry makes for a simple dinner. Having the mixes on hand will help save you time that you might not always have, and prevent you from having to run to the store or change dinner ideas.
Nothing is better than being able to save time when I need to get a meal on the table. Having mixes on hand allows me to have the convenience of a store-bought mix using my own recipes. When my little ones are looking for something to eat I prefer to be able to make it in the shortest amount of time possible. Mixes can help with that.
Let’s be honest, having homemade mixes on hand, taste better. They are not full of fillers or preservatives, so you will have a better flavor in your dish.
Pre-made convenience foods can really be costly, so making your mixes from scratch can save you a lot of money. You can make so much more of the mix you love for the price you would pay for one small box. I am all about saving money, and this is one area that is a no-brainer to me.
A few of our Favorite Mixes
- Holiday Scone Mix With the holidays upon us, this is one of my go-to recipes. We eat these for breakfast, and they are just heavenly. Oats, chopped pecans, mini chocolate chips, create the perfect scone.
- Chocolate Waffle Mix This mix is so easy to make and boy do the waffles taste amazing. I love to make this on a weekend and sit down and eat breakfast with the family.
- BisquickYes you can make your own Bisquick recipe at home! This is super simple to make and so much more affordable – in fact it’s a 67% savingsover store-bought!
- Bean Soup Mix This is one hearty soup that is perfect for the chilly months. A soup that the whole family will love.
- Onion Soup Mix A lot of recipes call for onion soup mix, so why not create your own. With just a few ingredients you can have this in your pantry ready for your next meal.
- Chocolate Brownie Mix This is a must-have item in our home. I love brownies and anything sweet for that matter, so having this on hand when my cravings hit, is perfect.
- Hazelnut Cookie Mix Talk about one decadent cookie, these are a beauty! I serve these up for my family and when a guest comes over, and they get gobbled up fast.
- Beer Bread This is a bread that goes well with a hearty soup, salad, or any dish for that matter. We have this in our dinner rotation often, it is so good.
- Breakfast Muffin Mix If you freshly baked muffins, you’ll love this one. It’s super simple to whip up and the flavors of dried cherries, bits of lemon and walnuts are wonderful and you have a hearty flavorful muffin for breakfast on the go.
- Hidden Valley Ranch Copycat Recipe If you love ranch dressing than this is a must make mix. It tastes just like ranch and you can whip it up within a few minutes.
- Gingerbread Coffee Creamer Mix Love to drink coffee in the morning or anytime of day for that matter. Make homemade creamers like this gingerbread creamer. A great way to spice up your cup of joe.