Creating a buffet-style meal for a large family gathering is a great way to celebrate any occasion, graduations, Thanksgiving, Christmas, birthdays, family reunions and more. It can overwhelming trying to figure out just how much food you’ll need per person.
Here are some easy guidelines to follow:
For individual meats, fish, poultry:
- 5 – 6 ounces per person
- If the cuts of meat have bones in them, figure on 8 oz per person
For multiple meat meals and buffets (such as deli trays):
- 3 – 5 ounces per person
For pasta dishes:
- A pound will serve 4 – 6 people
- 2 oz for a side dish, per person
- 3 oz for a first course, per person
- 4 oz for a main dish, per person
- If figuring a premixed salad, estimate one handful per person.
- One head of lettuce will feed approximately 5 people, 4 medium heads will serve 15-20.
- Other Vegetables- 4 oz per person
- Estimate about 8 items total per person.
- Make 2-4 of each item per person, keeping in mind that everyone may not take all of the items.
- 1 Slice of cake, tart or pastry
- 4 oz pudding/mousse
- 5 oz ice creamCalculate one full portion of dessert per person.
- For multiple desserts, people tend to sample smaller portions of each item.
Keep in mind that the more food choices you offer, the smaller the serving sizes will be.
Some worthwhile tips:
- When creating trays of cold-cuts of meats and cheeses, make smaller trays. This is easier to store in the fridge, easier to replace on the table, take up less room and also look a bit classier than refilling the large tray.
- If there are several desserts to choose from, set up a separate dessert table. This makes it easier to replenish the desserts, but also for people to “graze” without wandering down the buffet line with those still trying to eat lunch/dinner.
- Be sure to keep cold foods COLD and hot foods HOT to avoid potential food poisoning. It’s considerably easier to keep smaller dishes warm (or cold) as needed and refill.
- Chafing dishes can be purchased very inexpensively and reused multiple times. (Although you’ll need new sterno!). If the party is very informal, small kiddie pools filled with ice work lovely for drinks and various salad dishes.
- Disposable tableware, plastic ware, and cups can save a considerable amount of clean-up time, allowing you more chance to enjoy your guests