Dogs feel most secure in a “den” type of crate. If you have a wire crate, your pet may not feel secure or may be easily frightened by activity around him. In addition, these types of crates are often drafty, particularly during the winter months. Here is a simple, inexpensive, do it yourself dog crate cover idea that is washable.
How to Make a Dog Crate Cover
- Tape measure
- Fabric, this can be as simple as old sheets, non-fuzzy comforters, or quilts
- Needle and thread or sewing machine
- Fabric glue (optional)
First, measure the crate to get an accurate idea of how much fabric you need. Measure the top, (from front to back, as well as the sides, top to bottom, front to back.
Typical Size Dog Crates are:
- 22″ size dog crate for small size breeds
- 24″ size dog crate for small breeds weighing up to 25 lbs
- 30″ size dog crate for medium breeds weighing between 26-40 lbs
- 36″ size dog crate for large breeds weighing between 41 – 70 lbs
- 42″ size dog crate for x-large breeds weighing between 71 – 90 lbs
- 48″ size dog crate for xx-large breeds weighing between 91 – 150 lbs
- 52″ size dog crate for giant dogs weighing over 150 lbs
You’ll need to cut 4 pieces of fabric:
For example- a 36″ dog crate for a large breed dog weighing up to 70lbs- your measurements would be:
35L x 24W x 27.25H
For Lighter Fabrics, such as sheets Add 1.5″ to the measurement for sewing/seams. For heavier fabrics, such as blankets, add 2″ for seams.
You would need 2 pieces of fabric 36.5″x25.5″ and 3 pieces of fabric 26.5″x 28.75″
Measure the fabric ( a piece of chalk works great for making lines on blankets or sheets) and cut it out. Make sure you have measured out ALL the pieces before cutting!
~Pin the pieces together, inside out.
~On the “door” end, you will only be sewing the TOP of the fabric to attach it as a Panel which can be “Rolled Up” and secured in place.
~ Sew or glue the seam pf each of the side panels to the top panel.
~ Finish off the seams
Turn the cover right side out and slide it over the dog crate. Alternatively, you could purchase one online.
© Can Stock Photo Inc. / Colecanstock