• Dirt Cheap, Self Watering Grow Buckets

    Comments 12 Comments
    1. Liss's Avatar
      Liss -
      Here's an updated Photo, this is my eggplant 1 week Later
      Attachment 13495
      I've also spliced in several more containers and added Coffee Plants and this lemon Tree, which has blossomed out lovely. If you look close you can see a few tiny lemons started!

      Attachment 13496
    1. Liss's Avatar
      Liss -
      Here is the eggplant at about 6 weeks
    1. Matt101's Avatar
      Matt101 -
      I have a bell pepper plant I planted (as a seed) in dirt. It's 3 years old now, but for the life of me I cannot get any large peppers on the plant. I basically have 'mini foods' growing. How in the world do you get the peppers to really grow?
    1. Liss's Avatar
      Liss -
      Quote Originally Posted by Matt101 View Post
      I have a bell pepper plant I planted (as a seed) in dirt. It's 3 years old now, but for the life of me I cannot get any large peppers on the plant. I basically have 'mini foods' growing. How in the world do you get the peppers to really grow?
      It's probably magnesium deficient. Give it a boost using a a bit of epsom salt dissolved in warm water. There's an article about this in the gardening section.
    1. crash0200's Avatar
      crash0200 -
      Do you add more fertilizer over the growing season?
    1. FreebieQueen's Avatar
      FreebieQueen -
      Quote Originally Posted by crash0200 View Post
      Do you add more fertilizer over the growing season?

      We didn't add extra to ours, if you do, you'd just dissolve it in your water and add it periodically. We're going to add fish to our water container and let them naturally fertilize the next round.
    1. Vanessa004's Avatar
      Vanessa004 -
      This is absolutely amazing, I can't believe how easy that is! I am making a bunch this week and starting them in the bedroom. I've already started my seedlings in old TP tubes.
    1. Slsallee's Avatar
      Slsallee -
      I realize this is an old post but I am wondering about the use of the colander. What is its purpose and does it go upside down in the bucket?
    1. Liss's Avatar
      Liss -
      Quote Originally Posted by Slsallee View Post
      I realize this is an old post but I am wondering about the use of the colander. What is its purpose and does it go upside down in the bucket?
      It keeps the water flow even, and it goes in right side up.
    1. Jsalinaz's Avatar
      Jsalinaz -
      Hi. So I’m trying to figure out what you use for nutrition for the plants please?
    1. Liss's Avatar
      Liss -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jsalinaz View Post
      Hi. So I’m trying to figure out what you use for nutrition for the plants please?


      "Fill the bottom of the bucket with water. Add a layer of your soilless growing mixture. Soak it with the hose, add a layer of slow release natural fertilizer. Add more growing mix, water, it's imperative that the layers are initially wet or it will not activate the wicking ability of the product, causing your plants to dry out and die. Repeat until the bucket is full, add a light layer of fertilizer near the top as well."


      We've also used Live fish in the barrel as natural fertilizer but noticed certain plants didn't grow as well, our Lemon tree and coffee plants, specifically.
    1. Jsalinaz's Avatar
      Jsalinaz -
      Quote Originally Posted by Liss View Post
      "Fill the bottom of the bucket with water. Add a layer of your soilless growing mixture. Soak it with the hose, add a layer of slow release natural fertilizer. Add more growing mix, water, it's imperative that the layers are initially wet or it will not activate the wicking ability of the product, causing your plants to dry out and die. Repeat until the bucket is full, add a light layer of fertilizer near the top as well."


      We've also used Live fish in the barrel as natural fertilizer but noticed certain plants didn't grow as well, our Lemon tree and coffee plants, specifically.
      Ok, cool. I made the mistake of trying to do liquid nutrition and it’s just a lot of work. Thanks for the advice.
    Comments Leave Comment

    Click here to log in Or Click Here to Register for Free

    How many hours are there in 1 week?

    📢 All Article comments are moderated to prevent 💩
  • Budget101.com Digging Yourself Out of Debt, when all you have is a Spoon!
  • More Gardening Ideas:
    Liss

    Re: Landscaping Ideas on a Budget

    It really depends on your level of skill. There are numerous inexpensive Kits available (like the one you linked to) that you could use to get started. I've built several sheds myself and they're...

    Liss 07-18-2018, 06:28 AM Go to last post
    PopAlexandra

    Re: Landscaping Ideas on a Budget

    Thanks for sharing. Would you recommend getting some professional help if I plan to build some sheds?

    PopAlexandra 07-17-2018, 04:54 PM Go to last post
  • Recently Shared . . .

    Super Laundry Sauce for Dummies
    Super Laundry Sauce for Dummies


    Are you a bit domestically challenged? Try our Super Laundry Sauce for Dummies! This 7 minute, no-cook laundry detergent recipe makes anough Heavy Duty Laundry Detergent to wash 128 Loads of laundry, but it takes up very little room and less than $2.00 to make.

    How to Measure and Install Storm Windows
    How to Measure and Install Storm Windows


    How to Measure and Install Storm Windows In cold weather, one-third of the heat lost in your home seeps out through gaps in doors and windows. Storm windows create a tight seal, which blocks heat loss. This lowers your utility bills and helps make you more comfortable in the winter. To ensure a tight fit, you need to measure properly for storm windows and install them correctly. Storm Window Types Storm windows fall into two general types: exterior and interior. Exterior storm windows go over your existing home windows. They can alter your home's curbside appeal, but do not affect your home's interior. With exterior storm windows in place, you can still open and close the windows at will. Interior storm windows go on the inside of the windowsill. This makes them invisible from the home exterior but highly visible from inside. With interior storm windows in place,

    Autumn Candle Lights
    Autumn Candle Lights


    How to make your own Decorative Candle centerpieces that can be easily transformed for each season