- 1 c. sugar
- 1/2 c. water
- 1 T. Cinnamon
- 2 c. Almonds or Pecans or Walnuts
In a medium size saucepan mix cinnamon and sugar until blended.
Add water, stirring well. If you've combine
Bring to a boil over medium heat, add nuts (any variety you prefer).
Continue boiling, stirring constantly, over med heat until nearly ALL of the water evaporates. (This is different for everyone, for me it took about 5 minutes. However, I store nuts in the freezer so they were literally ice cold when I added them to the pan). Some folks report taking up to 12 minutes for this step.
Pour onto a cooking sheet covered in parchment or wax paper. I prefer parchment paper because it's easier to reuse for multiple batches of nuts.
You'll need to work quickly! Separate the nuts from each other using a fork, so they will be equally sugared and
Here's a batch of Sugared Pecans, dh's favorite!
Tips and Notes:
These can be given as gifts in jars, simply attach a pretty ribbon & tag to the jar. They can also be given as cone gifts. Place 1 cup in the corner of a ziploc bag, tie with ribbon and trim the bag with scissors.
Places to Get Nuts Cheaper:
- Sam's Club- has 3 lb bags of Almonds for $9.
- Costco -frequently has bulk pkgs of nuts inexpensively
- Trader Joes- reportedly has bulk nuts less expensively
- Aldi's - frequently has containers of cashews and walnuts about half the price of walmart
If you know of a great place to a deal on nuts, please add it in the comments section below!
- If you fail to cook until the liquid evaporates, you will get a "pooling" of sugar when your pour out the nuts.
- Not cooking it long enough will make the nuts look glossy rather than sugared.
They'll still taste fine, it just changes the presentation of the gift.