• Irish Soda Bread Mix

    Comments 7 Comments
    1. Shellc1971's Avatar
      Shellc1971 -
      Being 3/4 Irish, I really dislike when recipes like this say "traditional". While they may be traditional to a family, they certainly are not the authentic Irish Soda Bread. If the recipe calls for anything OTHER THAN flour, buttermilk (or sour milk), baking soda and salt, it is a MODIFIED version. If it adds yeast or baking powder, sugar, eggs or items like that, it is now a cake and no longer bread. The peasants in Ireland could not afford much and certainly not currants, caraway seeds, butter, and all the other "fancy" ingredients of our time. The true/authentic recipe is as follows:

      4 cups all purpose flour.
      1 Teaspoon baking soda
      1 Teaspoon salt
      14 oz of buttermilk or sour milk

      Preheat the oven to 425 F. degrees. Lightly crease and flour a cake pan.

      In a large bowl sieve and combine all the dry ingredients.

      Add the buttermilk to form a sticky dough. Place on floured surface and lightly knead (too much allows the gas to escape)

      Shape into a round flat shape in a round cake pan and cut a cross in the top of the dough.

      Cover the pan with another pan and bake for 30 minutes (this simulates the bastible pot). Remove cover and bake for an additional 15 minutes.

      The bottom of the bread will have a hollow sound when tapped so show it is done.

      Cover the bread in a tea towel and lightly sprinkle water on the cloth to keep the bread moist.
    1. HelenM01's Avatar
      HelenM01 -
      Thank you so much for adding your info!! Although not Irish, I grew up with a friend who is and her Mom used to make this all the time!! Everyone has a hard time finding a recipe that comes close to what she used to make, and of course she would never have had a need to write it down!!
      I will be trying this out!
      She also used to make what she called a potato bread, which she seemed to make similar (?) but it was done on the stove in a frying pan. It wasn't like a flat bread though, I don't think! Have to search for that one!
      Thanks again
    1. Ctribb's Avatar
      Ctribb -
      Just made the recipe that is posted in the article, not the one above in the comment section. My soda bread did nothing but crumble and was way too dry. I followed the directions exactly. I think maybe the flour mixture needs cut in half or something?
    1. martinaw's Avatar
      martinaw -
      soda bread dont have currents caraway seeds for a start off its brown soda bread not white wot you u have there is current white bread
    1. CountryGrl21's Avatar
      CountryGrl21 -
      Quote Originally Posted by martinaw View Post
      soda bread dont have currents caraway seeds for a start off its brown soda bread not white wot you u have there is current white bread

      LOL Your comment made me seriously laugh out loud, to the point of my family asking what I was roaring about, because when I read it I thought, Yes, that Soda Bread is Just about as Irish as your Post is ENGLISH. hahahahaha

      I think what you meant is, "Soda bread doesn't have currents, caraway seeds as it is a brown bread, not a white bread. What you have there is a current white bread."

      See how much easier it is to understand when you use actual English?

      As for the recipe, this is a very common Irish Soda Bread recipe. Google it
    1. AndreaGwyn's Avatar
      AndreaGwyn -
      Quote Originally Posted by Ctribb View Post
      Just made the recipe that is posted in the article, not the one above in the comment section. My soda bread did nothing but crumble and was way too dry. I followed the directions exactly. I think maybe the flour mixture needs cut in half or something?
      When you measured the flour did you scoop it into the measuring cup or did you scoop the cup into the flour and pack the cup, that makes a huge difference.
    1. Meg18's Avatar
      Meg18 -
      Quote Originally Posted by CountryGrl21 View Post
      LOL Your comment made me seriously laugh out loud, to the point of my family asking what I was roaring about, because when I read it I thought, Yes, that Soda Bread is Just about as Irish as your Post is ENGLISH. hahahahaha

      I think what you meant is, "Soda bread doesn't have currents, caraway seeds as it is a brown bread, not a white bread. What you have there is a current white bread."

      See how much easier it is to understand when you use actual English?

      As for the recipe, this is a very common Irish Soda Bread recipe. Google it
      Dear English expert, they are currants, not currents. Who's laughing now??
    Comments Leave Comment

    Click here to log in Or Click Here to Register for Free

    How many hours are there in 1 week?

    📢 All Article comments are moderated to prevent 💩
  • Disclaimer: The use of any trademarked names on or within the pages of Budget101.com should not be considered an endorsement by the trademark holders. All Trademark rights remain the property of their respective holders and are solely being used a brief descriptive of the recipes being provided.
  • Recently Shared . . .

    MYO Crab Rangoons
    MYO Crab Rangoons


    Make your own mouth watering Crab Rangoons - forget the take-out, you can make these Anytime!

    German Currywurst
    German Currywurst


    Recreate this famous German Dish at home with this authentic German Currywurst recipe from Budget101.com

    Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef
    Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef


    Slow cooker Mongolian Beef is one of the easiest and tastiest dump-it and run recipes we've encountered. You can use cheaper, tougher cuts of beef as they will become meltingly tender in a silkily textured sauce bursting with flavor.