- This topic is empty.
- August 18, 2020 at 8:41 am #587013mosParticipant
1 1/2 pounds zucchini
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbs olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
8 oz spinach, frozen and chopped
1 lb ground beef
1 lb ricotta cheese
1/2 cup basil, chopped fresh or parsley
2 cups pasta sauce, tomato-based, use any variety with no sugar
8 oz mozzarella cheese, low sodium, shredded
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, fresh, shredded
Prepare the Zucchini Noodles
- Slice the zucchini into strips, length-wise. The strips should be about 1/8-inch thick. A mandolin-type slicer works best. Discard any pieces that are mostly peel.
- Put the zucchini strips into a colander and sprinkle them with salt. Toss together to coat.
- After 10 to 15 min, toss the strips again so that the brine will evenly coat the strips. Drain for at least 1 hour.
- Spread the zucchini strips on a paper towel or a cotton tea towel to absorb most of the surface liquid.
- Make the Sauce and Filling
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, bell pepper, and spinach. Cook until the onions are transparent, but before the bell peppers brown, about 3 to 5 min.
- If making this without meat, move on to the next step. Otherwise, add the ground beef to the skillet. Be sure to break up the ground meat into crumbles with a spatula or wooden spoon as it cooks. Stir occasionally and cook until the meat is brown. Drain and set aside.
- Combine the ricotta, eggs, and basil or parsley in a separate bowl.
- Put 1/2 cup of the pasta sauce into the bottom of a 9×13-inch pan.
- Combine the remaining sauce with the drained vegetable and ground beef mixture (or just vegetables if not using beef). Set aside.
- Cover the sauce in the pan with a layer of zucchini strips. Then cover the zucchini with about 1/3 of the ricotta mixture, 1/3 of the sauce mixture, and 1/3 of the mozzarella cheese.
- For the second layer, arrange the zucchini strips in the other direction, perpendicular to the first layer. Repeat with ricotta, sauce, and mozzarella.
- Alternate direction of zucchini again for the third layer, and finish with remaining ricotta, sauce, and mozzarella. Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake the lasagna until the cheese is golden brown, about 30 min.
- Remove from the oven and let stand for 5 to 15 min. This will allow the lasagna to cool just enough to ensure cutting and serving is easier and less messy. Serves 8
Attachments:You must be logged in to view attached files.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.