Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Hi, I am new to gardening and I planted some herbs this year. I have some chives that grow back every year and I was wondering if my other herbs will too. I planted dill, parsley, spearmint and basil.

I will try others next year as well. If anyone would let me know which herbs grow back and which ones I have to start as seedlings every year, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

Avatar for WoodngemsFreebieQueen

@Woodngems 226993 wrote:

Hi, I am new to gardening and I planted some herbs this year. I have some chives that grow back every year and I was wondering if my other herbs will too. I planted dill, parsley, spearmint and basil. I will try others next year as well. If anyone would let me know which herbs grow back and which ones I have to start as seedlings every year, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

Dill will come back, as long as it doesn’t get too cold. It can only stand temps dropping to -4.
      Parsley– Though parsley is technically a perennial, it usually goes to seed in its second year and so is grown as an annual.
      Spearmint- is a perennial
      Basil- is an annual (usually) although there are some varieties that are perennial such as Holy basil and african blue

Other Perennial Herbs:

Bay
      Bergamot
      Chamomile
      Chives
      Fennel
      Horseradish
      Horsetail
      Juniper
      Lemon Balm
      Lovage
      Pot Marjoram
      Mint
      Oregano
      Rosemary
      Sage
      Savory
      Sorrel
      Sweet Cicely
      Tarragon
      Thyme
      Valerian
      Verbena

Some herbs have a tendency to “Take-Over” the garden, particularly Mints. These can be planted in pots and the pots planted in the garden to prevent this. It gives the plants a chance to grow & come back every year without taking over.

Yeah, definitely Dill will come back. I had a pot of it last year, but the heat got it…but it’s already came back. 🙂

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.