Budget101 Discussion List Archives Frugal Savings Which is more frugal, hand washing or dishwasher?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

My husband and I bought a house last summer and it came with a dishwasher. We were so excited because it was the first we ever had! Now, it’s a burden.

It’s a piece of junk and never gets the dishes clean. We usually end up washing the food junks off after the cycle anyway. Dh has suggested getting a new one but I wonder if it’s more frugal to just hand wash.

Any ideas?

This all depends on how many dishes that you have on a daily basis. When I had kids at home the dishwasher was necessary.

If you decide to purchase a dishwasher there are a few things to keep in mind.
      1. Dishwashers with stainless steel in sides tend to wash better.
      2. Make sure the dishwasher heats the water to a sanitary temperature.

Keep in mind there are a lot of different dishwasher detergents available to use. Your water will decide which one works best for you.
      4. If you rinse you dishes before loading the dishwasher find one with a quick wash.

The newer dishwashers are so much better than a older one.
      6. Can all of your dishes including pots and pans be washed in the dishwasher?

This really is a personal preference. For me being able to scrape a plate and put everything into the dishwasher and get clean dishes out is worth it.

Thanks LLindsay! That’s some good info I would never have thought about!

Keep a pail next to your sink so when your done washing dishes you can reuse the water to water your indoor plants and outdoor plants.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login Register

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Frugal Savings Which is more frugal, hand washing or dishwasher?