Stuff I’d Like to See General Where the H*** have you been?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I have to admit, my life has felt like I have been in the pits of hell the last couple months.

We found out that the slumlord was selling the duplex we had been renting for the last five years — whatever — it was a crap hole that needed a lot (and i mean a lot) of electrical, plumbing, furnace, and structural work…so began the hunt for a new home.

it is a whole other world when looking for real estate and being on a crunch time frame — and then there’s the deepest pits of hell when you find a house you can afford and it’s on the foreclosure list. why must you sign every page of what seems like a 1400 page novel??? Seriously — all our technology, and it’s still a long, drawn out process. ugh!!

Sign, sign here, re-sign, resubmit, blah, blah, blah.

In the end, 2 months later, we have a new house — all our own, that went through a $40,000 total house renovation (that they lost in foreclosure) — and so no renovation we need to do.

We now live between 4 different yacht clubs (why don’t we own a boat? oh yeah, we are poor) — so we have great views, great breezes (soon to be great snows? 🙁 ), and wonderful elderly peaceful neighbors…

geez —

everything took a backseat when the threat of being forced out of your old house came to the forefront — i’ve neglected everything … thankfully, school was already done for the semester, and i was smart in not taking summer courses!

also, since we moved from michigan to ohio — someone got smart a long time ago and created a reciprocity agreement between ohio and michigan — thus keeping our tuition costs the same as in-state residents, though we are a state further south.

our drive time to eastern michigan university increased by 9 miles — but that’s nothing on the big scheme of things…

I am glad to be done moving — now to unpack … yay… not.

That’s almost as bad as packing —

Changing everything is a major pain … telephone, utilities, internet/tv, blah, blah, blah.

We bought our foreclosed, 2 bedroom/1 bath completed renovated house on 1 acre of land for a scant $17,000 … do you know how hard it is to get a mortgage for that low amount? LOL good grief!!!

The summer/winter taxes are $580 twice a year (not bad for the location!!)

and we finally told tmobile to shove it up their wazoo … we were paying $300 a month for 3 phone lines — crazy!! — instead we went with tracfone and no contract …

since we have a regular landline, if someone wants to call us, pick up the phone!

technology isn’t always a good thing… in the end, it almost seems like you are working to pay the big guy… time to get back to basics.

on the flip side, my husband and i were accepted into emu starting fall 2013 (daughter is still at Washtenaw Community in Ann Arbor)… and school starts in less than a month.

I need a vacation from my vacation — or somewhere life needs to slow down… before the start of the new semester.

Anywho — I neglected every website on the planet — including this one. :/

Welcome Back! Sounds like life has been hectic, but, now it is time to take a deep breath and count your blessings. Good luck with school and all.

Thanks; Virginia

Avatar for CulArtStudentbethaliz6894
      Participant

wow, you have really been through a lot over the last few months. I remember when we bought our first house, I was in 7th heaven. I understand what you are talking about with the phones.

we have a landline and I carry a tracfone. we pay for a years contract, and get double of minutes for life of the phone. I never run out of minutes.

I don’t like cell phones, I think people spend entirely to much time on them. I really hate it when you are talking to someone and they pull the phone out of their pocket and start texting. I think the cell phones have made America ruder by the minute.

Keymaster

Hey lady, welcome back! So glad to hear that you’re getting settled in again and things are slowing down for you finally. I hate Slumlords! Congratulations on the new house, sounds like you got a great deal on it. Really glad to hear that they have a reciprocity agreement too! What a difference that makes!! Transferring credits is a nightmare, we’re going through that with our oldest son who graduates this year.

Congratulations again on the New House!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Stuff I’d Like to See General Where the H*** have you been?