Free Stuff ~Coupons Galore ~ Hot Deals Chatter What’s your splurge and/or weakness?

Viewing 51 reply threads
  • Author

I know we all are trying to save money and cut back, but I’m wondering what other peoples splurges and weaknesses are. Two things that can set me back are coming up sometime this week. Semi-annual clearance sale at Yankee Candle and also at Bath and Body Works.

I still have some scented candles (even though only one more Yankee candle) and I still have 4 bottles of scented lotion from the last big sale at B&bw. i’m only fooling myself when i try to tell myself i will not buy anything for me, that little deamon sitting on my shoulder says unless it’s at least 75% off. i do pick up gifts for people on my list that like those things.

daughter in law birthday coming up soon and hostes gift i need soon. problem is i like that suff too and usually break down and treat myself (even though i don’t need it)

My biggest weakness is my Diet Dr. Pepper-go through that like it is water. I am one to start my day with a pot of coffee then the rest of the day with the pop/soda. I am working on replacing some with water but when I am home I fall back to the pop/soda rather than the water or tea or anything else.

I could really save a lot of money if I could lay off of the stuff. That seems to be the biggest thing that I keep trying to tell myself I will cut back on to save a little money-but hasn’t quite worked yet 🙂

Diet Coke, for sure.

And kitchen gadgets. Next week I am buying myself another one…a yogurt maker.

My weakness is scrapbooking anything! I have so much stuff for scrapbooking that I may never have to buy another thing, plus the Cricut. But I still look and treat myself if it’s on sale.

My biggest splurge is on my kids..Heard Kb toys is closing there doors for good this year so I plan on taking some money and go crazy with toys for upcoming birthdays and next christmas….
      My biggest weakness is takng better care of myself… Am changing that this year in 09.. Going on diet, stop drinking, and hopefully stop smoking..

should help me save some money on the drinking and smoking area… why it is a wekness is because somewhere in my brain I get caught up in bad habits of comfort and get off track.. this time i want to make it a habt to focus on me…

My big thing is kitchen items. I really need those cooling racks I tell myself. Also washrags I feel like I NEVER have enough of them. I bet I have over 100 !!!!

I mean I do but the cheap ones from walmart that’s how I justify it but I know it’s crazy to have so many.

I feel much better knowing I have some partners in crime who also treat themselves while still trying to save money. Ha Ha.

incheck4real, do you crocket? If so you would love making your own with the peaches and cream cotton yarn. So many cute patterns on the internet and they hold up so much better than the ones you buy.

My biggest weakness is chocolate!!! never met a piece of chocolate i didn’t like. altho’ i do prefer dark chocolate!

arleneb – you’re a wpman of impecable tastes!!!

Coffee 24/7 then I love a nice glass of wine

Yankee Candle-working there means that every week I’ve bought something. With the semi-annual, I’m getting all my gifts (except candles). I’m also getting a few things for myself.

I try to be smart about it however. I am getting 250.00 (sale cost-not retail. Retail cost is close to 600.00), but I’m only paying for 40.00.

Books are my weakness. I try to get them for free, but then I have so many that the cost of storing them becomes a problem. Kitchen stuff is quickly getting up there.

Shannon

Niddi – I really wish I could crochet (spelling sorry). I don’t know how to knit or sew either. I have even tried to find classes to learn how but there just aren’t any.

It really would save us so much money because Hubby is Big & tall and his clothes are soooooo expesive and thay are never a pattern he likes. He wants me to learn to sew so I can make him a plaid shirt. He wants that more than anything.

I guess I am doomed to a life of buying too many washrags !!! LOL

Quote:
      i really wish i could crochet (spelling sorry). i don’t know how to knit or sew either. i have even tried to find classes to learn how but there just aren’t any.

have you checked at a local senior center or even at a church?

sometimes the folks like to share how.

Quote:
      books are my weakness.

books use to be my weakness as well but i overcame that by using the library. mine will let me keep the book for five weeks. but i am one that once i read a book i remember it and usually do not read them again.

you can get the newest books for free, plus magazines, newspapers, and movies. this might help you to know which books to buy that you really want to keep instead of one that is just okay.

:great:Binkygirl I wish you success in overcoming your weakness. I’m not even going to try to overcome mine. It’s been lifelong.

Good Luck!!:041:
      Arlene

Incheck4real – if you would like to crochet go to Lion Brand Yarn website. They have great tutorials. Get some regular yarn and a big hook (J or K).

Start with a slip knot then chain then single crochet and go on from there. Stay with each one until you have it down before you go to the next. Be sure what you are doing looks like the pictures.

You can print out the pictures and practice whenever you have time. I taught myself to crochet many years ago. Now I like to use the tiny hooks & thread.

If I can teach myself so can you. Before long you’ll have to build another storage cabinet to hold all your wash rags!

BellaInara,
      if I worked at Yankee Candle I would probably end up burning my house down I’d have so many candles. They are the best. I’ve found some good smelling ones at Michael’s and on sale also, but none compare to Yankee Candles. Oh, the sacrifices we make!!!!!

Wilbe95.
      isn’t the library great! Sometimes I get the books on tape or the new Playaways and listen while I do housework or walk the dog.

Soda is my all time weekness. I’ve really cut back and working on dropping it all together.
      Dh has the candle weakness in our home..So please don’t tell him about Yankee Candles.. Or our budget will be shot out the back door.

Wilbe95.
      isn’t the library great! Sometimes I get the books on tape or the new Playaways and listen while I do housework or walk the dog.

It sure is! Mine has recently added a teen section and have the Wii playsystem for those in sixth grade and older.

It is a great social outlet for the kids-safe environment. Most of the games are sports ones none of the violent games.

I have saved so much money going to the library, the boys want to buy books through the school until we look at the library and find them there. They are still explorering and trying to find what kinds of books they like and love that they are not stuck with a book they just do not like.

caffeine free Pepsi and Chocolate is my budget blunders! Everything else is carefully planned for and thought out but send me out there alone and I will sure do it! No one sells my pepsi so of course I have to buy the whole 6 pack thing!

And gotta make sure I have enough chocolate to go with it! I’m learning will power- it’s been 6 whole month’s since my last pepsi!

Well, I have so many weaknesses!!! 🙂 I too love Dr. Pepper!!!! Seriousely, its an addiction.

I also love chocolate and candy!!! 🙂 Yankee Candles too! (Seems I share weaknesses with a lot of you!

🙂 ) I love the Yankee Candles that are Fall or Christmas Scents, like Harvest, Pumpkin Pie, Cinnamon, etc. Hubbie got me one this year calles “Feliz Navidad.” Its incredible!!!

I wish I had more of them!!! 🙂 Christmas decorations are also a weakness! I love Christmas!!!

I love Nativity Scenes most of all. I also love Snowmen & Reindeer, any kind of Christmas ornament. (Hubbie & I buy 2 or 3 ornaments each year.) Also love crafty stuff.

I cross stitch, make clay ornaments, scrapbook, etc.
      But I feel like I do pretty well. I don’t usually buy the candles, Christmas or crafty stuff unless it on a really good sale. 🙂

brchbell,
      wow six months without your pepsi, that’s a very impressive display of willpower. you need to give us some lessons.

@wilbe95 96786 wrote:

My biggest weakness is my Diet Dr. Pepper-go through that like it is water. I am one to start my day with a pot of coffee then the rest of the day with the pop/soda. I am working on replacing some with water but when I am home I fall back to the pop/soda rather than the water or tea or anything else.

I could really save a lot of money if I could lay off of the stuff. That seems to be the biggest thing that I keep trying to tell myself I will cut back on to save a little money-but hasn’t quite worked yet 🙂

I use to be the same way with Diet Pepsi ~ What worked for me was taking an emply Diet Pepsi bottle w/label and filling it with tap water and drinking that instead. Tricking my mind, by visually seeing the label. No more Diet Pepsi for me (maybe 1 every few weeks or if I go out to eat).

I use to drink a 12 pk everyday !!! Without fail. Warm, cold, flat it did not matter, but it had to be Diet Pepsi only.

Maybe that will work for you.

That is what I have been doing and I have actually managed to make it until at least 1:00pm before I get my first drink of the Diet Dr. Pepper. When I am work I will drink Diet Coke-it is okay but not the same, but I do drink less of it.

Too many weaknesses but I’m trying to cut down….. scrapbooking, books, a glass of wine, and diet pepsi…. I’d really like to cut the dp (drinking a 2l a day, at least).

We love to watch movies but Netflix has helped with that….

Cheers to Chocolate!!! I’ve been a chocoholic all my life.

I tend to buy anything that will help me get organized. I mean it. Any new gadget, tub, filing system, wall hangers, cubbies.

I think if I finally find the right thing it will somehow magically get me organized. Is there an organizing fairy? She probably is just like the laundry fairy, and will never come to visit me.

January is very bad for me because of all of the sales on organizing stuff. I need to realize it is just that, STUFF!!! and I don’t need it.

Nicole

Mt Dew, I know its bad but I have to have it and of course my cigs

Well I’m with Lynn on this one, coffee is what I drink 24/7, and I also like it with Bailey’s once in awhile. Mostly in the evenings or weekends. Also I love to crochet, so I’m always looking for yarn on sell or fabric on clearance.

Sometimes I like to sew a few things. I try really hard not to spend the money, but sometimes I gotta have it, it’s on sale. And the then there are times when I can talk myself out of it.

I start to feel guilty about buying anything that I don’t really need.

Diet coke – I usually drink a case a week -trying to cut back by only drinking 2 a day -subituting with tea -much cheaper. Bobbi -NE

Well, I’m glad to know I’m not the only one addicted to soda! 🙂

My hubby and I can absolutely NOT do without our Sweet Tea!
      Another weakness of mine is the Pizza flavored Combos-I eat an average of 2 bags a week if I can afford them.

@saunders97 97986 wrote:

My hubby and I can absolutely NOT do without our Sweet Tea!
      Another weakness of mine is the Pizza flavored Combos-I eat an average of 2 bags a week if I can afford them.

Oooh! Combos! I haven’t had those in a while!

Hubbie loves them too! Not to “feed your addiction” or anything, but you can get large boxes of them at sSams Club for pretty cheap. 😉

We have to drive about an hour to get to a Sam’s Club and I let my membership go awhile back because I never got to go that much, but thanks anyway.
      I’m afraid if I bought the big batch I would have them coming out of my ears!

I also have the Christmas ornament addiction! I buy some every year. I find a lot of cool, older ornaments in Goodwill and thrift stores.

We couldn’t even put all our ornaments up this year! I even had my living room chandilier decorated with beads and ornaments hanging from them!

my daughter loves those -she eats them all the time . I buy them and hide them for sporting events. She loves the pizza ones the best -Wal -mart has a pb kind in thier brand -she like these also.

bobbi -ne

Saunders97
      At least you’re feeding you Christmas ornament addiction in a frugal way, goodwill and thrift shops. way to go girl.
      to all you dr. pepper aholics i wish you luck and hope you win a bundle in their upcoming giveaways!!!

i have controlled one of my weeknesses by not going near the yankee candle store. i know i would buy something. i did have to go to bath and body works to get dil her birthday gift (not til march but they’re having a great sale now and that’s what i usually get her) i controlled myself though and only bought 2 items for myself at 75% off, spend $7.50 on me.

In the past (before trying to be more frugal) it would have been a lot more.

My guilty pleasure is rock concerts. I love music and I try to go to at least one concert a year. My cousin works at a venue so sometimes she can help me get in to those shows free so that helps!

I can’t do without Starbucks and it’s so expensive. I’ve really tried to cut back. I atleast go once a week but I try to limit myself.

Right now my rules are that I can only go when I have class at night. I justify it by telling myself I deserve it after working 7 hours then having to go through 4 hours of class at night too. And that’s 2 or 3 times a week.

I used to try only for exam nights but now that I work full-time too I can’t get through class otherwise. And we only have Starbucks & Dunking Donuts where I am (I am surprised at all the other types out there when I visited in MN)! And it gets expensive when you add it up.

Today though… I made myself some instant coffee instead. 🙂

And another of our biggest weaknesses, is bf & I like to go out to eat dinner on the weekends. And that can add up too. So we are trying to limit ourselves to only once a month – but that means alot more cooking by me and its hard to do that after such long days at work & school.

but i try!

it’s so easy to talk about our weaknesses. We should talk about our strengths too lol to balance out the negative. 🙂

I have a huge thing for someone. So if I ever see something they like I have to tell myself repeatedly not to get it especially since I’m in the hole with money right now.

I think I’ve already said this before, but one of my weaknesses is Christmas ornaments. Yesterday Hubbie & I went to the local Hallmark Store. They had all their Christmas stuff 75% off!

We got $80 worth of ornaments & Christmas cards (to use next year) for $20! I was so excited!!!

Another one of my weakness is recipe books. I love love love cookbooks!!! after hallmark, we went to the bookstore at the mall & i checked out their sale section.

i got a book called “around the world in 450 Recipes” for $4.99! Again, I was so excited! I love a good deal!!!

Quote:
      i can’t do without starbucks and it’s so expensive.

starsinnight, have you checked out the make your own versions of starbucks different coffees? here is the link to that area on the site: Coffee and Cappuccino Drink Mixes

Might help you to indulge a little without spending the money 🙂

:tongue: Oh my I have so many. For one splurge it would be nail hardner. Go on laugh but up until 3 years ago I was the nail biter queen.

Now I have beautiful nails and nail polish usually clear is what I will buy loads of.

My other weakness is gum. I am a gum aholic and love my Stride. :tongue:

omg, so i just bought a house with my boyfriend and im soo broke right now but i just cant seem to stop buying makeup. i mean i always try to find the best deals and none of my stuff is like mac or anything…but how i dream one day i can afford to buy mac makeup…::snap out of it tosha!:: sorry got caught up in makeup daydreaming..lol but yea thats deff. my splurging.

just a note just a note edit by moderator: please note, the link that was provided (and removed) is considered an advertisement. please be aware that all advertisements must be pre-approved and prepaid prior to posting in the forums.

advertising rates are available here:

https://www.budget101.com/advertisingrates.htm

should you have questions regarding the site’s rules, or how to post, please view the Newbie Welcome Forum.

love smiley Oh my Beautiful Daughter!!! love smiley
      She’s so right, she just loves her makeup! LOL We just had this very discussion the other night on the phone.

This is also one of my splurges as well…so like mother, like daughter:081: All in all though, she’s one amazing kid!

I get a massage every eight weeks. It’s heaven! I tell myself it keeps me healthy and will save on doctor bills down the road.

I would say that’s 25% true. Mostly it’s just heaven. Also Margarita’s at the local mexican place.

I can’t help it they are awesome and the cute waiter that serves them to me isn’t bad either.

Participant

my splurging has been changing lately.. i used to splurge on perfume samples, a couple dollars here or there.. but lately it’s been chapstick.

no clue why. LOL

Nestle bottled water ( $3.68) at Wal-mart and 1 gingerale a day, always in the morning.
      I don’t drink any coffee or caffeine because I get migraines.
      I also buy my three teenagers Michelina’s entree’s ( $1 each )
      I buy them twice a month, maybe 5 or 6 of them.
      My tap water tastes like chlorine. I have tried to drink it.
      I need to check into a water purifier maybe.
      I hate to use the plastic bottles……but at least I do recycle.
      Monika

I’ve indulged this week and splurged on one my weeknesses. I just LOVE candles. The new soy candle by Glade “earthly awakening” smells sooooo good.

I found it at Target for 5.79 and had some $4 coupons. Then I was suprised at the register to find out that for every 2 you buy you get a $5 target gift card. So I went back and got some more.
      Not a bad deal if you have the coupons they’re almost free.

My house may not be clean right now because I’ve been on the go constantly for the past 3 weeks, but it will sure smell good. Hope I don’t set it on fire with all my new great candles burning.

Mine is cofffee and chocolate 🙂

Jamie,
      at my house coffee and chocolate are not considered splurges, they are just one of the NECESSITIES of life. lol

Lately it seems to be Emory Floss (for cross stich projects ) & Craft Paint. Both are very cheap, I am afraid of Mothers Day weekend, our local craft store is having a huge sale on sewing novelties (you just never know what you might need ).

Really I trie to stay out of the stores. Sales, end caps, they get me every time. LOL

LOL Niddi…I agree!

Books…its defintely books with me.

Viewing 51 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Free Stuff ~Coupons Galore ~ Hot Deals Chatter What’s your splurge and/or weakness?