Budget101 Discussion List Archives Pantry Chat What top 5 things are a *Must Have* in your pantry?

This topic contains 135 replies, has 132 voices, and was last updated by couponkingpeter August 26, 2014 at 6:03 pm.

• Author

FreebieQueen

We’re issuing a new challenge! What 5 items are a “Must Have” in your Pantry and Why?

This challenge is good for $25 Gift Certificate to Amazon for adding a few items to your pantry, perhaps you need some real vanilla beans, some beeswax pastiles for homemade salves, a hard to find spice, etc.

So.. what’s in Your Pantry that you just can’t do without?

[b101][/b101]

Hmm.. this one is kind of tough for me

1. Bacon Bits (cured, obviously)
    2. Vanilla Beans

Honey
    4. 5 Different types of flour

those have to be the items that we use the most of, honey is our main sweetener, bacon bits we use on everything, the different types of flour for baking and making homemade everything- pasta, breads, muffins, etc.

This is an interesting idea, it will be neat to see what other people keep in their pantrys!

This is a tougher one to answer.
    1) flour
    2) sugar
    3) dried beans
    4) rice
    5) oatmeal
    These are the basics that have to be there and never run out.

1.Extra Virgin Olive Oil-used for everything, cooking, homemade cleaning and personal care
    2.White Vinegar-see EVOO
    3. Baking Soda-see EVOO
    4. Sea Salt-see EVOO
    5.Honey-see EVOO

1. Dry pasta
    2. Olive oil

Flour
    4. Ramen noodles
    5. Popcorn

The top five things in my food pantry are:

1 Homemade mixes; (cornbread, biscuit, cake mix, muffin mix, general baking mix, gravy mixes, breading mix, wholegrain hot cereal mix with dried fruits & nuts)
    2 Canned and dried vegetables and fruits
    3 Dry Foods (Whole grains, beans, nuts, salt)
    4 Oils / fats (olive oil, canola oil, sesame oil, ghee)
    5 Canned meats/fish (chunk chicken, small canned ham, sardines, canned salmon, tuna, corned beef)

We have a flour mill, juicer, pressure canner / open bath canner, fruit/ vegetable dryer, and with Fresh fruits and vegetables out of the garden we can (and do) live for extended periods of time with minimal grocery bills, but a balanced diet. The extras would be coffee, ginger, sweeteners, cinnamon, cumin, turmeric, salt, pepper,& Chinese 5 spice and stock up items for mix ingredients.

The top five things in my pantry right now are
    1. Flour, lots of baking here
    2. Sugar, white and brown, again, lots of baking

pasta, it’s cheap and my kids and hubby love this meal additive
    4. Crisco, again baking
    5. cereal, It’s a cheap breakfast my fam loves, always on sale, and quick to serve up in the mornings.

Gives momma much needed alone/meditation time 😉

@jrodgers 324633 wrote:

The top five things in my food pantry are:

1 Homemade mixes; (cornbread, biscuit, cake mix, muffin mix, general baking mix, gravy mixes, breading mix, wholegrain hot cereal mix with dried fruits & nuts)
    2 Canned and dried vegetables and fruits
    3 Dry Foods (Whole grains, beans, nuts, salt)
    4 Oils / fats (olive oil, canola oil, sesame oil, ghee)
    5 Canned meats/fish (chunk chicken, small canned ham, sardines, canned salmon, tuna, corned beef)

We have a flour mill, juicer, pressure canner / open bath canner, fruit/ vegetable dryer, and with Fresh fruits and vegetables out of the garden we can (and do) live for extended periods of time with minimal grocery bills, but a balanced diet. The extras would be coffee, ginger, sweeteners, cinnamon, cumin, turmeric, salt, pepper,& Chinese 5 spice and stock up items for mix ingredients.

jrodgers – i love the way you classified everything! lol gonna have to borrow it.

😉

1. Mixes-myo and/or comercial
    2. Canned meats/proteins

Canned veggies and fruits-home canned and/or commercial
    4. Dry goods/staples
    5. Fats and oils

I have canned meats that I canned.
    wheat berries
    canned veggies
    dry milk
    Moringa dried leaves

1) All different types of flours
    2) olive oil
    3) coconut oil
    4) dried beans
    5) mixes-myo

1. Trinity (onions, celery, bell pepper) I know some are just not pantry but just about every cajun meal starts with Trinity and we always stay stocked
    2. Salt..

number one must have seasoning
    3. Rice.. we serve this with almost every meal (gumbo, stew, jambalaya, rice dressing and rice& gravy)

Flour
    5. Sugar … 4&5 I never used to stock till this site.

5 lbs of flour used to last me forever.. now I see myself purchasing often.

Five pantry items that help me stay on budget are:
    1. Flour (making my own bread and pasta saves lots of money and let’s me control the ingredients.

2. Coffee ( not only gets me going in the morning, but also keeps me out of coffee shops)

3. Canned tuna (always available as an emergency meal as tuna salad, sandwiches, melts, or a casserole

4. Yeast (making breads, bagels, English muffins, rolls, pizza crusts, etc. really saves $$$ Just purchased 2 lbs.

for $4.65 That’s a saving bread!)

5. Pasta (homemade noodles, fettucine, and spaghetti and purchased macaroni and penne. Such good comfort food)

1. Flour
    2. Sugar

Rice
    4. seasonings–salt, pepper, spices etc.
    5. Crisco (not just any shortening, it must be Crisco and yes it does make a difference)

canned veggies
    canned tuna
    dried beans
    pastas
    oatmeal

1: Stevia
    2: Tart Cherry Juice
    3: Coconut sugar
    4: Almond Flour
    5: dried eggs

My pantry staples are

1. Flour
    2. sugar

seasoning
    4. coffee
    5. evaporated milk

1. Stone Ground Wheat Flour – I like bread and noodles.
    2. Brown Rice – Used in thousands of ways.

Current favorite is stuffed grape leaves since I’m thinning the leaves so the grapes get more sun.
    3. Extra Virgin Olive Oil – Used in anything needing oil that is not sweet.
    4. Canned Home Made Apple Sauce – Used in anything calling for oil that is sweet

Dried Stevia Leaves – I replaced sugar with it and grow my own.

Ahhh my poor empty pantry..

1. Baking Soda….I use it pretty much for everything, bathing, cleaning, toothpaste, wow, too numerous things to count.

2.. Rosemary… goes hand in hand with the baking soda, for excellent and very necessary deoderdent.

(dangit I can’t spell it)

3. Coffee, I really need a good cup in the morning. (Or at least think I do).

4. Tea…different herbal blends, I love the smell and relaxation that I find in a cup of tea.

5. Sea Salt. I find many great uses for it too…

1. Flour
    2. Sugar

Spaghetti Sauce
    4. Spaghetti Noodles
    5. Green Beans

Tomato sauce/paste, dry beans, rice, vegetable oil and canned food… (fruits, veggies, and meats)

My 5 must haves are:

1. California Ranch Olive Oil
    2. Whole Foods Coconut Oil

Pure Tahitian Vanilla Extract
    4. S&W Organic Tomato Sauce/Paste
    5. Coconut Dream Original Coconut Milk

:learncook:

My 5 must haves are:

1. California Ranch Olive Oil
    2. Whole Foods Coconut Oil

Pure Tahitian Vanilla Extract
    4. S&W Organic Tomato Sauce/Paste
    5. Coconut Dream Original Coconut Milk

My fav go-to’s to keep on hand:

black beans
    brown rice
    cous-cous
    bread crumbs or panko
    cartons of low sodium broth, chicken and beef-both!

We always cook a boatload of boneless chicken for lunches for the week, so so many quick and delish variations to whip each day for a different something-something!!
    :cloud9:

The top 5 things I need in my pantry:
    1. Rice- white, brown, yellow, or dirty rice is a go to starch here

2. Oyster sauce- This magical addition to any mix of veggies and meats makes a very welcoming anf full of flavor meal, quick and easy

3. Olive oil- whats not to love about this stuff. Its about as important as my stove LoL!

4. Flour- I pick up a 5 lb. Bag from Sams. My hubby said just recently that buying it in bulk has been the best decision we’ve made for our kitchen….most likely because now I bake a lot more than before.

I love that I never need to wonder if we still have flour, or worst yet plan a baking day just to find that I need four cups of flour but actually only HAVE one!

5. Finally salt and pepper- I know thats two things, but I associate one with the other, unless I’m baking of course. But either way these are a staple for me.

Seasoned chicken breast with salt and pepper broiled in the oven for 10 minutes on each side created a super delicious and moist chicken that can be eaten for dinner or cut up and added to salads. Yum.

I have several pantries/cupboards/cabinets/closets where food items are stored for monthly use (in or around my kitchen).

In the drinks cupboard: Water is the overall main item. But it also contains coffee, tea, fruit juices/drinks and powders, and vegetable juices.

In the Flavoring cupboard: Salt and Sugar (tie for the main), followed by Black Peppercorns, Herbs and Spices, (all in their own little spice grinder bottles) Honey, Maple Syrup , Herbs and Spice mixes (in shaker jars or foil packets). Cocoa powder, extracts, and baking chips.

The Dry Goods Closet: Whole Grains (for grinding into flours and for cereals), Beans, Soy Beans (for milk, tofu, etc.), all kinds of convenience mixes.

The Canned Goods Closet: Canned Broths, Soups, Vegetables, Fruits, Meats/Fish and Condiments.

The Snack Cabinet: Peanut Butter, other nut butters, Nuts, Popcorn, Crackers, Snack Cakes, Cookies and Candy

I also have a cupboard that holds Vinegars and Cooking/Salad Oils. Canola Oil is the main oil for cooking with Extra Virgin Olive Oil being the preferred salad oil. Apple Cider Vinegar is the main vinegar.

All of these cupboards/closets are refilled monthly from our basement storage (use the monthly menu plans to know what to bring up). It is like our own private store with stored fresh vegetables and fruits in bins as well as the pantry fillings. Non food items are also stored down there.

Thanks; Virginia

Top 5 things in our pantry.
    1. Canned tomatoes. Diced and many varieties.

Canned and dried beans.
    3. Rice.
    4. Pasta.

Textured vegetable protein.
    We have a bunch of spices and home made mixes to go with everything. We try and keep it as simple as possible.

Flour for anything baking. We also love home made pancakes and waffles.
    Herbs and spices – all kinds we have two shelves in our cupboard dedicated to them.
    Honey and sugar for the sweet teeth.
    Tea, good to drink and cold tea bags make a great topical pain reliever for little scrapes, cuts and burns, also good for relieving itching from mosquito bites.
    Home canned goods, soups, marinara sauces, applesauce, jams, pickles …etc.

What I must have in my pantry are:

Flour
    Oatmeal
    Cinnamon
    Baking powder
    Olive Oil

My five things, and a few of wish I had’s

1. Oatmeal, cream of wheat and rice
    2. Oils, several different kinds

Fresh and canned AND freeze dried fruit and veggies
    4. A full array of spices because you never know what you will need
    5. Alcohol for medicinal purposes because you never know what lies ahead and you might need it to disinfect with
    These are the wants,
    a.

a hand grain grinder.
    b. a most wanted wood stove for cooking…I am trying to prepare for the worst but hoping for the best.

coconut oil; herbal tea; essential oils; cocoa powder; vinegar

Coconut oil replaces my butter, deodorant, cooking oil.
    Herbal teas wake up my elimination process early in morning.
    Essential oils are natural way to keep my body ready for stress of life; assist healing and detox too.
    Cocoa powder is always on hand for family requests for homemade chocolate cake.
    Vinegar is used instead of baking powder, cleaning; keeps body alkaline levels balanced.

1. Honey
    2. White vinegar

Bread Flour
    4. Whole wheat berries
    5. Shortening powder

The top 5 things in my pantry are

1) Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning–replaces salt, pepper and other seasonings
    2) Flour–pancakes, biscuits, cakes, coating…
    3) Oil–frying, baking, cooking
    4) Sugar–husband can’t live without it
    5) Honey–my sweetener, cooking, pancakes, first aid

:coffeebath:

5 Must Haves in my Pantry are:
    1. Flour
    2. Creamer

Olive Oil
    4. Tea
    5. Coffee

rice, flour, beans, herbs, vinegar

Here are five of my favorite pantry items:
    Coconut Oil
    Olive Oil
    Vinegar (ac and white)
    Real Vanilla Beans
    Honey

The 5 items that are a must in our house are:
    1- Bisquick
    2- Popcorn kernels
    3- pasta (various shapes)
    4- splenda
    5- rice

Here are the top thing I have to have

1. Homemade Mixes (We have mixes for EVERYTHING! Cakes, Cookies, Side Dishes,

HomeCanned Fruits/Veggies/Pickles/Jams
    3. Jars of homemade Dehydrated Fruits/Veggies
    4. Spices/seasonings- about 100 bottles of various kinds

Honey or Coconut Oil

both, Honey and coconut oil equally, lol. Sorry that’s 6 I never claimed to be able to count

My top 5’s are:

1. Coffee
    2. Honey- my friend raises bees and I have several jars at all times!

Home Canned Stuff- fruits, veggies, meats
    4. Jarred Mixes that I made myself
    5. Coffee

ok, with a schedule like mine coffee should probably come in an IV kit while I sleep, hehehe

I’m thoroughly enjoying all of these responses. My pantry is much smaller than some of the others I fear, but here are my top 5

1. Herbal teas- about 60 different types
    2. Honey- several different kinds (some with lavender, orange blossom, etc)

Coconut Oil
    4. Dehydrated Veggies/fruits in Jars
    5. Dry goods/staples (thank you Jrodgers I would never have thought of a decent way to articulate that very long list!)

I love kitchen gadgets too!

Coffee – so that my kids are still alive by noon.
    Cinnamon – goes with everything!
    Splenda – because I am on a diet and sugar has too many calories
    Lawrys seasoning salt – goes on ANY meat product
    Frenchs – French fried toppings for salads and toppers for most anything

Skippy Natural Peanut Butter
    Almonds
    Green Beans
    Pork Rinds
    Low Carb must haves! 🙂

My top 5 things I Always have stocked is:
    1. Coconut Oil, I use it for EVERYTHING, It is the only oil I cook with(apply heat to) I use it to make my homemade Deodorant, I use it as my face moisterizer, I use it to apply Essential oils when needed, I use it on my husband dry legs, and for the best popcorn ever!
    2. Rolled Oats- Because we eat soaked oatmeal basically every morning,It is so good for you and so cheap!

I get it through a coop at 25 lbs at a time! I also grind the oats to make oat flour, I don’t use wheat very much anymore.
    3. Dates- my kids eat those like raisins, I also use them to sweeten most of my desserts and frostings (so yummy) They are very versatile!

Stevia- This is our main sweetener we use, it is healthy and it doesnt affect your blood sugars, which is very important to me as diabetics are on both sides of the family.
    5. Lemon Juice- I use a 32 oz. bottle every week!

I use it for soaking grains and soaking nuts to release the phytic acids which are very bad for you, and my husband has lemonade every morning and evening which is just lemon juice water and stevia (so good to get your ph balanced), i also use it when i make my bone stock every week as it helps to get more collagen out! i use it for cleaning along with apple cider vinegar or baking soda, i have also used it to make my own liquid dish detergent which i love!

it is soo hard to just choose 5!

dry goods-flours and sugar,oils,spices, canned milk, pasta

The five things that I must have in my pantry are: But I can’t live without: coffee, canned tomatoes, beans, chili powder and peanut butter

Canned veges, fruits, beans, tomatoes, sauces and diced
    Canned meats and proteins, chicken, ham, tuna, salmon, peanut butter, etc
    Pastas & Rice, whole wheat, white and brown
    And last, but Not least…….coffee!
    why?? if we are trapped in our home with no way out, i will make a soup, no electric?open cans or i build a fire or eat peanut butter.. the coffee…..
    well, coffee is to keep injuries to a minimum….for being trapped with no escape!

a little humor there….don’t tell!

Flour, Sugar, veg. oil, tomato paste and dried beans

WoW — this is really hard….. I don’t keep much in my pantry that I can’t live without…..
    So, okay ~
    Olive oil – use it for everything
    Sea Salt – besides garlic, the only seasoning I can’t live without
    Stevia – don’t do the sugar
    and that brings us to my husbands stuff…..
    Peanut butter & spam. Need I say more?

Everything else is in my refrigerator & freezer because I don’t do processed in any way. Eat healthy! Eat live!

Organic unprocessed coconut oil because it boosts metabolism and helps many body systems. Pecans because they’re an essential fat that lowers the bad kind of cholesterol. Rice flour, marinara sauce and “Everything” crackers.

There are 5 items that I absolutely can’t live without. And one that is a necessity to a hormonal woman. The first of the five is flour (all purpose), The second is Baking Soda and third is baking powder.

A large bottle of vinegar (white) and last that must have ingrediant…brown sugar. The first 4 are my go to staples for baking and cleaning. I learned a long time ago that if living on fs was not going to by my cleaning supplies.

Vinegar and Baking soda do the job quite well and for less money.

Oh and that one to keep the balance…CHOCOLATE! of course.

1. Peanut Butter
    2. Ice Cream ‘Cones’

Mac & Cheese
    4. Goldfish Crackers
    5. ‘White’ Almond Bark

The first four on the list are because I have Grandchildren, and I never know when they’re going to pop over. They will expect me to have those items, and I won’t be without them…just in case. 🙂
    Almond Bark is because I have many people that I need a little gift for in a hurry, and I can always go to making quick (and yummy) Almond Bark Candy and wrapping it up cute.

(the packaging is half the fun for me) Whether I have almond slivers, candy canes, Heath Crunch or mint morsels, I can always come up with a good combo, and I know the receiver will love it.

1. Emergency water
    2. Emergency food pack

Yeast
    4. Dry goods/staples
    5. Canned veggies/sauces

1. Sugar
    2. Pasta

Diced tomatoes
    4. Peanut Butter
    5. Beans

I can make so many things if I have these ingredients!

1. Rice
    2. Beans

Apple Cider Vinegar
    4. Honey
    5. Cinnamon

Must Haves in my Pantry:
    1. EVOO
    2. Nuts and seeds (in glass jars) – to put in salads and sides

Dried cranberries, dates, figs, etc, (in glass jars) – to put in salads and oatmeal
    4. Oatmeal
    5. Gluten-free flours

Flour
    Splenda
    Coffee
    Pasta
    Canned food

All of these things are staples for any meal. If I don’t have 1 of these things it’s hard to plan my daily meals.

Bread supplies- flour, salt, oil, yeast, and a big bowl!

The top 5 “must have’s” for my pantry would have to be:
    1. Emerl’s “Rib Rub” (I use it to season everything. Even to make my own seasoned flour!)

Plain, all purpose flour (I’m really into bread baking, and keeping my own sourdough starter for made from scratch pancakes, and other goodies!)
    3. Olive oil, extra virgin
    4. Minced garlic

Lipton Onion Soup Mix

my must haves are the 5 gallon bucket of rice, bread flour, regular flour and better than bullion soup base.

My favorite top items are honey, garlic, dried fruits, potatoes, seasoning mixes. We use a lot of different kinds of seasonings. If you’re really broke you can cook potatoes about 150 different ways with different seasonings and have a yummy meal.

1. Oils/ coconut/almond/EVOO/grapeseed
    2. Herbs/seasonings/spices

Home-Canned Goods from our garden & home canned meats
    4. Baking supplies, sugar, molasses, honey, etc
    5. homemade granola/ trail mix

My other half is a big snacker so I Always keep several jars of homemade granola and trail mix on hand for his snacking.

1. Oatmeal
    2. Cheerios

Dry beans
    4. Vinegar
    5. Olive Oil

suagr/flour; oil/vinegar; pasta; chicken/beef broth; & canned veggies

What 5 items are a “Must Have” in your Pantry and Why?

I like to keep my pantry loaded, I hate running out of food, it’s a childhood thing, lol.

two cents Dry Baking Goods, Flour, sugar, brown sugar, powdered sugar, homemade baking mixes, etc

two cents Canned goods- store bought, I don’t home can much

two cents Spices & seasonings- we do make All of our own spices mixes now

two cents Meal Baskets- I learned this here on the site, you have 5 baskets and put all of your meal ingredients in each basket with the recipe card so anyone in the house can start dinner

two cents Potatoes & Onion – big basket of both.

thanks for the challenges, btw, love them!

1.Sugar
    2.Flour
    3.Baking powder
    4.Baking soda
    5.canned fruits

B101 Challenge
    1. unbleached flour
    2. sugar

real vanilla
    4. sea salt
    5. brown sugar5

5 things in my pantry:
    1: Vinegar-use it for everything (even removing rust from my tools)
    2: Peanut Butter: High protein and you can even eat with a spoon no bread required
    3: Olive oil: cook everything with it
    4: Sugar (I have to stay sweet for my wife.)
    5: Local Honey – natural antibiotic and antihistamine for local plants
    Well there you have it, maybe kinda weird coming from a dad/guy but it is what it is. Good luck to all and God Bless!

1.Different type flour 2.corn meal 3.dry beans 4.all type cooking oils 5.all type sugars

The top five things in my food Pantry are: 1. Agave Nectar 2. Honey 3.

Cinnamon 4. Red Palm Oil 5. Vanilla Beans

1) flour
    2 )sugar
    3) salt
    4) pepper
    5) oil

All important basics

B101 1. Sugar
    2. Brown sugar
    3.vinegar

Worshestershire
    5.dried beans

I just have to have in my pantry
    1) Pam
    2) Panko
    3) Garlic Powder
    4) Olive Oil
    5) Quinoa

I have to try, to keep Blood Pressure down, so that is why the Garlic Powder. so salt also, have been changing the way i cook, because of hubby. just had his 2 arteries cleaned out, so needless to say no unhealthy oils/fats or white flour.

The Quinoa is a substitute for potatoes. Very very healthy for you.

My 5 Pantry Must Haves are:
    1. Breakfast Cereal – unsweetened flakes are very versatile, can be eaten for breakfast lunch or dinner, used as a breading/coating for chicken or chops when baking (crushed them up), can be used in making dessert/treat bars.
    2. Vinegar – so many uses, as an ingredient for homemade cleaners, recipes and salad dressings, homemade ant-acid

Coffee Filters – daily pot of coffee, use in lieu of paper towel or dusting cloths when cleaning glass for lint free results (also no streaks), use them for holding snacks instead of dirtying a bowl or getting crumbs all over.
    4. White Rice – cook to eat with a meal (as a side dish), casseroles, prevent salt from clumping during humid weather by adding a few grains to the salt shaker, even fed to my dogs when recovering from an upset stomach
    5. Canned Tuna in water – inexpensive versatile ingredient, whip up tuna salad for sandwiches, bake it in a noodle casserole to stretch your dollar on a family sized hot meal, couple of meals for your pet when you’ve run out of their food and can’t get to the store.
    I like to make sure that my “must have” pantry items are versatile, inexpensive and don’t take up all my precious pantry space.

rice
    beans
    sugar
    flour
    oatmeal

1) Olive Oil
    2) Dry pasta
    3) Vinegar
    4) Flour
    5) Sugar
    I am always reaching for one of these when cooking.

OH my let me see…
    1. Dry Beans
    2. Olive and Grape seed oil – MYO and cooking

Baking Soda (tons of it)
    4. Flour – Several different kinds
    5. Vinegar – many kinds – White Apple Cider with and without the mother, Red wine, White wine, and Garlic for MYO, cooking, and to bring down cholesterol and salads/marinade

Flour
    Sugar
    Pasta – all kinds
    Sauces – home canned and store bought
    spices – all kinds

@freebiequeen 324614 wrote:

We’re issuing a new challenge! What 5 items are a “Must Have” in your Pantry and Why?

This challenge is good for $25 Gift Certificate to Amazon for adding a few items to your pantry, perhaps you need some real vanilla beans, some beeswax pastiles for homemade salves, a hard to find spice, etc.

1. Honey
    2. Instant potatoes

Some kind of biscuit mix that does pancakes etc
    4. Canned milk (which makes fabulous gravy!)
    5. Graham crackers

flavor enhancer pouchesfor enhancing chicken dishes , cream of mushroom soup for sauces and gravies, chipolte spice squares for spicing it up, granulated garlic to help spice dishes, Odobe powder to enhance taste of foods

My top 5 are
    !. Tea bags
    2. Canned fruits and veggies

Cream soups
    4.Canned fish
    5. Oatmeal

1. Flour
    2. Sugar

Pasta
    4. Green Beans
    5. Lipton onion soup mix

The first 3 are pretty standard. The green beans because that is the only vegetable my husband and daughter bothlike. and the onion soup mix is a quick way to flavor meatballs/meatloaf/potroast and potatos.

Can’t cook with out these items
    1, Beef and Chicken stock
    2, Tomato – Sauce/Paste and whole tomato
    3, All different types of beans and rice
    4, Flour of different types
    5, Pasta

Onions, canned tomatoes, garlic, olive oil

@freebiequeen 324614 wrote:

1.flour
    2.molasses
    3.pinto beans
    4.oatmeal
    5.ramon noodles
    We always use 1 or 2 of these every day.

Flour is probably the biggest one – used for baking, homemade bread, to make our own thickened sauces, etc. Rice, black beans, pasta, and olive oil are probably the other top ones.

Coffee (can’t do much if I’m not awake)
    Oil (canola, olive)
    Peanut butter
    Salad dressing
    Rice

Coffee
    Olive oil
    beef jerky
    coconut flour
    almond flour

Brown rice, honey, dry pinto beans, steel-cut oatmeal, sea salt

Top 5 in my pantry are
    Flour
    Sugar
    White vinegar
    Rice
    popcorn

flour spices, cereal, syrup, chips

1. Coconut Oil – I never run out. Use it for cooking AND making my potions and lotions.

Beeswax (1lb square) – Definitely not just for making candles. Always have some in my pantry for my homemade lip glosses and such.
    3. Popcorn – A natural great snack.

We pop it in our air popper any time.
    4. MYO Bisquick Mix – Handy beyond belief. Great for making biscuits, pancakes, you name it.

Plus it saves $$.
    5. Olive Oil – Great on foods and in homemade concoctions.

Great seeing what everyone else keeps in theirs!

#1 – good coffee! (so i at least feel like i can conquer anything!)
    #2 – Animal crackers {to spoil the grandchildren :-)}
    #3 – An assortment of canned soups & vegetables
    #4 – An assortment of pasta/rice (add to #3 & you have a quick meal)
    #5 – Peanut butter (sometimes used as animal cracker dip!)

We make a lot of things homemade, so I would have to say…

Dry Milk
    Garlic powder (vampires will never come close to my home…lol)
    Vanilla extract
    Flour (different kinds)
    Honey (we love to drink hot tea and is great for sore throats by itself, too!!)

I know there are more items, too, but you restricted us to 5. lol

Well, since I don’t really have a “pantry” (who doesn’t have a pantry??? ME!!) I had to purchase a substitute…A double door 2 foot x 5 foot closet type thing. I really do not have much room to put things.

Soooo, the 5 things I must have and always keep is:

1. Coffee
    2. Rice

Muffin Mixes
    4. Cereal
    5. Canned Veggies

Being from the south, rice is a staple.

Sugar
    Flour
    Brown sugar
    vanilla
    chocolate chips

My top 5 pantry items:
    1) Peanut Butter
    2) Variety of cereal
    3) Tomato Sauce (and other sauces)
    4) Dried Beans/Peas
    5) Olive Oil

1. vinegar/oils
    2. dried/canned fruits and veggies (the healthy stuff)

dried/canned meats and fish (the proteins) chicken, tuna, sardines, salmon, ham, turkey, beef
    4. dried foods (the staples) beans, grains, salt, sugar, herbs, flour
    5. homemade mixes(the stretchers) pasta combos, potato combos, gravies, sauces, dips

With these things, you can sustain during emergencies, supplement your meals, serve healthy options, feed the hungry masses.

I think these are what I would always need and use daily. It is kind of fun to think about what I would need if I did not get to the market, or I was running low on items.

1. Olive oil
    2. Flour

eggs
    4. garlic
    5. onion powder

Worchestershire
    Honey
    oatmeal/floor
    olive oil
    vinegar (apple cider and white, though i have quite a varied selection)

I always want to have canned tomatoes, Badia Adobo Seasoning, saltine crackers, onions, and cream of mushroom soup.

Flour, sugar, rice, peanut butter, corn starch.

Must haves for the pantry. That’s easy.

1. Dry Pasta – quick meals on the go
    2. Peanut Butter – handy and versatile

Canned tomatoes – staple for sauces
    4. Ranch Seasoning – big container from SAMs Club, adds flavor to anything
    5. Dry Milk – surprising how many recipes call for this

cream of chicken soup, rice, noodles, enchilada sauce, parmesan cheese.

Coffee- I NEED it.:)
    sugar-both white and brown, baking and in my coffee
    flour-baking necessity
    rice-I am not a huge fan of rice but the rest of the family thinks it good at any meal.
    can milk- I have a milk allergy so this is a Have to have in the house. Because it is cooked I can use it.

Liss
    Keymaster

Congratulations to CoolCat, our randomly selected winner of this challenge!

thank you all for taking the challenge & good luck on the next one!

curious as to how winners are drawn?Explanation here.

Rondas
    Participant

1. Flour
    2. Sugar

Corn Meal
    4. Spices
    5. Olive oil

I am retired and live alone so the five things that are must have are:
    1.cat food for two senior cat gals
    2.soup when I am too lazy
    3.ramen noodles because I can make a really quick healthy meal with lots of veggies
    4. garlic seasoning
    for spicing up stuff
    5. pepper for also spicing my life up

I would need a wire whip,rubber spatula, hand mixer, wooden spoons, and knifes. With these I could make most everything.

I would need:
    Flour
    Sugar
    Salt
    Soda
    Vanilla
    These are the basics in most recipes

Flour
    Honey
    Pasta
    Vanilla
    Sugar

1. Flour
    2. Sugar

Vanilla
    4. Shortening
    5. Brown sugar

1. Flour
    2. Sugar

Oil/ Shortening
    4. Baking Powder / Baking Soda
    5.Yeast

Five things that are necessities for anyone’s pantry are:
    1. flour
    2. sugar

salt
    4. oil
    5. leavening agent ..

yeast or baking powder

Flour – all purpose, self rising, cake
    Sugar – granulated, powdered, brown
    Veggies and fruits – canned, dried
    Oils – Crisco, vegetable, olive
    Pastas – all kinds, big staple in our house

honey
    chocolate in various forms
    oatmeal
    nuts
    coconut products
    chia seeds
    vanilla extract
    cinnamon, ginger, turmeric

it’s difficult to narrow my list! far easier to grow it!

Five Things I’d want in my pantry…
    1. Dried Onions
    2. Ckn broth or bouillion

Dried beans, rice and quinioa
    4. Honey perferrably, or sugar
    5. Vinager or Salt

1. Honey
    2. Coffee

Almonds
    4. Apple cider vinegar
    5. Almond flour (gluten free household so this is essential

The top 5 “Must Haves” in my pantry are ~
    Canned meats & fish – especially tuna, kippers, corned beef & vienna sausage
    Dried pasta & beans
    Extra virgin olive oil & balsamic vinegar
    Coffee
    Most of our produce comes from our garden – frozen, canned or dried.

1) Pasta
    2) flour
    3) sugar
    4) oats
    5) powdered milk

The top 5 must have items in my pantry are…
    Flour
    Sugar
    Oil
    Rice
    Pasta

Hmmm…this has cot me thinking what I *really* wouldn’t want to be without!

1. Flour/cornmeal
    2. Seasonings

Dried and/or canned beans
    4. Home-canned veg – esp. tomatoes

Probably pasta or rice

Salt, Olive oil, Garlic, Honey & Pepper would be my best guess. Honestly, I would like to know what the 5 “must haves” are.

Honey, coconut oil, various dried fruits (apricot, prunes, raisins) oatmeal, black peppercorn (in grinder)

garlic powder, honey, oatmeal, vegetable oil, sea salt and black peppercorns

Salt, pepper, oil, storage bags, something to draw out the moisture?

Campbell’s Tomato, Mushroom and Cheddar Cheese Soup, Tuna Fish, Black Olives and ground beef

salt,pepper,oil,oatmeal and peanut butter

garlic, flour, sugar, breadcrumbs, pasta

Flour, Olive Oil, Honey, Salt and Pepper

Rice, dry beans, pasta, spices and coconut oil.

Pickles, Hot sauce, green beans, diced tomatoes and corn

Flour, Oil, Cornmeal, Sugar, and spices

Vanilla bean, stevia, almond flour, coconut oil, Cinnamon

Honey, olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper

Flour, Sugar, Peanutbutter,chicken stock,tomatoe sauce.

Flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, oil or shortening

There’s just no way I could come up with just 5 individual items. But if I look at categories, I fare a little better:

1. A variety of flours and grains. These can make a variety of things from breads and cakes to cereal to casseroles.
    2.Sugar (again a variety of types).

Used for cakes, cookies, frostings, beverages.
    3.leavening: yeast, baking soda, baking powder.
    4.potatoe
    s: side dishes, breakfast dishes, casseroles, main dishes (loaded baked potatoes).
    5.fruits-fresh, frozen, canned. Breakfast, dessert, snacks, salads. There’s practically nothing you can’t do with fruit!

I would also have to add butter (not really a pantry item, I guess), nut butters and oil.

This has been really interesting and enlightening.

I hope for even more responses!

Spices, oils, sweeteners, coffee, flour

I gotta have honey and extra virgin olive oil.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login Register

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Pantry Chat What top 5 things are a *Must Have* in your pantry?