- This topic is empty.
- July 7, 2019 at 11:09 pm #577015
If you’re new to keto or struggling you might be wondering what’s okay to eat and what isn’t. Here’s a brief list to get your started.
What do you eat on Keto?
Meats: ZERO CARBS 😍😍😍😍
• Beef- Ground beef, Steak, Ribs, and Roasts
• Game Meat- Moose, Venison, Emu, etc
• Pork- Chops, Ribs, BACON, Loins, sausage
• Chicken/ Turkey- Thighs w/ skin or wings are the best because breasts are high in protein. However, you CAN eat breasts, just have to eat more fat to compensate.
• Fish- Swordfish, Tuna, Salmon, Cod, Haddock, etc.
• Shrimp/ Lobster- Go crazy, use lots of butter!
Cheese: MOST are no carb, almost all are low carb
• Mozzarella & Cheddar- Buy in bulk, they freeze well and are insanely versatile!
• Colby jack, pepper jack, Monterey jack
• Taco style, Mexican style
• Parmesan, Asiago
• Cottage cheese- easy lunch idea- add a few berries, usually around 4-8g of Carbs per serving
• Cream Cheese
Vegetables: No potatoes! Get your carbs from veggies!!!
• Leafy greens- Spinach, Spring Mix, Kale, Romaine
• Zucchini- Great for a noodle substitute!
• Avocado- Awesome source of natural fat!
• Brussels sprouts
• Spaghetti Squash- works well as a spaghetti substitute, and is even great for making hash browns!!
• Peppers- Jalepeño, banana, green/ red/ yellow/ orange bell
• Broccoli- Great with cheese, steamed, or just raw!
• Asparagus- Awesome roasted or sautéed with bacon and garlic!
• Cauliflower- AWESOME potato substitute!!
• Celery- Great with cream cheese or all-natural peanut butter!
• Pickles (Read nutrition labels, watch for sugar and carbs)
• Green beans- Awesome sautéed in bacon grease with garlic, (watch portion size).
• Onions- Red, yellow: use somewhat sparingly, to taste
Fruits: Most are a no-no, especially bananas, oranges, and grapes. some that are okay in moderation include:
• Lemon/ Limes- Adds great flavor!
Nuts (grams of Carbs per 100 grams, or 3.5 oz)
• Pecans/ Brazil (4g)
• Macadamia (5g)
• Hazelnut/ Walnut/ Peanut (7g)
• Pine (9g)
• Almond (10g)
• Pistachio (18g)
• Cashew (27g)
• Coconut Oil
• Butter- as long as it’s REAL butter and not a spread or margarine
• Olive Oil
• Bacon/ sausage grease
• MCT oil- easily ordered online/ in specialty stores
Dressings/ Condiments/ Fats
• Ranch, Blue cheese, Cesar, Thousand Island, Balsamic- Watch carbs/ sugar, but there are tons of brands, so you can find one you love, or better yet, make your own
• Mayo- Natural/ organic is best, but I use Hellmann’s all the time.
• Heinz “NO SUGAR ADDED” Ketchup or homemade sugar free ketchup
• G. Hughes brand sugar free BBQ sauce
• Yellow/ Spicy Brown Mustard
• Soy sauce
• Hot sauce
Use as base for sauces/ soups
• Heavy Whipping Cream (HWC)
• Broths/ Stocks: Stay away from reduced fat. Bone broth is awesome!
• Slim Jims/ jerky (watch carbs)
• Homemade cheese its/ tortilla chips
• Veggie Slices with various keto dips or cucumber boats
• Pork rinds (0 carbs, very versatile. Can be used as breading, nacho substitute or even sprinkled with cinnamon & stevia and eaten like cereal with Almond milk and tastes like cinnamon toast crunch!)
• WATER- Lots of it!
• Crystal Light- Tons of options and very convenient!
• Tea with stevia
• Coffee- Add a Tablespoon of coconut oil or MCT oil, Stevia, heavy whipping cream and imitation vanilla/ Hazelnut or Cocoa powder & peppermint *BOOM* Homemade creamer or here’s how to MYO Keto Coffee creamer in 25 Flavors!
• Beers (grams of carbs per 12 oz serving)
▪ Bud Select 55 (1.9)
▪ MGD 64 (2.4)
▪ Rolling Rock Green Light (2.4)
▪ Michelob Ultra (2.6)
▪ Bud Select (3.1)
▪ Beck’s Premier Light (3.2)
▪ Natural Light (3.2)
▪ Michelob Ultra Amber (3.7)
▪ Coors Light (5)
▪ Amsterdam Light (5)
▪ Bud Light (6.6)
• Vodka with mio is a favorite!
• Whiskey shot (0g carbs)
• Brandy shot (0g carbs)
• Dry Martini (0g carbs)
• Tequila shot (0g carbs)
• Champagne (~1g per serving)
• Dry wine (~2g per serving)
Sweeteners Get the full low-down on Keto Sweeteners– what to use & what to avoid
• Bochasweet (0g)
• Allulose (0g)
• Stevia drops (0g)
• Erythritol (0g)
• Monkfruit (0g)
Other common Ingredients I use
• Almond flour
• Spices: Pretty much ALL of them, but frequently: Garlic powder, onion powder, parsley, cumin, cayenne, salt, pepper, paprika, Basil, thyme, rosemary, red pepper flakes, Italian seasoning, various chili powders, curry powders, etc
• Cocoa Powder
• Natural Peanut butter (dirty)
• Sugar free chocolate chips (dirty)
• Sugar free maple syrup (dirty)
Succeeding on keto is actually pretty easy! Here’s how to succeed on keto, in a nutshell.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.