Budget101 Discussion List Archives Product Opinions & Questions What is your opionion Nielsen’s Homescan

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • Author

What is your opionion on Nielsen’s Homescan ?

Nielsen’s Homescan Consumer Panel is a “mini-U.S.A.,” representing millions of Americans. Does anyone have this in home scanning system. Let me know what you think, how long you have had it in use and the type of awards they have to offer.

The Pros & Cons please.
      Thanks

I think my parents do the internet one. My dad says it just tracks what you do & they get a check for like $50 a few times a year. Sounds pretty simple.

Thanks for some input Rte. I thought there may two types to this company. Maybe I’ll learn a little more here the next few days.

i havent heard of one online? Any idea what company this is with? Also is the purpose of these homescan things to earn free things or what?

Nielsen’s is the Ratings company. They have tv scans, internet scans. Basically, they send a little box that is hooked up to your tv (for the tv ratings one).

It keeps an account of what you watch. Its how they decide what show are popular, etc. You know, like when you hear on tv that a certain show is “Number one in the Nielsen Rating.”)

I wouldn’t mind checking this out, anyone have a web address?

@rtebalt 100678 wrote:

Nielsen’s is the Ratings company. They have tv scans, internet scans. Basically, they send a little box that is hooked up to your tv (for the tv ratings one).

It keeps an account of what you watch. Its how they decide what show are popular, etc. You know, like when you hear on tv that a certain show is “Number one in the Nielsen Rating.”)

I dont know why, maybe I’m just paranoid but it seems to me this is just another way for big brother to make his way into your home. I’m sure it’s just for studies etc but Im a little skeptical on things of this nature.

@mdowdy 100681 wrote:

I dont know why, maybe I’m just paranoid but it seems to me this is just another way for big brother to make his way into your home. I’m sure it’s just for studies etc but Im a little skeptical on things of this nature.

Yeh, I’m usually skeptical too, but this company is very well knwn & has been around forever, so I wouldn’t be worried about them. My parents have been doing it for years.

Ok I do the Nielsen scan thing, just started. They sent us a scanner thing with a big book of instructions. We read through it and my 19yr old took the job upon himself.

You scan all the stuff that you buy online and locally. enter the codes and once a week submit your stuff from the hand held scanner via the phone. We’ve submitted twice and done two 2 minute surveys and have 1900 points so far.

I don’t remember anything about cash money but it is a way for us to get things we’d like but will never buy on our own–much to frugal now a days ! You should be able to find out about it at their site: https://www.homescan.com/homescan/us/en/login.htm

brchbell,

Thanks for the info on this one. I know also that they put you on a list and only hand out so many (certain areas and certain times of the year).

To become a member of the Homescan Consumer Panels, please complete our online registration. (If you have already signed up, please do not register again. Only one membership per household.) Once we receive your household information, you will be placed on a Reserve Status Waiting List. Homescan will then randomly select households to join the panel.

This ensures that the panel truly reflects the country’s diverse population. Thanks for your interest

I have been a member for a couple of months now. It is like brchbell said, you get a hand scanner and you record all of your purchases-online and in the real store. Once a week you connect the scanner to your computer and transmit the information of what you have purchased.

It helps them to report back to the stores what people buy and when and also keeps track of prices in different locations for comparisons. It can be a little time consuming because you stand in line at the store for them to ring everything up then you come home and do it all over again before you put the items away. It has taken a little while to work out a pattern/routine that works.

I was on the waiting list for five years before I finally got selected. As far as what you earn it is sort of like the old S & H stamp collecting (for those who remember that :)) you earn points then can turn them in for different items. The do enter you in for cash giveaways-but the odds of winning can be high since you are competeing with all the other people who scan as well.

Quote:
      as far as what you earn it is sort of like the old s & h stamp collecting(for those who remember that )

wow that does seem like ages ago. but yes i remember those.

Thanks for the website, I did look it over. But the only thing is, I don’t shop online. So this may not be the right thing for me.

Thanks

Quote:
      but the only thing is, i don’t shop online. so this may not be the right thing for me.

you record any purchase you make even freebies you get. it is not just for online purchases.

they want to know what does an average household purchase. if you purchase out of a machine, you scan that information as well.

I have been doing this for a couple years and so has my friend, we have gotten some really nice gifts too…the home scan is worth a try!! You have nothing to loose and they use the info you scan for reporting purposes ….

You can enter all kinds of stuff even those without bar codes! They give you codes for stuff which we use a lot that never had bar codes!. Most stores in our area are little places run out of homes or small business locations or even out of a truck or buggy at the side of the road!

Ran by Amish or a local family. I doubt that I am the typical American family most would think of. I live 90 miles from anything of size and can live without many things most would think a need!

My family went 3 weeks last winter without any electricity, phones or running water and we discovered we loved it! I think my Amish neighbors are starting to rub off on me! Also I signed up last November (2008) and was told there was a waiting list but 2 weeks later I got my box with scanner!

So it may not be that long of a wait!

I did it for about a year and sent the scanner back. It was too much of a pain in the rear for me. You have to scan a bar code for every single thing you buy – right down to your gas or a newspaper out of a machine.

The points didn’t seem to add up very quickly either. To me, it just wasn’t worth the hassle.

What kind of pc hardware/software do you need. how does it hook up to your pc ?, just checking my pc is a couple years old. also if you sign up is it for both the tv scan and purchase scan?

It is just for the purchases you make for the homescan. It just plugs into your computer with a usb connector. they will send you a cd to download the program or yu can download it right off of their site.

the scanner part just sits on your counter plugged in to keep it charged. it works just like the handheld scanners at the stores. you scan the upc codes and then your done.

once a week you connect it to your computer and transmit the information through your computer system.

So very helpful you have been Kim. Really do thank-you for all your input on this one.

Your very welcome JoAnn!

I have the Nielson HomeScan. I haven’t started using it yet. They send a catalog with all the “prizes” you can get with your “points” that you earn.

In my opinion you would have to participate for awhile/long time before you get a “prize”. You do get entered into their contests to win money, so that is an incentive for me.

You really don’t have to scan each and every thing you buy! How would they know? We only scan what we want to /have time to do.

You don’t get more points for how much you submit but just for submitting once a week. We do our best to submit everything but if we are to busy then things will be left off but we will transmit every week with what ever we have. I think if you are going to do it you should use a little common sense.

My son was about to lose it scanning everything from our once o month grocery trip and I told him to just stop. We’ve done much better since then and everyone is happy.

I did this in home for a bit. Whenever we went grocery shopping we would scan the barcodes into this little hand held machine and we had to scroll through the different grocery stores that we used. Of course they didn’t have Cub Foods listed and that is where we shop most of the time so it wasn’t all that good.

They probably have changed that by now. But, we didn’t use it for about a month and they canceled our account. We shipped it back and have never heard from them again.

So that is good. I just feel that if you don’t buy brand name items than it probably isn’t a great thing to do. We always bought off brand and it never went through the scanner.

I don’t scan at the store, I scan after we get home! We scan cold stuff as soon as we get home and then we scan a little more after dinner and then we save it and finish scan it all the next day. With us only shopping once a month we found this works well for us.

I think the scanner batteries would go dead if we took it and scanned as we shopped with it being an all day affair! Can’t scan everything we buy as I said before as we shop with the Amish a lot too and gee whiz they don’t use bar codes at all! My kids (teens) do most of the scanning.

they seem to think it’s fun. Come Fall we’ll start looking to see what we can get and decide if we want to continue or not.

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Product Opinions & Questions What is your opionion Nielsen’s Homescan