What are your creative ways of saving money??

Budget101 Discussion List Archives General Budget & Finance What are your creative ways of saving money??

Viewing 81 reply threads
  • Author
      faxonfive

I love to find creative ways to save money, especially with everyday items and chores. A few ways that I love to save are:

Add water to beverages to “stretch” them out. If you make orange juice from frozen concentrate, for example, add an extra half to full can of water during preparation. Serve juices and sodas with lots of ice.

Share bulk food items with others. I share with Melissa 🙂 Many people do not need a case of tuna fish or a ten-pound bag of carrots, but sharing a bulk purchase with one or two other people can give all of you just the right amount and save you money. Discuss this idea with close friends or relatives.

Review your snack consumption. Are you a popcorn fan? Pop your own and save big over ready-popped corn.

Do you buy single serving sizes of chips, and so on? Buy a big bag or make your own from regular potatoes or even sweet potatoes and package them in reusable plastic containers, perfect for lunch boxes, the car, and the office.

Brew your own coffee or espresso at home and bring it with you in the morning in a travel mug. Best yet, if you work in an office – FREE coffee!!! Wait til you get to work and drink all you want 🙂

Buy day-old bakery items. Fresh items are a day old the day after you buy them, right? You can save big on many day-old baked goods, and if you buy several you can freeze them.

Air dry your clothes. Clotheslines are making a comeback. Join the movement.

At the very least, you can air dry the clothes most of the way and then toss them into the dryer for 10 minutes to freshen and fluff them.

Air dry your clothes. Clotheslines are making a comeback. Join the movement.

At the very least, you can air dry the clothes most of the way and then toss them into the dryer for 10 minutes to freshen and fluff them.

I Reuse the large, tear-resistant envelopes used by the US post office and the other package carriers. These turn inside-out easily to reveal clean surfaces for addressing.

Any tips you can add or suggest to help?? All ideas would be treasured!!

:dance:

Tarrien

I’ll make a thing of juice and add some to an icecube tray, when I’m out of the juice I’ll use the flavored ice in cups of water.

jkpjohnson

I reuse my ziplock bags, wash them and air dry.

I also line dry my clothes and wash most of them by hand also.

I make a pot of regular coffee then add 1 or 2 scoops to the previous grounds to make the next pot.

Rather then drinking pop at work, I have 2 old pop bottles, make Iced Tea or Koolade and pour them into the bottles.

I have also started watering down juice, keep forgetting to do the milk.

During the weekend, when I smoke cigarettes, I only smoke 1/2 at a time, and but it to smoke later. 1/2 the time you let them burn in the ashtray anyway. Hopefully this will end soon, when I quit 100%.

faxonfive

The coffe grounds idea is great for when I am making coffee at home!! Thanks JKP!! I also make the ice cubes from Koolaid and they are a treat for later!!

Baggz1971

You have some great ideas here, I just don’t know if I could go to the extreme of air drying my clothes. Plus I don’t have any room to hang them. 🙂

jkpjohnson

@Baggz1971 107325 wrote:

You have some great ideas here, I just don’t know if I could go to the extreme of air drying my clothes. Plus I don’t have any room to hang them. 🙂

i hang mine on the shower curtain rod (winter months live in mn) once everyones done with their daily showers, normally dry by the next morning. if you have to take a shower, just push them to the back or front, they will be fine (*** i notice when you hang dry things, you do not have to do much ironing) and outside during the summer.

CathieC

In the winter, I keep the laundry room door open while the dryer is running. Adds heat to the upstairs, thermostat usually goes up 2 degrees within 20-30 minutes of the dryer running.

faxonfive

We are lucky enough to have two tree positioned in a good spot so that we stung a cloths line between them and the sun hits them just right in the winter and summer. In about an hour my cloths are dry!! I love the smell of fresh air dried cloths too!!!

CATHYKEE

Thanks for the post. I am curious how do you make your own potato chips? I would love to try them.

d_awalker

I make my husband’s (low cost) restaurant favorites for him at lunch as much as possible so he will not feel deprived when he comes home for lunch. I even make the sub bread fresh. Now, he knows that he cannot get a better lunch anywhere else especially since it is “free”.

This stops him from going out to lunch or from purchasing other restaurant items for the family during the week. This sounds like small savings but this has added up big time!

faxonfive

I make my potato chips by using 6 or more medium lg. , oil or fat for deep frying and salt.
      Wash and peel the potatoes. Slice very thin.

Put the slices at once into a bowl of cold water and let stand for at least one hour. Ice water is best, but you can set the whole bowl in the refrigerator if you wish. Dry well by shaking them in a towel.

Fry in hot oil at 390 degrees F. until a light golden brown. Don’t try frying too many at once, better to put one layer on the frying basket.

Drain on paper towels or coffee filters or any kind of plain crumpled absorbent paper.

Hope this works for you 🙂

d_awalker

Thanks for this potato chip recipe!

faxonfive

Your welcome….you can also use sweet potato’s!!!

d_awalker

I never thought about using sweet potatoes. The boys will love both!

faxonfive

They are a litte sweeter but just as delicious!!! I hope you enjoy them!!!

gidget

remember when we used turnips???

JoAnn

@jkpjohnson 107522 wrote:

I hang mine on the shower curtain rod (winter months live in mn) once everyones done with their daily showers, normally dry by the next morning. if you have to take a shower, just push them to the back or front, they will be fine (*** i notice when you hang dry things, you do not have to do much ironing) and outside during the summer.
      my dryer went to dryer heaven last week. and i’ve always had an extra curtain rod in the wash room, to hang towels on — it’s been getting a work out this week with the laundry — been hanging them to dry there.

and to my surprize i haven’t had to iron anything..

brchbell

We make our own potato chips too! Just slice those potoates real thin and fry them and slat afterwards!

kkiriazis

This is a weird little way to save money but my daughter loves grapes but only when they are crunchy. When I find them on sale (oh they are so expensive) I will buy a big bag but of course at some point they start getting a bit soft so I freeze them. They make great low calorie frozen treats and can be put in juice/water as “ice cubes” though in my house the frozen grapes never last long.

mdowdy

@kkiriazis 107867 wrote:

This is a weird little way to save money but my daughter loves grapes but only when they are crunchy. When I find them on sale (oh they are so expensive) I will buy a big bag but of course at some point they start getting a bit soft so I freeze them. They make great low calorie frozen treats and can be put in juice/water as “ice cubes” though in my house the frozen grapes never last long.

🙂

Doesnt sound weird at all to me. My grandmother introduced me to the world of frozen grapes years ago. I enjoy them from time to time especially in the summertime.

faxonfive

Frozen grapes are such a healthy treat too!!! yummy…I dehydrate mine to MYO Raisins 🙂

jep143

Hi, I am new to the site, but another way I save is reusing the large freezer zip loc bags, when I empty them, I turn them inside out and put them on the top shelf of the dishwasher to sanitize them. I hate to throw away a perfectly good bag. This can be done numerous times.

faxonfive

I reuse as well!! I especially reuse sandwich bags for lunch 🙂

redring

I started saveing seeds from my veggies bought from the store last year. Think about how much you throw away. There is at least 40 seeds in a green pepper.

Also at the end of the weekend I send any money left in our main account off to pay extra on bills that can be paid off. Keeps us from spending it and gets bills paid off faster. I started paying my house bill in two seperate payments on my own.

This messes up the interest they get. Saves you some cash.

faxonfive

Excellent ideas redring….I wonder about the potatoes….you know when they grow eyes….I wonder if you can use them 🙂 I put $20 form each paycheck into savings – thats $40 every two weeks that $1,120 that I will have by the end of the year…if I choose to use earlier then its for Christmas…if not then I will pay off a couple bills…its exciting saving like this 🙂

jep143

My husband plants a garden every year, and he always plants too much, I can’t can it all or prepare it all. I never thought about the seeds, but I noticed that he saved blue hubbard squash seeds, but they got moldy, do you freeze them? that is a very good idea.

Faxonfive, I do the same with an ING online account and earn better interest, but I am self employed and my income fluctuates, so that is all I can save right now, but it is better than 0.

JennyCup

I like to cut my facial cleansing cloths (dove) in half. They still fit into the plastic tub and you get 2 months worth of facial cloths for the price of 1. The half sheets produce enough bubbles and are still big enough to clean my face with.

I also make my own body scrub. I take some olive oil and sugar and mix together to make a thick paste. Slather it on and rub in circles.

It is a lot cheaper to make my own than spend several dollars on a small tub of it at the store. It also makes my skin very soft and smooth.

Niddi

And when you’re done with your face, they’re great for giving the mini blinds a wipe. lol

Love the idea of making your own body scrub. DD likes a certain kind from Bath and Body works and it’s normal price is $16 a jar. I’ll tell her about this recipe.

Have you tried adding fragrance to it? do you think that would work?

faxonfive

I have even used oil and salt….its a great feeling when your done 🙂

redring

Yes! You can plant those potatos. With the seeds you wash them in a mesh strainer and set them out to dry.

I then make seed packets and mark contents and date.

faxonfive

That is great!! ok, so please tell me how exactly to do that…is there are particular portion that you cut….i have heard of planing the potatos but my crawl space is bad….i grew up on a farm and i shoul dknow,,,,but this is one of the important things i just never paid attention too….arron always says that potatoes are just as cheap a tthe store…but i dont think so.

thank red!!!

lynn

brchbell

@jep143 108180 wrote:

I never thought about the seeds, but I noticed that he saved blue hubbard squash seeds, but they got moldy, do you freeze them?

You must throughly dry the seeds you save! Do not store or freeze them until they are very dry or they won’t be any good!

If you are going to cut off the potato eyes to plant make sure you cut deep enough to get some of the potato also! It’s food for the growing plant to start with and make sure you dry the eyes good too before planting! Otherwise they will probably mold and rot instead of growing!

d_awalker

Thanks for the information on saving seeds and potato eyes!

redring

Cut the eyes out of a potato and let it dry 2 to 4 hours before planting it in the
      OR Take cuttings leaving the eyes in. Each eye should have a piece of potato the size of a small egg attached to it which will increase the size of your potatoes. Let it dry 2 to 4 hours before planting it in the .
      OR Pre-sprout a potato in a bright but not directly sunny spot for a few weeks.

In the 1st week of June cut off a chunk of potato the size of a small egg with a sprout or eye on it. Place cuttings on the12″ apart (30 cm) and let them dry for an hour or 2. Then cover them with 6 to 12 inches (15 to 30 cm) of straw or hay.
      After you sprout your spuds plant them 3 inches deep (8 cm) and 6 to 12 inches apart (15 to 30 cm).

Add a thin layer of mulch and keep them watered. When the shoots and leaves eventually poke through the mulch add another 6″ (15 cm) of mulch around the plants without covering the leaves. You can peek underneath the mulch to watch the tubers develope and make sure they aren’t turning green which is a signal to add more mulch.

When plants reach 9 inches high (15 cm) hill the potatoes with another 3 to 6″ (8 to 16 cm) of , hay or straw. Mulching will keep the potatoes from turning green. Green spuds produce an alkaloid poison.

Watch for potato bugs while they are growing and treat them if necessary. In September, carefully dig up your potatoes or pull the mulch back to expose the tubers. Brush off any loose dirt, let them dry off and store them in a , dry place.

from
      https://www.copper-tree.ca/garden/potato.html

faxonfive

Thanks for the potatoe tips!!! What time of year do you plant them??

JoAnn

Planting is done as soon the soil can be worked in the spring.

faxonfive

I have been freezing my kool-aid and eating it as a treat!!! Yummy…

Baggz1971

We have started to share our meal when we go out to dinner. If we know the places serve a large amount of food in the first place and they don’t charge for sharing then we do this. It works out great.

This doesn’t include beverages.

HSLINKS

seeds & plants:
      remember the seeds from fruits & veggies from the store are probably hybrid and you will not get the same plant ..

some people have had luck with using store bought ‘fresh’ herbs and rooting in water ..

a friends gave me some of her blue potatoes last year – these are micro in size .. so i left in bowl and they are sprouting – time to stick in pot and hopefully this spring (maine) i can plant .. over 30 years ago I had a bag of potatoes really go nuts with the eyes and stuff so I tossed them in a pile by the woods where we lived – late that summer I was walking with the dogs and sure enough tons of potatoes growing ..

little ones so buttery tasting yumm

Years before we did potatoes and it took 7 years to get rid of potato bugs grrrr

HSLINKS

dryer vs line drying:
      using the dryer is harder on clothes. it can cause pilling and certainly more wear and tear as it rolls around inside the metal drum.

electric costs are higher when used for either heat or cooling – the dryer certainly will qualify. using the line will save money, even if only used for some items.

are hanging clothes in the house pretty? no its not the approved decorators choice – but it saves you money, doesn’t stay up all the time – so say “so what! i have money money in my pocket” as you hang

try hanging only part of your wash use plastic hangars for all your shirts. hang on shower rods or clam shell moulding on doorways. our dump always has some shower tension rods i put these up in halls and stairwells – works great ..

also handy if you are having a party for extra room for coats (using the upstairs or basement stairs not halls).

underwear & socks are another quicky item for drying on line or hangar systems. i found these octopus looking hangars (8 arms with clips) great for socks, baby stuff, and even underwear (I hang guys sideways). One major advantage of hanging socks like this is you match them as you hang them and very easy to pack away when dry. Unmatched hang singly and leave hanging for the next load – with luck you’ll find the match and be able to put them all away when those dry.

You also tend to notice the holes in toes quicker – these make great rags for under the sink

I hang pants on the clip hangars so they dry straight, but not everyone has them (ask next time you are in the store some give hangars away). I also use the clip hangars for towels hanging them down but folded in half.

Use the dryer for the big items if you don’t have a line or if its winter and you’d have to dig it out.

I don’t have a dryer and don’t want one.. Had 3 kids in cloth diapers, still have a king size bed. Today I rarely hang outside, and have taken down the big clothes line (5 kids back then).

But occasionally will use the racks outside in summer – the clothes smells great and the sheets are nice too.

Ria in Maine
      who used to have a huge clothes line ..

brchbell

I love line drying our laundry starting in spring time. Ok, I live in Missouri and bugs are crawling all over the clothes. So I line dry them and then bring them in and toss into the dryer for 10 minutes and it kills/removes all the bugs.

JennyCup

Niddi,

I have not tried adding fragrance. Although I do mix things up by using a little brown sugar, adding in a handful of lavender flowers/rosemary/mint/rose petals/etc., adding in oats, I even add in fruit that has been pureed like pumpkin. Whatever mood I am in I just go for it.

mdowdy

@Baggz1971 111082 wrote:

We have started to share our meal when we go out to dinner. If we know the places serve a large amount of food in the first place and they don’t charge for sharing then we do this. It works out great.

This doesn’t include beverages.

we do this also. for restaurants who do mind if you do this call it in and take it out. they can’t control what you do with it once you get it home lol and you save the cost of drinks

faxonfive

Excellent ideas ladies!!!! Thanks!!

mmclean11

Since it’s just me and DH (not sure if this would work for larger families), we use plastic grocery bags for the bulk of our trash instead of using the larger trash bags.

With body lotions, when it gets to the point where it doesn’t come out and I can still see lotion in the bottle, I cut open the bottle and scoop the remaining lotion and put it in a small tupperware.

I have to try the facial wipes idea. I also have to use those cottonelle wipes on my dog cause she has “problems” with her “down there” area and we have to clean the area every night with the cottonelle wipes. A full wipe seems to be too big just to clean that area so cutting them in half is a great idea.

jaime

These are all so wonderful. I found quite a few that my family does too. One thing we do is use cloth napkins instead of paper.

I have a little lidded trash can in the pantry partly full of water with a drop of laundry soap and a bit of bleach. When we finish a meal we just pop the dirty napkin in the can. I wash them with the whites.

I purchased them at yard sales for about 10/$1. I made sure they were white so I could bleach them out if they got too dirty. My dh and dd take them in their lunch boxes and have gotten quite a few comments about being so “fancy”….LOL.

brchbell

We’re in process of switching over to mostly cloth stuff also. My kids are having trouble with the cloth napkins. The feel them and have funny looks then put them back down.

I told them this is what everyone use to use for napkins. We didn’t have paper ones when I grew up. We had several dozen cloth ones that we used and they got washed every other day to keep us in supply.

The paper ones just ran out so guess they’ll adapt! I’m buying 4 big boxes of shop rags to use as paper towels also. I will still keep paper towels around but will only use them for things like when the kids fry stuff and need to use paper towels to drain the oil off.

We don’t fry stuff very often but every now and again the kids want to slice up potatoes for chips or fry’s or they want to make donuts and i would rather not use cloth rags to soak up the grease. they were joking around one day and said next thing you know Mom will be giving us cloths to use instead of toilet paper. I mentioned that during the depression many folks used the Sears Catalog pages for toilet paper and with all the catalogs we get now a days maybe it would be a good way to recycle them!

That got some groans! LOL!

CountryCharma

We play cards at my house once a week; I fix finger foods, and provide sodas, etc. and crackers with cheese is my main stay.. for the cheese, I buy the 5 lbs bulk and cube it or slice it myself, gives me lots of freedom, to make fancy shapes, and save the ends and odd shapes to cook with.

The crackers, I stay with the name brands, they just taste better, I do use the store brands for breading and any I have left from the card parties for breading, casserole toppings, etc. Saves lots over a store bought cheese tray; and I can also dress it with the fruit thats on sale this week.

HSLINKS

JoAnn,
      If you have plastic hangars hang your shirts on them to dry .. they take up less room, and will hook over reg clam shell mouldings on doors too

I use the tension shower/tub rods in halls stairwells etc to hang clothes ..

Hey the snow and ice are almost off the front garden (still have lots in backyard)

Ria in Maine

FreebieQueen

just a note :occasion16: Congratulations! :occasion16:

The post, https://www.budget101.com/general-budget-finance/61141-what-your-creative-ways-saving-money-post107062.html#post107062, was nominated for Topic of the Week and Won!

faxonfive has just received 25,000 Experience Points to spend in our Experience Shop.

Thank you for your participation in the forums and adding content that our members can appreciate and value.

We look forward to reading more of your posts.

FreebieQueen

just a note :occasion16: Congratulations! :occasion16:

The post, Creative Ways to Save Money , was nominated for Topic of the Week and Won!

FaxonFive has just received 25,000 Experience Points to spend in our Experience Shop.

Thank you for your participation in the forums and adding content that our members can appreciate and value.

We look forward to reading more of your posts.

beths

I’ve quit using an eletric blanket. Instead I put a large quilt underneath my matress cover to insulate and bought flannel sheets. Love it!

I no longer use my granny’s feathered pillows, (allergies) but my daughter does. Her last trip home made me realize, time for a pillow make over. I washed and dried feathers from my pillows and bought new ticking.

Standard pillow size cost 3.40. Who knew ticking also comes in red? I am hand sewing tonight and they will be under the tree.

Not sure how much she’ll appreicate them now, she’s 25. I know later though in her life, she will.

It’s been fun. My granny gathered these feathers. I know my mother redid the pillows a couple of times and now me.

beths

I’ve had a heck of a time stringing clothesline outside. I can never get the line tight enough. I suppose I should ask someone to help me but I never do.

Instead I went to the dollar store and bought 30 ft of dog chain for 6.00 and did away with the slack. Now when I hang my clothes out, I put them on hangers and insert into the metal links and then to the closet they go.

brchbell

Oh Beths I love your ideas! I would never of thought of using dog chain for a clothes line! While I hang mostly towels, sheets, ect.

one strand of dog chain might be nice indeed! I too am allergic to feathers but have such happy memories of sleeping so warmly on a big feather bed at Grandma’s place on winter night. thanks for posting your thoughts here!

Cherlynn

beths

Hey Cherlynn I am In Arkansas, so I think we deal with the same sort of weather. The chain has been up a little over a year. No rust, looks brand new and I am heading that way today.

It’s in the 60’s!

brchbell

I’m pea green with envy! We started off at 35 and headed straight down hill from there today in more ways than one! Sure glad this day is almost over!

Suppose to have a high of 13 tomorrow, not even my Amish neighbors are hanging anything out up here! Don’t think they will any time soon either! We used to live in Central MO but moved up here 8 years ago.

First winter I thought we’d moved to the north pole!

mechal

Yeah there are many ways to save the money. But my opinion is that if u want lot of money then think to earn much more money.
      Because money makes money.

WillReggie78

I refinanced my car loan and was able to save $78 a month. Scored a great deal using MoneyAisle.

RhondaG

Great ideas! I save a big chunk of money by going to town only one day per week. I live 20 miles from a big town, so 40 miles round trip.

I have found that if I write down my main courses for the week on a piece of paper, then take another paper and make a grocery list from that, that I have the perfect grocery list. All you do then is walk around the house, looking at cleaners, toothpaste and things to see if they need to be added to the list. This keep you from spending more than you should, saves fuel, and relieves the stress of wondering what you are going to cook that week.

faxonfive

A few weeks ago, my BF and I were twittling our thumbs on the back porch trying to come up with any ideas on how to make a little money to put in the savings for that “rainy day” fund….Hes got a truck and a trailer……so I posted on craigslist that he would haul off “your old junk” ….he has only gotten a couple calls and they have really been a success!! He got a 1996 car (didnt run but sold it and got $700.00 from the sale) and a dirt bike (which he sold and got $200.00)…it only costed him a tank of fuel and a little work to haul off the junk to the landfill (which was free) and we now are building the nest egg……a little for me and a little for him ……

and other ideas yall??

brchbell

Free landfill? My, you are so lucky! Everywhere around here you are looking at a minimum of $80 just to go through gate and then you get weighed going in and out and pay extra over a certain amount.

faxonfive

Well in the county my kids live in (Greene Co) they charge a dollar a bag for the basic trash. If you recycle its free and big bulky items are alot more. but the county i have been living in (fauquier) still (lucky us) have a couple of those places that you can take your trash for free as long as you are a county resident.

of course the personal property taxes are alot higher here too due to it being such a rural area.

; )

lynney

Mayflwrhem

all our vegetarian scraps go to the chickens so they can make eggs out of them (and fertilizer for the garden) while I cut the amount of commercial feed I need to buy. They also keep busy eating pesky bugs.

The most important way I save money is by paying all my bills on time every time. A high FICO score means that my credit card debt is at very low rates (eg.

0-2.99% etc.). I wish I didn’t have any credit card debt, but at low rates at least I can chip away at it faster while I am working a full-time job and 2 part-time jobs.

brchbell

Yes I throw our kitchen scraps out to chickens and dog and cats. Meat to the dog and cats and everything else to the chickens. will also add grain into this coming years gardening to feed the chickens next winter time.

Spring, summer and Fall our chickens free range so just have to feed them in the winter.

FreebieQueen

Cher, how do you keep your hens from laying eggs all over the neighborhood?? When we allowed ours to free range, they laid their eggs here, there and everywhere. Everyday was like an easter egg hunt & then we had to worry about how fresh it was. (Aka, did I look in this spot yesterday or has this one been here for a week!)… I feed our chickens kitchen scraps, they particularly LOVE watermelons!! But they are no longer free range. Between the bobcats, coyotes and packs of dogs in the neighborhood, we were losing too many birds.

brchbell

We kept ours locked in the chicken coop for a week before turning them lose and they all lay eggs in the chicken coop and run around outside eating bugs and having fun. Winter time if there is snow which usually is all winter long they won’t come out so we just leave tehm locked in. they lay best in winter for us before we leave a heat lamp on 24/7 to keep all their water containers from freezing.

By Fall they hardly lay at all which I try to have a t least 2 weeks with no eggs at all to give them a rest. Before winter sets in and we turn the heat lamp on again. I have 15 hens and 2 ducks all laying right now so 17 eggs each day keeps me busy using them up and drying the extra’s to turn into powdered eggs for our food storage. A friend of mine who goes to sea often for long periods told me to oil the eggs of coat them in shortening and store in a cool dark place and they would keep fresh for 1 year.

he says it’s an old sailors trick and really works when they go to sea for long periods. i will do that this summer to cover us when they aren’t laying. If you haven’t tried locking them in for several days straight give it a try!

We did it to start with to put a fence enclosed around them before turning them out to keep wild life out. 1 foot into the ground and 8 foot high with the ceiling fenced in to to keep the chicken hawks out along with skunks, coyotes, cougars, bob cats,fox, dogs, ect. shoot we’ve even seen black bears here.

anyway we’ve had them 2 years and have only lost one so have done pretty well out here in the boondocks. We are 1/4 mile from the road and 1/2 mile to the nearest neighbor but they are also quite a ways off the road.

brchbell

Chickens love dairy items also! Good for them too, to build you calcium in them for stronger eggs. I also make lots of sprouts for them, grain & bean sprouts especially in the winter time to give them a boost when they aren’t able to go out and get their own food.

StarWish624

I cannot sleep if my feet are cold. So, I put a heating pad covered in a towel, at the foot of the bed under the covers. Before going to bed, I turn it on high to get the area nice and warm, then I turn it off and remove it before getting in bed and under the covers.

It works for me. And some heating pads even have an automatic turn-off function for your protection.
      I also have a regular type heating pad (doesn’t turn off automatically) which I also cover with a towel. I put this on the floor for my very old cat to sleep on.

(Note : NOT for cats/pets who may use their nails on, or bite the pad or cord.) She sleeps comfortably, and I don’t worry about her getting a chill on the floor. I just turn it off in the morning when I pick it up for the day.

lmitchell

@jkpjohnson 107231 wrote:

During the weekend, when I smoke cigarettes, I only smoke 1/2 at a time, and but it to smoke later. 1/2 the time you let them burn in the ashtray anyway. Hopefully this will end soon, when I quit 100%.

I hope you kick the habit soon!! It is so nice to be able to use the money on other things that on the cigarettes. I’ve been smoke free for 4 1/2 years.

lmitchell

@JennyCup 108242 wrote:

I like to cut my facial cleansing cloths (dove) in half. They still fit into the plastic tub and you get 2 months worth of facial cloths for the price of 1. The half sheets produce enough bubbles and are still big enough to clean my face with.

I also make my own body scrub. I take some olive oil and sugar and mix together to make a thick paste. Slather it on and rub in circles.

It is a lot cheaper to make my own than spend several dollars on a small tub of it at the store. It also makes my skin very soft and smooth.

I always used to cut mine in half, too. I did it just because I thought the things were too big.

It was a bonus that I was saving money on them. Thank for the idea of the body scrub. I was trying to find a basic body scrub and this one sounds good.

Now….to just get hubs to let me buy olive oil in bulk. lol

var122

I have recently started using Amazon.com “subscribe & save” program. This works especially well with bulk supplies of paper toweling, toilet paper, kleenex, laundry, toiletries…
      If you subscribe to 5 items, you will automatically get 15% off! You decide how often you want these things delivered.

Plus, this is a huge time saver for me (and a bit of fuel cost) . I don’t have to go to the store, lug around all this stuff, transport it home, unload it a,l then put it away. now, i get home from work & there is my “shopping” done & free delivery!

bamo72

My dryer has been broken for over 2 monthes so I strung line up in my basement to air dry my clothes. I have a large family so the shower rod is not big enough. (I live in MI)
      I also use cold water for all my laundry and with the laundry sauce recipe from here, it cleans just fine.

It also decreases the hard water stains I have on my clothes.
      Another way I save money is I made my own wash rags for dishes instead of buying sponges. I can have a new rag everyday, and I just throw them in the washer when I wash my towels. The rags also hold dish soap longer so I end up using less soap also.

Smile7

I make our own bread. It helps that I don’t leave home to go to work. We also heat with wood which saves us a lot – that’s not an option for everyone.

I hang our clothes in our huge open attic during the winter, but have gotten lazy and gone back to the dryer. We also don’t buy chips and candy for snacks, but make homemade – it’s cheaper and I don’t have things in the house that I shouldn’t be eating.

brchbell

@Smile7 407777 wrote:

I hang our clothes in our huge open attic during the winter, .

Great idea! I’ve been hanging laundry in the basement but the Attic would be really out of the way to leave them hanging for the day! I make everything from scratch too!

I have for years but now that I’m gluten free I have to. Once you start reading labels I discovered there wasn’t much I could actually eat in the store!

Smile7

I have used potatoes when they sprout in the garden. Just make sure you have a couple of eyes for each one. It seems to work fine.

Smile7

We save seeds from our garden. You have to make sure that they dry thoroughly on the counter. Once they are dry, then we keep ours in Ziploc bags with our gardening supplies.

I don’t think freezing them would be a good idea, but I don’t know that for sure

Sandman

We love to go to Green Bay Packer games. One per year is all we can afford, so we save dollar bills that have our initial on them. for instance I save B’s and F’s, g/f saves A’s and J’s.

By the time the games are announced we have plenty to buy tickets, refreshments, souvenirs and usually have some left over for a concert or two. If you don’t find dollar bills with your initials then just pick any two you like and save, save, save.

tammidiane

Why didnt I think of hanging my clothes to dry? Great idea!

loreann

Here’s a list of things I do!

Wash dishes in the sink instead of using the dishwasher.
      Hang heavy laundry (towels, jeans, jackets) over chairs to dry.
      Open curtains instead of turning on lights; use lamps at night.
      Collect rain water to water plants.
      Cook and bake from scratch.
      Drink water from the faucet, not bottled.
      Eat more fresh fruits, vegetables and yogurts to cut back on stove/oven use. (Plus it’s healthier! 😉 )
      Double ingredients while cooking meals and freeze leftovers.
      Start a compost pile (for gardeners) with kitchen scraps and paper.
      Do your own landscaping.

It’s super easy!
      Use hair conditioner to shave legs instead of expensive shaving creams.

Scienceteacher3

This question could result in a whole book on saving money. It would probably be easier to ask the question: What do I not do to save money? One of the things I often do is try to split the cost of things with other people.

For example I split the cost of my bjs membership with my mother. i love to shop there because you can stack regular coupons on top of bj’s coupons and the bulk prices are already generally a better buy than purchasing smaller packages anywhere else. there are also a lot of stores that i love to shop at but which aren’t located close to me.

for example, i love to shop at target because they offer so many ways to save money, but the closest target store is about 50 miles away. So I make the trip with other frugal shoppers and split the cost of gas.

vcraig

I have been using a credit card with rewards~ one offers 1% cash back which I use to pay back my card and the other gives me gift certificates~ I used those to buy Christmas presents for my children!!! 🙂

jeansjems

I use cereal boxes and such for my crafts, clip coupons and when I empty the trash consolidate it to one bag to save on trash bags.

Viewing 81 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget101 Discussion List Archives General Budget & Finance What are your creative ways of saving money??