Budget101 Discussion List Archives Frugal Savings Water saving idea.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

When I make a meal, and have run the water to get it hot, I fill several thermoses with the hot water to use for washing up. I just use a dishpan to wash the dishes . This way, I don’t have to waste water running it until it heats, again.

(And I save on the utility that would have heated it, too.)

Karen OConnor
      Participant

In Bermuda, water is very precious–we collect rain water in tanks under our houses. So if there is not rain, we get no water so we have to conserve as much as possible. After almost 19 years, I have the hang of it–but it was really hard at first. We have also put timers on the water heaters as well to save on the energy bills.

You’ll be amazed on how much you save. Also you don’t need to flush the toilets as much as you think–remember some people actually pay for water coming in and going out.

I also fill several large, clear, plastic soda bottles 3/4th full (heat expansion) of cold water and leave them in the sun, or on a sunny window sill in the early morning. By the late afternoon the water can be very hot. The water can be hot enough to add some cold, and take a sponge bath or shampoo your hair (besides washing other items).

Free solar heating.

Use water from bathing and washing dishes to water plants or to flush toilets.

To save water my husband and I shower together! It helps the marriage too!

FreebieQueen

@rachelstevi 206819 wrote:

To save water my husband and I shower together! It helps the marriage too!

lol, that’s too sweet :loveshower:, but a good tip!

I use to save the water from bathing and showering and siphon the water out side to water the grass, tree’s and plants. Now we have a shower stall and new water fixtures that are water savers we use a lot less water, then we use to.

@StarWish624 131834 wrote:

I also fill several large, clear, plastic soda bottles 3/4th full (heat expansion) of cold water and leave them in the sun, or on a sunny window sill in the early morning. By the late afternoon the water can be very hot. The water can be hot enough to add some cold, and take a sponge bath or shampoo your hair (besides washing other items).

Free solar heating.

That’s a great idea, i might try and do it one time

I just saw a rain barrel at a store for a $100.00 and nearly threw up. Told hubs we could make one for a 1/4 of the price and nicer to.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login Register

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Frugal Savings Water saving idea.