Vacation ideas in Washington DC and Maryland

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Budget101 Discussion List Vacation ideas in Washington DC and Maryland

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author

I grew up near the area so I can tell you the best things to go see and do. First of all, stay in an area near a metro station. The cheaper places to stay are going to be in Marlyand in cities like New Carrolton and College Park; and there are Metro stations in both cities.

You can get a 1 day pass and ride the Metro (subway…VERY clean) all day after 9am for under $10. per person. much easier than trying to drive & park anywhere in dc.

the zoo is nice but it is a lot of hills & walking and if the weather is hot the buildings are your only relief from the heat however it is all free. all the smithsonian museums are free & air conditioned including the museum of american history (tv memorabilia too). the best place to have lunch is china town.

about lunch time they will have their specials posted outside the restraunts and sometimes even have people out on the sidewalk to encourage you to eat there. you would
      be surprised at the ammount of food that you can get for pretty cheap. do not forget to bring along your own bottled water, you can always refill at the free drinking fountains in the smithsonians; just make sure that it is a store bought bottle (that has the label of water still on it) due to the security issues.

backpacks are much more advisable than shoulder bags or fanny packs. do not forget sunscreen as there is very little shade and the heat reflects off of all the pavement and concrete. if i think of anything else, i’ll let you know or if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Budget101 Discussion List Vacation ideas in Washington DC and Maryland