Vacation ideas in Washington DC and Maryland

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Budget101 Discussion List Vacation ideas in Washington DC and Maryland

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author

Hi Melissa —

I lived in Northern Virginia for 9 years. A couple of suggestions…..

For accommodations, I highly recommend looking outside of the city. The metro system in DC is pretty good and you can find a decent-priced hotel on the metro line for a fraction of the cost.

Check out the National Museums. They are fantastic and air conditioned! I highly recommend the Air & Space Museum and the Museum of Science & Nature. They are all within a few blocks of each other.

I’m not sure about tickets to the White House, but I do recall seeing lines around the ticket office very early in the morning on my way to work. Same thing with the Pentagon. I don’t think they allow public tours, but I’ll check with hubby to be sure.

Another great place to check out is the Mint, Arlington Cemetary for the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, the Holocaust Museum, the Spy Museum.

Just taking a walk along Constitution Avenue is a site worth seeing. There are a number of places you can stop along the way (the Red Cross, etc.) as well as grab a sandwich and sit along the grass by the Washington Monument for a nice lunch. Even an evening walk along Constitution is beautiful.

To see the monuments all lit up is truly a site to see. Check also for tours of the Capitol. You could check with your local representative to see about getting passes as well.

You don’t mention if you’re driving or flying. I do not recommend driving anywhere in the city — especially in the summer. Every weekend there is some sort of rally or protest and the streets can get awfully clogged and you can sit in traffic forever.

If you go into Maryland — Annapolis is a wonderful little place to visit. Quaint shops and historic areas. Baltimore is great too.

We spent many a weekend at the waterfront there.

Like I said, we lived there for 9 years and there were still things that i never got to see. hope this helps a little!! enjoy your visit!

~ J

~ Jennifer
      shop my stores!

ebay: https://stores.ebay.com/Sputzys-Stitches-and-Stuff_W0QQstorecachemissZsputzysstitchesandstuffQQtZkm

Kizoodle – The Mom & Kid Swap Site: http://www.kizoodle.com
      (Use Promotion Code 6AJQ5E to sign up!)

“Parenthood: That state of being better chaperoned than you were before marriage.” ~ Marcelene Cox

“There are no seven wonders of the world in the eyes of a child. There are seven million.” ~ Walt Streightiff

original message —-
      To: Canning2@yahoogroups.com; Friendly-Freezer@yahoogroups.com; [email][/email]; Budget101_@yahoogroups.com; [email][/email]; PressureCookerRecipes@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, February 22, 2008 3:38:35 PM
      Subject: Budget101.com : Vacation ideas in Washington dc and maryland

we would like to visit wa dc and maryland in early august. white house of course and other places. what are some of must see in wa dc. i was told that if we want to take a tour of the white-house we need tickets way in advance.

how do we go about getting the tickets and who do we contact. is pentagon open to the public and how do we get the tickets to any of the government places.

we are a family of 4 with a 20 yr and a 16 yr old children. We do not drink, smoke or dance. What are some family oriented things to do and see around that area.

It will be August so indoor and outdoor places will be good. Inexpensive places is what we are looking for. I did notice that the hotels out east are more costly than in illinois.

Thank you,
      Melissa

Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Budget101 Discussion List Vacation ideas in Washington DC and Maryland