Using Dandelions

Viewing 30 reply threads
  • Author

It’s that time of year again when Dandelions are in full swings in the yards and fields.. You can see as far as the eye can see yellow fields here.

Does anyone have any really good Recipes using Dandelions ?? Cooking or boiling for teas or wines ??

I found a use for Dandelions last week while talking to someone. They had a couple of blisters on their fingers, and told me while they bend down to pick a few dandelions they were going to take the juice out of the stem and put it on the blisters. I asked what this was going to do and they said the juice would help heal…

Sure enough I took the time and did some research and found external uses for dandelions on the net…

The fresh juice of Dandelion is applied externally to fight bacteria and help heal wounds.
      The latex contained in the plant sap can be used to remove corns and warts.

Dandelion is traditionally used as a tonic and blood purifier, for constipation, inflammatory skin conditions, joint pain, eczema and liver dysfunction, including liver conditions such as hepatitis and jaundice.

Other Uses
      When placed in a paper bag with unripe fruit, the flowers and leaves of Dandelion release ethylene gas ripening the fruit quickly ( I had to try this one also and it really does ripen fruit).

Dandelion is very nutritious, having more vitamins and minerals than most vegetables, it has a long history of use as a food in many countries. The young leaves are less bitter, and flowers are eaten raw in salads, all leaves also cooked or boiled as a pot herb, flowers are often dipped in batter and fried, dried roots are used as a coffee substitute.

Hi,

I’m going to give the site because there’s sooo much good info on other topics. Dandelions are under Recipes. Let’s hope I type this right

Prodigal Gardens-Homepage

Great site!!

Cream of Dandelion Soup

4 cups chopped dandelion leaves (gathered from plants that have NOT Yet Flowered, No stems)

2 cups dandelion flower petals

2 cups dandelion buds

1 Tbsp butter or olive oil

1 cup chopped wild leeks (or onions)

6 cloves garlic, minced

4 cups water

2 cups half-n-half or heavy cream

2 tsp salt

1. Gently boil dandelion leaves in 6 cups water. Pour off bitter water. Boil gently a second time, pour off bitter water.

2. In a heavy-bottom soup pot, sauté wild leeks and garlic in butter or olive oil until tender.

3. Add 4 cups water.

4. Add dandelion leaves, flower petals, buds, and salt.

5. Simmer gently 45 minutes or so.

6. Add cream and simmer a few minutes more.

Garnish with flower petals.

Roasted Dandelion Root Coffee Ice Cream

Here’s a recipe for the adventurous

2 ½ cups heavy cream
      1 ½ cups half-and-half
      1 ¼ cups sugar
      5 egg yolks

1. Grind Roasted Dandelion Roots roasted Dandelion roots into a powder using a coffee mill and sifter.
      2. Place cream, half-and-half and sugar in a medium pot (double boiler might be best, or perhaps a crock pot). Bring it just barely to a simmer, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
      3. Add Roasted Dandelion Root powder. Maintain heat at a bare simmer, be sure not to boil.
      4. Let the roots steep this way for 45 minutes.
      5. Strain out and discard root material.
      6. Whisk up egg yolks in another pot. Gradually add the warm Dandelion Root cream.
      7. Heat gently and stir until sauce thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon.
      8. Strain one more time and chill.
      9. Freeze in an ice cream machine according to directions.

First a note about Dandelions: Be sure to use only dandelions that have not been exposed to pesticides, lead, herbicides or other chemicals. This includes dandelions growing on the side of roads. Unless you are sure that the plants are chemical free, don’t use them!

Use Dandelions as a seasoning: dry and powder them and place the powder in a salt shaker to be sprinkled on your food as a nutritional supplement.

Here are some recipes for you.

Dandelion Lasagna

3 cloves Garlic
      1 Tablespoons Parsley
      1 Tablespoons Basil
      1 Tablespoons Oregano
      1 teaspoons Fennel Seed
      1 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
      6 cusps washed, chopped Dandelion Greens
      3 cups Tomato Sauce
      6 ounces Tomato Paste
      9 Lasagna Noodles
      2 cups Ricotta Cheese
      1/2 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
      1 cup grated Mozzarella Cheese

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Sauté the garlic, parsley, basil, oregano, and fennel in the olive oil, stirring until the garlic is cooked. Add the dandelion greens, still stirring, and cook until they are wilted.

Add the tomato sauce and paste and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil. Drop in the lasagna noodles and cook 5-7 minutes, until the pasta is tender.

Drain and reserve. In a buttered baking dish place a layer of the noodles and cover with the sauce. Spread the cheeses evenly throughout.

Cover with a layer of noodles. Layer again with sauce and cheeses. Cover with the remaining sauce.

Bake for 30 minutes until cheese is nicely melted and sauce is bubbly.

Fried Dandelions

15 dandelion flowers rinsed in spring water but still slightly moist
      1/2 cup flour
      2 T butter

Dredge moist flowers in flour. Heat butter in a heavy frying pan. Add flowers and fry quickly, turning to brown all sides.

Serve hot.

Meaty Dandelion Soup

2 quart Dandelion Greens, loosely packed
      2 quart Chicken Soup (any kind)
      1 pound ground Beef (or Sausage or Bean Sprouts)
      1 Egg
      2 Tablespoons Bread Crumbs
      2 Tablespoons minced Parsley
      1 Tablespoon minced Onions
      1/4 teaspoon Lemon Pepper
      dash Nutmeg
      3 Tablespoon Parmesan Cheese
      2 Tablespoon Sour Cream

Bring chicken soup to a boil. Add dandelions. Cook gently.

Rice or fine noodles can be added (1/2 cup rice or 1 cup noodles). Make tiny meat balls out of remaining ingredients. When greens are tender, add meatballs and cook gently 10 minutes or until meatballs are thoroughly cooked.

Dandelion Soup

2 Tablespoons Butter
      2 Tablespoons Flour
      2 cups Milk
      2 cups Dandelion Flowers
      1/8 Teaspoon Celery Seed
      1/8 Teaspoon Thyme
      1 Bay Leaf

Melt butter in a medium saucepan over low heat. stir in the flour to make a roux. Stir in the milk a little at a time until smooth.

Mix in the dandelions, celery seed, thyme, and bay leaf. Simmer
      until the flowers are tender, 15-20 minutes.

Dandelion Salad

4 cups chopped Dandelion Leaves
      3 hard-cooked Eggs
      3 slices Bacon

Dressing:
      1 1/2 Tablespoons Flour
      1 teaspoon Salt
      1 Egg
      2 Tablespoons Honey
      1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
      2 cup Water

Wash and chop dandelion leaves. Fry bacon, crisp then crumble. Remove bacon from drippings.

Make dressing: Mix together flour and salt; add egg, vinegar and water. Stir until
      blended. Add to bacon drippings in pan and cook until thickened.

Cool slightly. Pour dressing over dandelion leaves and mix lightly. Garnish with sliced or chopped hard-boiled eggs and crisp bacon pieces.

Serve immediately.

Apple, Dandelion, Sweet Potato Frittata

1 Red Onion, thinly sliced.
      6 cups Dandelion Leaves, finely chopped
      2 Tablespoons Butter
      2 medium Sweet Potatoes, thinly sliced
      Salt, Pepper and Nutmeg to taste
      2 Granny Smith Apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
      8 Eggs
      1/3 cup Milk
      1/3 pound Sharp Cheddar Cheese, grated

Saute onions and dandelion in melted butter in large cast iron skillet. Remove from skillet when the onions are golden and the dandelions wilted. Place a layer of sweet potatoes in skillet in spiral fashion, using half of the potatoes.

Sprinkle with salt, pepper and nutmeg, and cover with half the dandelion/onion mixture. Place half of the apples in a spiral layer over the top. Repeat the layers again (sweet potato, dandelion/onion, apple), ending up with the apples on top.

Sprinkle with nutmeg. Bake in the oven at 350º until the potatoes and apples are tender –about 30 minutes.
      While baking, combine eggs, and milk, and whisk thoroughly. When baking is finished, pour over the top of the apples and sweet potatoes, sprinkle with grated cheese, and bake 20 minutes more until the cheese is a golden brown.

Cool for 10 minutes, cut into pie slices, and serve.

Dandelion Flower Fritters

1 cup Whole-Wheat Flour
      2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
      2 teaspoons Baking Powder
      1 cup Dandelion Flowers
      pinch Salt
      1 Egg
      Nonstick Vegetable-Oil Spray
      1/2 cup Milk or Water

In a bowl mix together flour, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, beat egg, then mix with milk or water and olive oil. Combine with dry mixture.

Stir in yellow flowers carefully, taking care not to crush them. Lightly spray a griddle or frying pan with vegetable oil. Heat until thoroughly warmed.

Pour batter onto griddle by spoonfuls and cook like pancakes.

Fried Dandelion Blossoms

New Dandelion Blossoms on short stems
      1 cup Milk
      1/2 teaspoon Lemon Pepper
      hot cooking Oil
      1 Egg
      1 cup Flour

Pick new dandelion blossoms, those on short stems, and rinse well in cool, lightly salted water. Cut off the stem ends close to the flower heads, leaving only enough to hold the petals together. Roll the dandelion flowers in paper towels to blot up the excess moisture, then dip each one in a batter made of 1 egg, beaten, with 1 cup milk, 1 cup flour, 1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper.

Drop the batter-coated blossoms into deep hot fat (375 degrees F) and fry until lightly browned. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt or thyme and serve at once.

Dip in catsup or ranch dressing.

Dandelion Cheese Squares

2 large Eggs
      6 Tablespoons Whole Wheat Flour
      1 pound Dandelions, parboiled, chopped and drained well (squeeze out extra liquid)
      2 cups Cottage Cheese
      2 cups Cheddar Cheese, grated
      1/4 teaspoon freshly ground Black Pepper
      1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
      4 Tablespoons Wheat Germ

In a large bowl, beat the eggs and flour until mixture is smooth. Add dandelions, cheeses, pepper and nutmeg. Mix well.

Pour into a well-greased, 13- x 9- x 2-inch baking pan. Sprinkle with wheat germ and bake in a preheated, 350 degree F oven for about 45 minutes. Let stand
      for about 10 minutes, and then cut into 1-1/2-inch squares.

Cornmeal Dandies

1 large Egg
      1 teaspoon Butter
      1 cup Cornmeal
      1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese, finely grated
      1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
      15 to 20 Dandelion Flowers

Beat eggs with a little dab of water in a small bowl. Mix cornmeal and cheese in a small bowl. Heat oil in a heavy cast iron skillet until it begins to sizzle.

Dip each flower into the egg mixture, then place it in the cornmeal-cheese mixture and gently toss until all surfaces are covered. Gently drop the coated flower in the hot oil, turning frequently, until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.

Eggs n Dandelion

1 Tablespoon Butter
      20 Dandelion Buds
      4 Eggs
      1 Tablespoon Water
      4 Dandelion Flowers

Melt butter in a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add buds, cooking until they start to open into flowers. Whisk the eggs and water until the mixture is light and frothy.

Slowly pour the eggs into the cooked buds, stirring gently as the eggs set. Cook to desired consistency.
      Garnish with dandelion flowers.

Dandelion Flower Cookies

1/2 cup Vegetable Oil
      1/2 cup Honey
      2 Eggs
      1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
      1 cup Flour
      1 cup Oats
      1/2 cup Dandelion Flowers

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Mix the oil and honey and then beat in the 2 eggs and vanilla. Stir in the flour, oats and dandelion flowers.

Drop the batter by tablespoonfuls onto an oiled cookie sheet. Bake for 10-15 minutes. Cool.

Dandelion Syrup

4 cups dandelion flower heads (about 250)
      Juice of 1 lemon
      4 cups water
      2 pounds sugar

Put dandelion flower heads in a large kettle. Squeeze the juice of one lemon into the kettle,and add 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil, cover kettle, and simmer for one hour.

Remove from heat and leave the kettle covered overnight. Strain the dandelion mixture and add 2 lbs of white sugar to the remaining liquid. Boil for one and a half hours to a syrup consistency.

Store in a tightly sealed jar in the refrigerator. Use as you would maple syrup.

Dandelion Jelly

1 quart Dandelion Blossoms
      2 quart Water
      2 Tablespoon fresh Lemon Juice
      1 3/4 ounces powdered Fruit Pectin
      5 1/2 cups Sugar

Pick bright, fresh dandelion blossoms and pack tightly in a quart container. This requires a lot of dandelion blossoms! Rinse them quickly in cold water to remove any insects or dirt on the petals.

Next, snip off the stem and green collar under each blossom, so that only the petals are left. (This takes a long time!) In an enamel saucepan, boil the dandelion petals in water for 3
      minutes, or a little longer, until the water takes on their color. Cool and strain, (pressing against the petals with your fingers to extract all of the dandelion juice.

Measure out 3 cups of dandelion liquid. Add the lemon juice and fruit pectin. Stir to combine.

Bring to a boil, using a large kettle. Add the sugar, stirring to mix well. Continue stirring and boil the mixture for 2 and 1/2 minutes.

Pour into hot sterilized jelly jars and seal. Process for five minutes in a boiling water bath. Makes Five 1/2 pint jars.

Enjoy! Hope this helps. Thank; Virginia

This is an awesome list of recipes Liss & Virginia Thank-You both. And I went to this site Prodigal Gardens-Homepage crankymae, you are so right it is a great site, Thank-You also.
      The above will keep me busy for awhile..

JoAnn, I made the dandelion jelly this past weekend and it is delish! It tastes like honey. My dd and I think we should sell the stuff LOL!

Thanks for the post. It gave me a few more ideas 🙂

I remember picking over 50 dandelions a day when I was in kindergarten.
      My dad used to always drink this dandelion burdock drink then stopped after a while. He’s like “It tastes just like you’d think dandelions taste”

But I was thinking of just growing my own dandelions for salad (keeping them indoors so no weed killer would be applied or be exposed)

Wow- never heard of any of this before. I would have never thought of using dandelions for any of these things. Wish we had some pretty fields to look at where I am…

Oh ecstasy…. a field of dandelions! Haven’t seen one of those since I was a child.

😀

🙂 I’ve never seen one so I thought I’d look it up. We don’t have fields of dandelions, let alone fields of anything, here in the city! I added it to my wallpaper desktop so I can look at dandelions all day.

😀

I wish I had some dandelion jelly too – Jaime you should definitely sell it on ebay or etsy, I’d buy some!

@starsinnight 117597 wrote:

🙂 you should definitely sell it on ebay or etsy, I’d buy some!

Nice thought, but kind of illegal to do so on eBay or elsewhere unless you have a license to sell food.

@mcnerd 117606 wrote:

Nice thought, but kind of illegal to do so on eBay or elsewhere unless you have a license to sell food.

oh hmmm never thought of that. . .

didnt know you can’t sell jellies without it. it makes sense.

Becca, What a nice touch you put here with the picture. So much we take for granted–Jamie did you use the same recipe here on the site for you jelly?

Just a thought… I wonder if selling dried dandelions is illegal too? Since I know people sell spices online, it is kind of like a spice, isn’t it?

I guess I wont be selling it then LOL…sorry Becca. No, JoAnn I didnt use the recipe from the site. Here’s the one I used:

Dandelion Jelly

10 C. dandelion petals (make sure to cut of any stems or it will be bitter you want only yellow petals)
      1 box pectin
      4 1/2 C. sugar
      2 Tbsp. lemon juice
      water

Pour boiling water over petals until covered. Steep until room temperature or overnight if possible (mine set for about 4-5 hours). Strain through coffee filter to remove petals. You will only have the tea left. You will need 3 cups of the tea for the rest so add water if you needed to the tea to make 3 cups (I didn’t need to).

Combine tea, lemon juice, pectin, and sugar into large sauce pan. Boil until jelly sheets on the back of a spoon. Pour into hot steril jelly jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Secure lid and ring to seal. Let it set undisturbed and it will seal. I got about 5 jelly jars full with this recipe.

Tips:
      Keep petals in freezer to store until you have the proper amount.
      If your jelly does not set up properly, open and reboil to thicken. You must use new lids to reseal.
      Only pick flowers from a fresh, unsprayed area.

It worked great for me and it tasted just like honey! JoAnn, let me know what you make!

@starsinnight 117697 wrote:

Just a thought… I wonder if selling dried dandelions is illegal too? Since I know people sell spices online, it is kind of like a spice, isn’t it?

If you are processing and packaging the food product without a permit and not following all the other requirements and restrictions in place that ensures that the public is not poisoned, you are in lots of trouble when caught. That’s the big issue right now with “hydroxicut” and vitamins and herbs being sold. They are not considered food and fall between the cracks as far as being regulated and tested. As we see, sometimes people get sick and die.

And if you sell something you have to have a business license and probably a resell license to deal with the sales tax issues. In my city & state I had to have a business license to operate a “hobby” business out of the home. I also had a resell permit so I could buy supplies without paying sales tax because the resulting product was going to be sold and taxes collected at that point.

I love to sell on eBay, but that is a loophole that many governments are trying to close because it is being abused by many multi-million dollar companies. The issue is not the casual seller just as business license requirements generally don’t bother the lemonade stands.

Oh my! I remember very early Spring my momma would take us out and we’d collect dandelion greens which she used in salads and would cook up quickly with a little bacon grease. Never thought about using it for anything else! Over the weekend a friend who went to Omaha with us told me while she was in Russia on her mission everyone there used to braid dandelion ropes. She was trying to figure out how they did it. After we got home I mentioned to my girl’s that I would think french braiding could be used to braid them up and sure enough they set out in the field yesterday and made a huge rope with dandelions and we drove into town to give it to our friend. she was so excited to get it and wrapped it around her hand railing going up to the front porch. My dd”s are now having fun making flower ropes!

thanks for all the recipes!
      Cherlynn

@jaime 117583 wrote:

JoAnn, I made the dandelion jelly this past weekend and it is delish! It tastes like honey. My dd and I think we should sell the stuff LOL! Thanks for the post. It gave me a few more ideas 🙂

ooh.. jaime do you have pictures?? lol.. I’ve been wanting to make some. Also, did you know that this helps build your immunity to the local pollens that cause allergies, what a yummy medicine 😉

I am amazed at all the uses for dandelions! Who would have ever thought? Thank you so much!

Freebie Queen, I didn’t know the allergie thing…I have horrible allergies what a yummy way to treat them. I could take a picture of the jar, but I don’t think it does it justice.

I love this, dandelion jelly……I have to make some. We have these little yellow flowers everywhere. I’m so loving the idea of using them for making jelly. And it helps with allergies too…….I’m all over this one. Our allergies have been so bad this year, I love the idea of saving some money and making this jelly. I have been spending $30.00 on a little bottle of Zyrtec. Thank you Jaime for make that jelly, and giving me an idea of how it taste. I’m going to start picking to get my jelly made soon.

Thank you Jaime for making that jelly, and giving me an idea of how it taste.

Really do appreciate this input.

Wow–it helps with allergies too? I may have to do the jelly thing also. I also buy local honey and it works but I never thought about dandelions helping. I have been here two days and love this place, haha.

I never have also, but they are plentiful where I live MN. I guess we are always trying to get rid of them, never thought about using them. We take pride of our Lush Green Grass, the little flowers are not welcome, and they jump from yard to yard.

LOL Portel has a sweet italian sasage pasta dish that you add the dandylion greens to. Dh never lets me though. He cant get over it being a weed. Also they are a good replacement for kale in the zappa tuscana soup recipe. They are suposed to be an antitoxadant.

Awesome input here, I never realized how many uses to get out of these dandelions (weeds).

@JoAnn 118236 wrote:

Awesome input here, I never realized how many uses to get out of these dandelions (weeds).

Just a note to make you aware that not all dandelions are the same! If you are using them as greens: the ones in your lawn that you cut and they regrow are not good for greens! When you cut and regrow and cut and go through the cycle they get bitter and more bitter as they continue to get cut and regrow. I can have dandelion greens all season because I live in the country and can collect them in the wild never sprayed and never cut. I taught a class last year on my property where I took them out and we collected wild foods to fix a meal. It was a lot of fun and they were all amazed to see the wild dandelions. We had an awesome salad with grasses and wild greens and rose petals and violets. Even found several hickory nuts to add to it. I’ve taught my children that they can live all year on just what we have growing wild on our land if they know what they are doing and do some planning. We had to give up our wild plums, blackberries ect for a few years as we had a lot of black bears feasting on them but the conservation folks finally came and collected them all (5) and replanted them to other areas of the state so we’ve been able to really collect a lot these last two years. I’ve only got one small package of blackberries left in the freezer and maybe 5 jars of wild plum jams left. My kids love tart plum jam so they really went through it this winter!

Wow! Very cool! Thanks! 🙂

just a note :occasion16: Congratulations! :occasion16:

The post, Using Dandelions, was nominated for Topic of the Week and Won!

Joann has just received 25,000 Experience Points to spend in our Experience Shop.

Thank you for your participation in the forums and adding content that our members can appreciate and value.

We look forward to reading more of your posts.

Viewing 30 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.