Budget101 Discussion List Archives Tips-n-Tricks Use Soap to get Rid of Deer & Rabbits!

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author

I wanted to share a tip that I’ve used for years to keep deer and rabbits out of my garden and away from my fruit trees. You take Irish spring soap *no other brand* and “shave” slices off it. You can use a knife or a mandoline, etc.

Whatever you happen to have. Leave the thin slivers around the garden. To use it on trees cut the bar into quarters then use a metal skewer (like a shish kebab stick) to poke a hole through the quartered piece.

Thread some dental floss through the hole and tie several to branches of the fruit tree. The scent of the soap is more than enough to deter the pests away from your garden and protect your trees all season long!

two cents This really works, I’ve used this for a few years now to keep the deer out of my Hostas! They eat them like candy otherwise. I actually throw a bar into the food processor and then very lightly sprinkle slivers around the flower beds.

It’s never bothered my flowers, but definitely keeps the darn deer AWAY!

Thank You for this tip and I’m happy to see that the tips stay around for awhile. We have a lot of deer around here and my grandson told me he saw one near our porch last night…It was exciting for him(he is 6)all I could think is stay out of my garden..:)

Will this also work for Raccoons and Possums?

Another remedy I have heard is to use human hair and scatter around your plants/trees. Have your barber or hairdresser save the swept up hair from the shop and save it for you. This may sound gross but the animals will detect the scent and stay away.

Now how about getting rid of the squirrels that love my yard? Any suggestions?

I like both ideas the soap and the hair. I think with all the birds the hair may go toward building their nests lol

Around here deer and rabbits think we plant the gardens just for them. This is well worth a try.

Sorry, but Irish Spring has way too many chemicals for me to want it in my garden, in which I use no man-made chemicals.

There are far safer ways to prevent deer and rabbits, such as scrambling a couple of raw eggs, putting them in a 1-gallon pressure sprayer and filling it with water, shaking it well and then spraying your garden. There won’t be enough smell for you to notice, but the deer and rabbits, and other vegetarians, will avoid it like the plague.

And your garden can still be considered organic, which it cannot, if you use Irish Spring.

Has anyone tried this for flies???? I wonder if they wouldn’t like it. :dontknow::dontknow:

We plant a 50×100 foot garden every year. The electric fence didn’t always keep the deer out. For several years now, we have been using the Irish Spring trick.

We drop a bar into a nylon knee high and tie the knee highs to the corner posts as well as a couple posts on the long sides. Problem solved.

Can i use this soap with repellents for double effect? Or better to use one of these methods?

FreebieQueen

@John123john 1071663 wrote:

Can i use this soap with repellents for double effect? Or better to use one of these methods?

Yes, you can certainly use this soap with any of the repellents listed on that page, thank you for linking to the recipes within our site John. We’ve found that recipe #4 on that page works the best in conjunction with the soap idea for shrubbery.

Viewing 11 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login Register

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Tips-n-Tricks Use Soap to get Rid of Deer & Rabbits!