- This topic has 9 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated July 19, 2014 at 10:38 am by .
- April 30, 2009 at 1:54 pm #272972jaime
We were having this tonight and I thought I would share. It’s great when you are feeling too lazy to make cabbage rolls 🙂 It works out great in the slow cooker!
1 lb. ground beef (or turkey)
1 onion, diced
1 med. cabbage, coarsely shredded (about 8 cups)
28 oz. diced or crushed tomatoes
1 1/2 Tbsp brown sugar, packed
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 Tsp cider vinegar
Brown beef with onion. In greased slow cooker mix cabbage, water, tomatoes, brown sugar, salt and vinegar. Add beef and onion mixture to slow cooker.
Cook on low 6-8 hours. Serve over rice.
- May 10, 2009 at 4:45 am #421214catladycould you include the rice right in the crock pot??
- May 10, 2009 at 1:47 pm #421221jaime
Catlady, Yes you can. If it is instant rice I add it about the last 1/2 hour. If its not instant I add it the last 2 hours.
I also put in a little tomato tomato sauce if I do it that way…about 15 1/2 oz can or so.
- May 11, 2009 at 5:59 am #421250lcove2000I tried this recipe this week. My kids loved it. I changed it just slightly with substitutions for things that I was out of.
My older son had 3 1/2 helpings! It was really good. Thanks.
- May 11, 2009 at 9:57 am #421254jaime
lcove200, glad your family liked it. Its one of the few ways I can get my dd to eat cabbage 🙂
- July 12, 2009 at 4:45 pm #423475pup22Jaime ~ this is perfect, I have been wanting to make stuffed cabbage and not the time to put into it. I will certainly try this soon. Is the beef precooked befroe adding to the crockpot?
- July 13, 2009 at 3:55 pm #423495jaime
pup22, yes the beef and onion are cooked together before putting it into the crockpot 🙂 Hope you like it!
- July 13, 2009 at 7:53 pm #423507pup22
Thanks Jamie … going on next week’s menu!
- July 14, 2009 at 6:52 pm #423529jaimepup22, let me know how your family likes it!
- July 12, 2014 at 6:46 pm #455953Judyboo
I really want to try this recipe.
- July 19, 2014 at 10:38 am #456326Sandycheeks
Just found this recipe on FB and that’s how I found this forum. Can’t wait to try this recipe.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.