1 carrot, very finely chopped
      3/4 lb ground beef
      1/2 cup dry white wine
      2 tbs tomato paste
      16 oz can plum tomatoes, chopped
      1/2 tsp salt or to taste
      1 tbs parsley
      pepper to taste
      Warm the oil in a large pan over medium-low heat. Add the onion, garlic, and carrot, and saute until soft, 8-10 minutes. Stir in the beef, using a wooden spoon to break it up. Continue to saute over medium-low heat, turning the meat constantly, until it becomes light pink. do not allow it to harden. Pour in the wine and let it evaporate, about 2 minutes, continuing to turn the meat. Dissolve the tomato paste in a tbs of water and stir it in. simmer for 8-10 minutes over medium-low heat, until thickened. Add the tomatoes and salt. Continue to simmer until the sauce is thick and aromatic, about 40 minutes. Stir in the parsley and pepper to taste, and remove from the heat. Makes about 3 1/4 cups = about 315 calories per cup.
      this is great over any pasta and freezes well.
      another recipe from my youth;-)

This sounds DELISH! Thanks! 🙂

sounds good will have to try it

Just reading this one made my mouth water! Thanks:)

Participant

This one is an oldy from the archives, but we had a chance to finally try it last night and it really was an excellent ragu that I will most definitely make again.

Participant

Yeah, this was an ‘oldy,’ back when ground beef was a bit cheaper…today, I’d make it with ground turkey or chicken — whichever was on sale! My initial thought is to add an additional tsp of olive oil because the above meats can be rather dry, but let me work on that and get back to you. If any of you decide to try it with the ground chicken and turkey before I do a test run, let us know how it turns out…please? With sugar on top?

To me, this sounds perfect without the meat! Of course, Hubby would definitely disagree, but smoked sausage or an Italian one would work well also. Of course, that would affect the price of the dish.

I read somewhere that mixing super lean ground meats can be mixed with a fattier kind, such as a type sausage, that’s keeps the meat from getting dry during the cooking process. It may help…

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.