Turtle Cake- Oh My!

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes General Recipes Turtle Cake- Oh My!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      ChristineTodd

turtle cake- this is so incredible!

1 cup chocolate chips
      2 cups pecans
      3/4 cup melted butter
      1/2 cup evaporated milk
      1 (14 ounce) bags caramels
      1 1/3 cups water ( or as called for by your cake mix)
      1/3 cup oil ( or as called for by your cake mix)
      3 eggs ( or as called for by your cake mix)
      1 (18 ounce) boxes German chocolate cake mix

Prepare cake mix as directed.
      Pour 1/2 of the batter in a 13×9 inch pan.
      Bake at 350 for 15 minutes.

Remove and let cool.

In a double boiler, add caramels, milk and butter and stir constantly till melted.
      Pour melted caramel over cooling cake.
      Sprinkle on top 1 cup of pecans& chocolate chips.
      Pour remaining batter on top and bake for an additional 20 minutes.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      cjsmith45

If you add the caramel between the baking layers, why does the picture show caramel and pecans on top?
      And I unwrapped caramels for about an hour. Any suggestions for next time?
      Also had to go about 20 minutes longer on the 2nd bake.

mos

cjsmith45, just heat a can of sweetened condensed milk and you have caramel. The longer you heat it, slowly over low heat and stirring constantly, the thicker it gets. So keep it on the heat until getting the desired consistency for how you plan to use it then remove immediately and use as desired — quickly!

It will be hot so be careful not to burn yourself!!! Also note, that as it cools it will thicken. It takes some time to get used to this process to get it where you want it, but if it goes too thick, simply stir in a bit of regular milk, return to low hit, and stir just until blended, remove from heat, and continue with what you were preparing.

A full can will replace the bag of caramels and you don’t have to unwrap…just need an old-fashioned can opener — like the kind that we needed back in the 1950s that was pie-shaped and that’s how we opened cans of beer before the pop-top was invented. Yeah…I’m an old lady…sigh…

cjsmith45

I thought about making my own caramel candy, but didn’t want to take the time. Ha ha.. And I remember can openers!
      I realized the reason why I had to bake my cake longer, I don’t use cake mixes.

I made mine from scratch.. Betty Crocker recipe..

mos

Good for you! Anything from scratch is better…no preservatives! Well…I will occasionally use some ingredients for time constraints, but I do try to make them healthy options!

LOL!

Judy

If you add the caramel between the baking layers, why does the picture show caramel and pecans on top? The last instruction is to put remainder of batter (with cake mix) on top but nothing about why it looks like you have caramel icing on top of cake with pecans????

Melissa Burnell

It’s not a layer cake, its a 9×13 pan. The reason you’re seeing “layers” is because you poke holes in the cake just prior to pouring the caramel on top so that the caramel goes down into the cake all over.

Also, I put my chocolate chips on top of the cake, then pour the caramel on because I don’t like how the chocolate looks when it melts onto the warm caramel. But that’s just my personal preference.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes General Recipes Turtle Cake- Oh My!