- This topic has 2 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated July 13, 2013 at 1:14 pm by .
- May 19, 2013 at 1:04 am #318562
My youngest son was born early, he was too small to be able to latch, so I’ve been pumping and feeding him with a bottle. I returned back to work 3 weeks ago and my supply has decreased from 6oz every 3 hours to about 2oz! We’ve already had to thaw most of what I had frozen and I’m not producing enough for each day.
I’m not ready to stop giving him breastmilk yet, any suggestions on how to reestablish my supply?
- May 19, 2013 at 12:47 pm #439698
Yes there are a number of herbs (galactagogues) that increase breast milk supply safely and effectively.
Fenugreek: capsules should be taken 3x’s per day
Blessed Thistle: should be taken WITH Fenugreek
If you are pumping, you must pump at least 8 to 12 times per day to increase flow.
Massage your breast in quadrants while you’re pumping.
Avoid long stretches of uninterrupted vacuum
There is a FABULOUS book Called Wise Woman Herbal for the Childbearing Year that explains a number of solutions to the issue you’re experiencing. Including other herb combinations to take to increase flow. Your local library may have a copy of it, if not, it’s well worth the $8 online.
Congrats on your new baby!
- May 21, 2013 at 4:06 am #439732
Thank you so much! Hopefully those work!
- July 13, 2013 at 1:14 pm #440459hrahn918;295422 wrote:Thank you so much! Hopefully those work!
How are things going? Are you still nursing successfully?
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.