- This topic has 1 reply, 1 voice, and was last updated November 3, 2008 at 12:46 am by .
- November 3, 2008 at 12:46 am #265832
Some call these powdery cookies Mexican wedding cakes or Russian tea cakes. We prefer the kid-appealing “snowballs” and gave ours a hint of lemon for a whimsical, tropical twist.
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
2 1/4 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon lemon zest (from 1 lemon)
1 cup walnuts, finely chopped
Confectioners’ sugar, to coat
1. Heat the oven to 400° F. Cream together the butter and 1/2 cup of confectioners’ sugar.
Add the flour, salt, zest, and nuts, stirring until a dough forms.
2. Shape the dough into 1-inch balls, placing them an inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet, and bake them on the center rack for 10 minutes.
3. Allow the cookies to cool slightly (not completely) and roll each one in confectioners’ sugar before transferring it to a wire rack. Roll them in sugar again once they’ve cooled completely.
Makes about 3 1/2 dozen.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.