Top 10 Reasons You Shouldn’t Plan a Weekly Menu

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Weekly Menu Plans Top 10 Reasons You Shouldn’t Plan a Weekly Menu

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author

Top 10 Reasons You Shouldn’t Plan a Weekly Menu

When it comes to planning a weekly menu, there are plenty of sites that tell you all the reasons you should plan ahead. Let’s look at the top ten reasons you shouldn’t:

10. You’re a non-conformist by nature, and since meal plans are popular, you refuse to give in.

9. You like to spend your free time staring blankly at the pantry trying to come up with dinner ideas. It’s like a hobby.

8. You prefer the “seek and you shall find” method of meal planning. You stock the shelves and the fridge, and your family is required to seek-and-find their meals there.

7. You like to test your cooking skills by looking through the cabinets at 5:15 in the afternoon and creating a gourmet meal out of the random ingredients you find.

6. Your family enjoys having the same seven dinners every week, so there’s no need for a menu plan.

5. You’re a free spirit and refuse to be bogged down with “organization” of any kind.

4. You want to be able to blame an empty refrigerator and pantry when you tell your extended family they can’t drop by at dinnertime.

3. The grocery store is your “happy place” and you like making extra trips to pick up last-minute ingredients.

2. You want to do your part to boost the economy by spending lots of money at the grocery store, even if the food goes bad before you use it.

1. You like to use the excuse “We don’t have anything to eat” as a reason to go out to dinner.

LOL! this was great! you know I’m a die-hard when it comes to planning and encouraging others to do the same, so this was a fun read to see how many excuses that you had listed that I’ve heard before.

I only hear 1, 6, and 10 regularly and the rest should serve as a good kick in the head to get it together! LOL!

Ah funny! My fiance has given me a few of those reasons actually.

Like the grocery store one….he uses it as an excuse to keep me from buying everything freezable at the first of the month lol!

I love it! Sadly I have used a few of these myself when I haven’t planned a monthly or weekly menu.

8. You prefer the “seek and you shall find” method of meal planning. You stock the shelves and the fridge, and your family is required to seek-and-find their meals there.

7. You like to test your cooking skills by looking through the cabinets at 5:15 in the afternoon and creating a gourmet meal out of the random ingredients you find.

HAHAHA I Particularly LOVE #8 – Nothing frustrates me more than working all day, running the kids around to sports/civil air patrol,etc and then getting home at 6:30 and staring into the pantry trying to magically create a meal when all I can think of is, Nope, not in the mood for that, that takes too long, etc etc.

I also dislike being asked 50 times, “mom, what’s for dinner??” and then running through the choices – only to hear moans and groans. At least with a dinner menu- the kids look at whats for dinner.

Oh my…Several years ago, ((before the light bulb clicked on)), I was guilty of some of these, lol.
      Thank goodness, I DID see the light, and started meal planning, and in the process, saved bunches of money…of course, that was the result I was looking for. 🙂

Reason 6, 3, and 1 are my guilt sentences. lol. Sometimes, even after planning ahead, I just do not feel like eating at home.

That means I have to clean up, listen to the hubby complain about how the food is “eh”. But when I look at the months when we went out or spur of the moment dinners, we usually ended up using way too much food, and therefore money. I’m trying to make a deal with the man.

We will see how well that goes. This is a great list….sarcastically great!

@JeLynn 247430[b wrote:

Sometimes, even after planning ahead, I just do not feel like eating at home. That means I have to clean up,[/b] This is a great list….sarcastically great!

i can -so- relate…happens here sometimes too.

HA! love it. thanks for sharing…

#11 Husband doesn’t mind sandwiches every night.

I created a food storage meal plan. I made a grid on my word processor with 7 boxes across it and then 13 rows down so I had 91 boxes to fill in the menu plan. 13 weeks is 1/4 of the year.

At first my family wasn’t interested in my project so I created a few meals I knew they’d not like. I mentioned I was trying out new recipes for our food storage so I could get my chart filled out. They quickly came to life and we quickly came up with 133 menu ideas.

We tested several of them and cut the ones that were not food storage friendly to get the 91 menu chart filled out. We printed out the chart and made a menu page for each day and put it all in a binder. We now know exactly what to store for a full year.

I like 6,8 and 9 (laughing) but I’d get in trouble pretty fast if I tried using them lol

9, 8, 7…………..in that order!

GUILTY!

Economy is going down hill rapidly, things are falling apart, hope you have a good food storage stocked up in case everything crashes. We’ve been living on our food storage for 2 years.

Oh my gosh, I love, love, love this!

This sounds so much like the old me

Cute, Really Cute. Thanks for the smile!

LOL funny. Was thinking before I clicked “this should be interesting.”

This is exactly how i plan or don’t plan weekly menus and it is not working for me! I absolutely dislike trying to decide what to have for dinner as i am driving home from work every evening. Am going to begin using a menu planner to save money and save my sanity.

Thank you for the wonderful ideas!!!

Quote: 7. You like to test your cooking skills by looking through the cabinets at 5:15 in the afternoon and creating a gourmet meal out of the random ingredients you find.

This is probably the one I am most guilty of. In fact, in my house it is considered a matter of pride for myself or my top 2 (eldest son-19 and eldest daughter-16) to come up with last minute meals.

My daughter is known for unusual combinations and my son shoots for the moon with all the best delights in the freezer including always adding ice cream for dessert.

I love this list and am guilty of using a few myself!

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Weekly Menu Plans Top 10 Reasons You Shouldn’t Plan a Weekly Menu