Budget101 Discussion List Archives Tips-n-Tricks Tips for Keeping the Fridge & Oven Clean, organized

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      Avatar for bleedingacebleedingace
      Participant
      ; wrote:

hi liss,

my oven cleaner is just lining the bottom of the oven with aluminum foil. lots cheaper than those you buy at the store and you make it to fit, so no worries about stuff draining into the cracks. i used this on my new oven and so far the only thing i have had to clean is the racks which are easily done in the bath tube.

Participant
      ; wrote:

liss,

for cleaning my new refrigerator, i line the produce and meat draw with paper towels; i also put paper towels on the shelves. i just have not figured out a way to keep the door shelves clean. i do this with my freezer also; seems to work well.

Participant
      ; wrote:

i line my wooden 3 shelve potato box with tin foil and then paper towels. No worries about those rotten potatoes that some how I missed.

I have not learned to clean out my oven yet, but when I finish my dishes I’ll clean the stove top off and then I’ll clean the bottom of the fridge out. Sometimes I wipe the shelf down to. I still need to learn to do those better though.

On your Stoves, are the electric or gas? I thought about doing the aluminium for my stove too. Can you do that with an electric stove though?

Participant

i have an electric stove and use aluminium foil to line the oven all the time! I have never had a gas stove, people say I’m missing out. If you never had it, you don’t miss it.

LOL

Avatar for bleedingaceFreebieQueen

@bleedingace 208098 wrote:

I line my wooden 3 shelve potato box with tin foil and then paper towels. No worries about those rotten potatoes that some how I missed.

Try placing them on cooling racks to lift them up off the foil/papertowels. They’ll keep longer if the air can circulate around them and get rid of the moisture.

@FreebieQueen 210335 wrote:

Try placing them on cooling racks to lift them up off the foil/papertowels. They’ll keep longer if the air can circulate around them and get rid of the moisture.

😮 Wow, I’ve never thought of that…I’ve always just used folded heavy paper grocery sacks to line them and rotate the potatoes often.
      I have two or three of the Dollar Tree cheepo cooking racks that’s wasting space in one of my cabinets…I think I’m gonna try that trick later today. Thanks!!

Participant

Thanks for posting! To use this method I may have to get a different potato box the cooling racks don’t fit in the box. 🙁

shelf liner for the fridg! after buying my last ‘expensive’ fridg i wanted to keep the side shelves from getting messed up and scarred so i decided to put the rubberized shelf liner on each shelf and it works great, to clean just wipe the liner and put back on the shelf. it also works great for the bins!

I will try the specified way on my oven. I clean it just in a regular way as we clean up rest of kitchen appliances and have never been that specific about this thing.
      stair treads rugs

I line my stovetop with aluminum foil, cutting holes where the electric elements go. When it gets too gross, I switch it out with new foil, and if anything got underneath I wash with hot water and dish soap.
      The oven I try to get with baking soda and water. Let sit, then attack.

It mostly works…

Putting one apple in with your potatoes makes them last longer, without growing eyes (although why they call long, creepy tendrils “eyes” is beyond me).

This tip is a good one.i will try it my potatoes

What a great idea! Never thought of that! Thanks for sharing the tip!!!

Try the Pres’n’Seal on your glass shelves in the refer. No worries when the meat leaks because it seals. don’cha wanna yurk when you find an escaped meat juice in that little grove at the lip of the shelves?

@bleedingace 208098 wrote:

I line my wooden 3 shelve potato box with tin foil and then paper towels. No worries about those rotten potatoes that some how I missed.

I would like information about your potato box.
      Thanks

For the Frig door you can take any size box. Lets say one from large mash potato mix and cut it to fit the door how ever you like. Say short in front and tall in back for a better liner this keeps small stuff in also.

You can cut freezer boxes for example the one for fish that comes with the fish in a bag. Its clean and is water resistant. Most of the boxes for food have a coating on them.

Just pick different size ones for your needs. Lots of luck. Let me know how you make out with it.

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Tips-n-Tricks Tips for Keeping the Fridge & Oven Clean, organized