Budget101 Discussion List Archives Tips-n-Tricks tip to get rid of ants

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Avatar for BiggerPiggyBankBiggerPiggyBank
      Participant

Get Rid of Ants

TIP: Put small piles of cornmeal where you see ants. They eat it, take it
      “home,” & can’t digest it so it kills them. It may take a week or so, esp.

if it
      rains, but it works & you don’t have the worry about pets or small children
      being harmed!

I’ve used cinnamon successfully on fire ants and they go away. I don’t know if they eat it or if its the oils in the cinnamon or what it is, but I know that I found a bunch of them dead a day or so later.

I have used vinegar in a spray bottle. Spray the little buggers and it takes about 15-30 seconds and they don’t move no more. Of course it does not keep any new ones from coming in.

I’ll have to keep that in mind for the ones in the house! Thanks

Hi, I have always used those little black box things from raid or someone. They come like six in a pack and are fairly inexpensive, like ant roach hotels. I don’t know what makes them work, but they always do within a couple days.

NOW, that’s for the ones that get in.

My grandma told me years ago and it works great is to use any kind of talcum powder and make a line of it wherever you find them coming in. Window sills, doorways, etc. It doesn’t have to be thick or wide, just unbroken.

They won’t cross it. This also works great for those pet bowls inside or out. Make a circle with the talc large enough to fit the bowl in.

No bowl full of ants. My cats and dogs always benefited from this.

I read somewhere recently of the same general tip, only the tipster advised using the big sidewalk chalks, which would probably be less of a mess, haven’t tried it, but chalk is talc, so I guess it would work.

It’s a cheap and easy fix. I’ve never tried just pouring it on them to see if it kills them.

I have a hard time killing live things even bugs if I can shoo them instead.

To keep them from coming in your house, mix half confectionery sugar and half borax and sprinkle it around perimeter of your home, the sugar attracts them and the borax kills them off so they don’t enter your house…the grits and corn meal inside the home does not work, so when ant season hits try the above, and you will be ant free all your year…

Ants can be a pesky problem. I am going to try vinegar method.

This sounds like a reasonable solution worth trying! THanks!

This is the best recipe so far for getting rid of ants. I did this and haven’t seen any ants in ages. It just took one dose to get rid of them, works within hours.

I used the borax, sugar and water, dipped a cotton ball in the solution. Works great!

If you have ants in the house/kitchen, use Murphy’s oil soap on all of the wooden cupboards. I used this once and they never came back.

Thanks Alexis! I’m trying it’s one.

I have always used chalk to keep ants away. To found out where they are coming into your house, just do a walk around the house and look for the single file of ants. When you find them, follow them to the entry point, take a piece of chalk and draw a semi circle around the entry point.

The ants will not cross chalk. I don’t know the science behind this, but it works. Also, chalk is cheap!

I used cinemon at entrence point .. not seen them since. but in the garden I have a bigg tre root, wich I wanted to try to reduce.

tok an axe to it. and they came out in the hundreds.. I mixed icing sugar with bicarbonated soda…

2 days later they are gone.

@BiggerPiggyBank 4887 wrote:

Get Rid of Ants

tip: put small piles of cornmeal where you see ants. they eat it, take it
      “home,” & can’t digest it so it kills them. it may take a week or so, esp.

if it
      rains, but it works & you don’t have the worry about pets or small children
      being harmed! i like this idea better than spraying with amonia.

I have used Borax to get rid of ants and roaches.
      I just sprinkle it around the edges of the insides of the cabinets and they all just disappear.
      I don’t mind using it because it isn’t harmful like the other chemicals.

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Tips-n-Tricks tip to get rid of ants