Budget101 Discussion List Archives Household Recipes Tin foil for laundry?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by GraceLynn November 19, 2016 at 2:16 am.

• Author

I cannot remember where I read it but a long time ago I read somewhere if you put tin foil formed into a ball in your dryer as your clothes dried, it would get rid of the static.:laundry:

Does anyone know if this is true or now? I’m out of fabric softener, vinegar, and I don’t have those nifty wool dryer balls (maybe I can get some for my birthday).

I just used my new Laundry Sauce I made today and it doesn’t have much of a smell. Maybe I could add some eo on a rag and throw it in there while it’s drying?

here are my options:

lemon
    lemongrass
    ylang ylang
    orange
    thieves blend
    calming blend

which would you all pick if i did the rag thing? also…i hope someone knows about the tin foil thing….that would be super cool.

i really hate using fabric softener. it said on the bottle that i usually get not to wash children’s sleep ware in it as, it causes those types of fabrics to become more flammable!!! :siggycensored: (couldn’t find flames alone so i went with my reaction to flammable kids clothes…well that’d be my reaction if i cursed….lol.)

but i want to start getting away from using fabric softener….so yeah.

FreebieQueen

@gracelynn 1066521 wrote:

I cannot remember where I read it but a long time ago I read somewhere if you put tin foil formed into a ball in your dryer as your clothes dried, it would get rid of the static.:laundry:

That is true, it does work. Here’s the caveat.. you don’t actually need a dryer sheet if you avoid OverDrying your clothes (which is bad for them anyway). Try drying your clothes for 20 minutes, then add 10 minutes, if needed. You won’t need a dryer sheet because there won’t be any static to absorb.

@gracelynn 1066521 wrote:

I just used my new Laundry Sauce I made today and it doesn’t have much of a smell. Maybe I could add some EO on a rag and throw it in there while it’s drying?

There are a couple choices- you can add scent to the dryer if you like, I use a tiny piece of cheesecloth dampened with with water then add a couple drops of EO (thieves is a great choice for this time of year).

Keep in mind you want it diluted or you could end up with oil spots on your clothes!!

Another option is to add EO directly to your laundry sauce when you make it. I’ve had very good luck with the Lemongrass EO (Young living, of course).

Add 15-20 drops per jar just prior to whipping. I have not tested other scents for laundry other than lavender so I can not attest to whether or scents may or may not create a chemical reaction with the borax, washing soda or fels. Those are the scents I HAVE tried. LOL.

PS. Welcome to the site!

Thank you! I’m pretty sure I do over dry my clothes a lot. Although I do have an auto sense setting on my dryer.

I could start using that.

Do you think if I put it on low heat would it be better for the clothes?

Hi, I don’t know if the tin aluminum foil you are referring is related to a ball in aluminum foil which serves as an alternative to commercial dryer sheets or liquid fabric softener. If I’m correct this aluminum foil is better to use and iron delicate fabrics safely.

I have heard it through my mom and I think it can help like to iron delicate clothes better and safely.

Yes! That’s what I was talking about! Thank you.

lol. I wasn’t sure how to put it but that’s what I’ve heard.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login Register

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Household Recipes Tin foil for laundry?