- This topic has 1 reply, 1 voice, and was last updated December 21, 2008 at 12:10 pm by .
- December 21, 2008 at 12:10 pm #268042
2 cups flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
6 eggs, divided
2 cups sugar (1 for cake, 1 for meringue)
1/3 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 can Goya Sweetened Condensed Milk (14 oz.)
1 can Goya Evaporated Milk (Nela) (12 oz.)
3 cups heavy cream
3 egg whites
2 tbsp. lime juice
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Grease and flour 13″x9″ baking pan.
Combine the flour and the baking powder and set aside.
4. Using an electric mixer beat the 6 egg whites until frothy. Add sugar gradually and continue beating until stiff peak forms, about 5 minutes.
Beat in the 6 egg yolks, one at a time. Alternately beat in flour mixture and milk, starting and ending with the flour mixture. Stir in vanilla.
Pour into a greased and floured 13×9-inch pan. Bake at 375°F. for 30 to 35 minutes or until tester inserted in center comes out clean.
Remove cake from oven. Cool 10 minutes and poke holes into cake using a 2-pronged meat fork.
5. Meanwhile, combine the condensed milk, evaporated milk, and heavy cream.
Place 1/2 of this mixture in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil and stir in the remaining mixture. Pour slowly over poked cake until absorbed.
Chill at least 1 hour.
6. To make meringue*, beat the remaining 3 egg whites on top of a double boiler, until frothy. Gradually add the remaining cup of sugar.
Continue beating until stiff-peaks form and the meringue is shiny, about 5 minutes. Beat in the lime juice. Spread over top of cake and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Store any leftover cake in the refrigerator.
* Note: You can substitute a 1/2 pint of whipped heavy cream for the meringue.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.