Stuff I’d Like to See General Thank you budget101!

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by BellaRosa October 18, 2012 at 7:02 pm.

• Author

2 days ago I stumbled upon this site and I sure am grateful that I did. My refrigerator & cupboards were almost empty and we had 6 days to go until payday. After spending a few hours reading different posts on this forum and getting very inspired, I took an inventory of what supplies I had on hand then I sat down with the local grocery store circulars that had just arrived and I made a menu plan for 1 week using the ingredients I had or could purchase on sale. I transferred the last $50.00 from my savings account and I headed for the store.

$47.91 later and I had enough for to feed my husband and I for 1 week with lots of leftovers for lunches and the freezer. I was stunned to say the least. I have been food shopping for my family for 25 years and this was the very first time I did it for this price. Granted I am only feeding 2 people right now as my boys, although living with us, no longer dine at home. However I am still very impressed (and proud of myself) for food shopping for a week’s worth of food for under $50.00.

Thank you Liss for starting this site and forum, I am very grateful that you did!

:party1:

Liss
    Keymaster

@bellarosa 251131 wrote:

2 days ago I stumbled upon this site and I sure am grateful that I did. My refrigerator & cupboards were almost empty and we had 6 days to go until payday. After spending a few hours reading different posts on this forum and getting very inspired, I took an inventory of what supplies I had on hand then I sat down with the local grocery store circulars that had just arrived and I made a menu plan for 1 week using the ingredients I had or could purchase on sale. I transferred the last $50.00 from my savings account and I headed for the store.

$47.91 later and I had enough for to feed my husband and I for 1 week with lots of leftovers for lunches and the freezer. I was stunned to say the least. I have been food shopping for my family for 25 years and this was the very first time I did it for this price. Granted I am only feeding 2 people right now as my boys, although living with us, no longer dine at home. However I am still very impressed (and proud of myself) for food shopping for a week’s worth of food for under $50.00.

Thank you Liss for starting this site and forum, I am very grateful that you did!

:party1:

Thank you so much for sharing that’s really Great!! What’s on your menu for the week?

I just wanted to say welcome. There is so much to take in on this site. Kinda like Disney World. It’ll take more than one trip to see it all. I’m excited for you and like Liss, curious as to what ya’ll are having this week. Again, welcome.

Pork stirfry w/ dinner rolls & homemade brownies for desert
    Apples & cabbage with sour dough garlic bread & homemade chocolate pudding for desert
    Tortilla soup w/ black beans & sour dough garlic bread with fresh melon for desert
    Egg Salad Sandwiches with rosemary potatoes
    Split Pea Soup with dinner rolls
    Enough leftovers for at least 2 more suppers, not to mention lunches

Well now, that sure sounds like some good eating.

Sounds great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forgot to say ~ I understand the “Cooking for Two” issues! It can be hard, today I was looking to make some English Muffins from scratch (18 mufins would last us 2+ months), there is just not enough freezer room. I prefer to not have leftovers and some recipies you just cannot cut in half or in fourth. We live in a apartment, so I cannot have extra freezers and fridges (1 fridge is all I get, so space is a premium)………………………………

Cooking for two is definitely hard to get use to. A little sad for me as well as our family always made time for at least 1 sit down meal together every day. It’s a difficult adjustment to be sure.

I love this. You enter the information and it can upsize or downsize any recipe…and it’s free.

Recipe Resizer

Thanks for the link!!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login Register

Stuff I’d Like to See General Thank you budget101!