Ten Easy Ways to Cultivate Cash

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Frugal Savings Ten Easy Ways to Cultivate Cash

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      Liss

TEN EASY WAYS TO CULTIVATE CASH

Gain control of your finances
      by Kate Erickson

Saving money for tomorrow is never easy when there are so many expenses for today. But don’t let that stack of bills make you feel like you can never get ahead. You would be surprised how a few simple steps can help you gain control of your finances for the future.

1. LEARN THIS PHRASE: “I can’t afford it.” Say it again–louder. Stand in front of a mirror and look at yourself while saying it. Straighten your posture and stick out your chest. “I can’t afford it.” Many people are afraid to admit this; they’re afraid it’ll make them look bad. But see how good you look while saying it, standing straight and proud. There’s nothing wrong with admitting you can’t afford something. If you don’t have the cash to buy it today, save until you can afford it.

2. SEPARATE YOUR WANTS FROM YOUR NEEDS. You want a latte, but do you really need it? A cup of coffee with some cream and a spoonful of cocoa will, with a little imagination, fulfill the craving and costs pennies compared to a coffeehouse latte.

Do you really need another pair of shoes or earrings or that outfit in the window of that shop downtown? Or do you simply want it? Be careful–by wanting something, you may deceive yourself into thinking you need it. But your needs are quite simple–food, shelter, adequate clothing. On the other hand, your wants can send you into bankruptcy.

3. CHANGE YOUR VIEW OF MONEY. In their book, YOUR MONEY OR YOUR LIFE, Joe Dominguez and Vicki Robin suggest that before you buy anything, you calculate the real cost. For example, if you make $25,000 a year, you take home, after taxes, about $9 an hour.

Whenever you see something you want to buy, stop and think how many hours you need to work to pay for it. You have to work four hours to buy a $36 blouse; two hours for a pair of $18 earrings; and nearly two days for a $120 video game machine for the kids. When you look at something in terms of how many hours you have to work in order to buy it, you’re better able to decide whether it’s worth it.

4. PAY OFF CREDIT CARDS. If you’re carrying $5,000 in credit-card debt, you’re probably paying at least 18 percent in interest. That’s $900 a year. At $9 per hour, that’s two and a half weeks of working each year just to pay the interest. Stop using credit cards, and begin paying at least the minimum monthly payment plus the interest.

If you’re in a situation where your credit-card debt is overwhelming, there’s a wonderful organization available to help–Consumer Credit Counseling Services. They’ll work with your credit-card companies to reduce your interest rates (in some cases to zero), and put you on a payment plan to free you of credit-card debt within five years. Call them today at 800-762-1811.

5. STOCK UP ON SALE ITEMS. Take advantage of supermarket discount cards and coupons. Shop at warehouse and discount stores. You can save $10 to $20 a week. That’s $500 to $1,000 a year.

6. BROWN BAG YOUR LUNCH. Going out to lunch each day with co-workers can be a lot of fun. But it’s also expensive. It costs at least $5 a day or $1,300 a year. Take your lunch three days a week and save nearly $1,000 a year.

7. CUT OUT THE MORNING TREAT. Do you really need a latte and muffin every work morning? It’s a delightful way to start the day, but is it worth $1,000 a year? Reduce it to three times a week and save $400.

8. CURB TAKE-OUT DINNERS. One of the worst parts of the day can be leaving work only to be faced with making dinner. It’s so much easier to grab something on the way home. Nutrition issues aside, it also adds up to big bucks. An average take-out bill for a family of four is $20. If you buy take-out once a week, that’s $1,000 a year. Cut it down to every other week and save $500.

9. BOTTLE YOUR CHANGE. Whenever you have change in your pocket or purse, toss it into a jar or wide-mouth bottle. After a year, count it up. People report saving $150 to $500 by doing this, and using the money to take the family on vacation.

10. SET UP SAVINGS PLANS FOR THE FUTURE. Kids’ college education and your own retirement are expenses you’re going to be faced with down the road. Even if it’s only $25, set money aside each month to save for these events. In order to maximize your rate of return on these accounts, you’ll need to consult a financial advisor.

Kate Erickson is a Registered Investment Advisor with Linsco/Private Ledger in Ft. Bragg.

Date: Fri Jul 26, 2002 2:14 pm
      Subject: TEN EASY WAYS TO CULTIVATE CASH

mdowdy

great tips on saving money

QueenSissi

Great tips and I really liked the idea of saving change. I used to do it but then I started “stealing”~it for little things… Got to learn not to do it 🙂

QueenSissi

Great tips and I really liked the idea of saving change. I used to do it but then I started “stealing”~it for little things… Got to learn not to do it 🙂

starsinnight

I also noticed alot of the ideas were about going out to eat. I feel like I am going through eating-out rehab since bf and I agreed we are no longer going out to eat. We used to atleast once a week and now it’s been atleast a month since we haven’t gone out (besides using Xmas gift cards). At first I found it really hard, always on the back of my mind. But what really helps… is eating a small snack before going anywhere. and try to keep a snack with you. it really reduces the tempation. if I go out with friends, i make sure to eat something first so that i dont get hungry and want to get something. and instead of thinking about where to go to eat- i instead think about what i can make at home. 🙂

oh yea- and it saves alot of money too…

starsinnight

I also noticed alot of the ideas were about going out to eat. I feel like I am going through eating-out rehab since bf and I agreed we are no longer going out to eat. We used to atleast once a week and now it’s been atleast a month since we haven’t gone out (besides using Xmas gift cards). At first I found it really hard, always on the back of my mind. But what really helps… is eating a small snack before going anywhere. and try to keep a snack with you. it really reduces the tempation. if I go out with friends, i make sure to eat something first so that i dont get hungry and want to get something. and instead of thinking about where to go to eat- i instead think about what i can make at home. 🙂

mdowdy

@starsinnight 102819 wrote:

The savings of money is the reason why a lot of the tips given include going out to eat. It is a big expense. Even going to a fast food place can cost a family of four over 20.00. you could get at least 3 meals out of that 20.00

mdowdy

@starsinnight 102819 wrote:

The savings of money is the reason why a lot of the tips given include going out to eat. It is a big expense. Even going to a fast food place can cost a family of four over 20.00. you could get at least 3 meals out of that 20.00

naturalmommy

Great Tips on saving Money. Thank you for posting this.

naturalmommy

Great Tips on saving Money. Thank you for posting this.

mbabb29340

Great tips!!! Thanks for sharing!!! 🙂

mbabb29340

Great tips!!! Thanks for sharing!!! 🙂

Oma2008

Great advice! Thank you!

Aerie

Thanks for your thoughts.
      I am thankful that we have always embraced a frugal lifestyle. No credit card debt and we pay cash for most everything. Husband is a junk man (antique dealer)….so we recycle lots of stuff.
      We went to LUNCH last Saturday at a small locally owned restaurant- it was $25 plus tip. He had a burger & fries…I had a veggie pizza! Go figure!

carolee

Love these tips. DH and i have been saving change in a jar for the 6 years the we hae been together. It really helps to have it when we’ve been in a bind. We now have a big water jug also. This change is being saved up for our trip to Hawaii next January!! We hope to be able to fill it.

FreebieQueen

Congratulations! :occasion16:

:news: Your post was nominated for Topic of the Week and Won! You have just received 25,000 Experience Points to spend in our Experience Shop.

two cents Thank you for your participation in the forums and adding content that our members can appreciate and value.

We look forward to reading more of your posts. you rock

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Ten Easy Ways to Cultivate Cash’ is closed to new replies.

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Frugal Savings Ten Easy Ways to Cultivate Cash