taxes and the wealthy

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author

— In Budget101_@yahoogroups.com, Lori wrote:

>

> So who determines what constitutes a luxury item? << I didnt say just luxury items- I said GOODS- Vehicles, Houses, Crap you buy at walmart- electronics, all the ridiculous items that clutter our homes that we think we need but don’t. The 20 candles on your mantle, the collection of dvd’s sitting under your tv’s. etc. I just feel certain items shouldn’t be taxed. Groceries- anything you eat. Fuel- you know, gas for your car, heat for your house. Those are items it is safe to say that are required by everyone. You can argue that we Have to have all the other items, but we don’t. No, You don’t have to have a new house, you can rent. You don’t have to run out and buy a new car, you buy a used one for sale on someones lawn and not pay the tax. The tax should be on ALL New Goods. If you want to be a Consumer and buy buy buy, then do it, but I feel that you should pay for your choice. If I want to work 100 hours a week, I should be able to keep my paycheck and not give 1/3 of it back to the government because I’m willing to work my rear off, but millions of others aren’t working at all. >>> And for the moment anyways, taxes aren’t all that inequitable

compared to many other things.<< Our current tax system penalizes people that work for a living. The harder you work, the more you pay. When dh worked at a factory we had to figure out how many hours he could work overtime before it started counting against him. For example, he could work 58 hours a week, BUT if he worked 60 hours- it put him in the next tax bracket so he actually LOST money working- his actual (take home) check working a 65 hour week was less than if he only worked 58 hours. Sad, but very true. The point is the taxes aren’t even close to equitable with Millions and Millions of immigrants (illegals and legals) not paying a dime in this country (and many of them Collecting money for being here- a whole new issue!) In a factory in Maine that my husband worked at- more than half of the workers were Legal immigrants- they not only did NOT have to pay ANY Federal OR State taxes for 7 years, they also received $12,000 EACH when they came here to get “settled”. They were here Legally. Explain to me how that tax system/ line of thinking is “Equitable” to those of us that work for a living? I am so tired of the poor me debate: 1. poor me- I’m broke I shouldn’t pay anything 2. poor me- I’m middle class I pay the most 3. poor me, I’m rich and the poor people want to take it all away. At least with this idea/plan EVERYONE in this country pays their fair share. Those that live by keeping up with the jones’ just pay a little more than those that are happy with what they have or by recycling/Freecycling or buying used. The ones who are skating under the system, who will never be caught any other way- will also have to pay in. It’s a win/win situation for all. Well, not for all, I suppose the pimps, whores, drug dealers and illegals lose- because right now- they don’t have a dime to anyone for anything. ~Liss

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.