Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Jennifer Green
      Participant

Large Bowl for proofing bread dough. (metal or plastic)

1 cup rolled oats. (I use the quick oats.)
      1/2 c butter or margarine
      1/2 tsp salt
      3 c boiling water. (I use hot tap water)
      2 Tbsp Yeast (dry active)
      1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
      1/4 c to 1/2 c molasses
      5-7 cups flour, depending on humidity. (Slightly sticky is alright, or enough to be workable)

DRAIN THE SWAMP, #MAGA VOTE TRUMP 2020!

Place oats, butter (chunked up into small pieces), sugar, salt, molasses and hot water in the bowl. Stir until butter melts. Let cool. (105 degrees or less)

Add yeast, stir in. Add 1 cup of flour. Mix well. Add second cup and continue mixing in one cup at a time until a soft sticky dough forms. Turn out on well floured surface and kneed in remainder of flour. (Depending, as usual with bread dough, you may need more or less flour.)

Once you have a workable dough, Form into a large ball, place back into original bowl, cover with damp cloth and let rise for 1 hour in a warm (but not hot) place.

Once the rise is done (to double in size) Turn out onto floured surface and divide into 4 equal parts. Shape into 4 small loaves (or divide in half to make two large) and place in bread pans, being sure to have greased or sprayed the pans with oil before putting the dough in. Turn the loaves to coat. Cover and let rise 45 mins.

Preheat oven to 350. Once second rise is complete, bake for 30 mins.

Bottom of loaf should sound hallow or internal temp should reach 190. Set loaves on cooling rack and cover with damp cloth for a soft crust. Cool completely before cutting.

mos
      Participant

I think I’ll try to adapt your recipe to my bread machine. I used to love to make bread by hand (and still do when I have the time…I think that the kneading process is therapeutic! LOL!). I’ll let you know how it works and what adaptation I made;-D

I’m goingto try this. I lost my book for bread making so I’m collecting reciees now. Thanks it sounds yummy. I love a good loaf of oatmeal bread and apple bread. Do you have recipees for them? Thanks in avance.

Jennifer Green
      Participant

Let me know how it goes. I usually use the dough setting on my bread machine (Using half the recipe) just to the point of being kneaded well. (Once it starts full kneading, I let it run about 7-8 minutes, then remove the dough to proof normally, punch down and then place in loaf pans.

You don’t have to use hot water when you use the bread machine, just normal warm water.

I typically make 4 – 8 loaves at a time and freeze it, so that is why I don’t let the machine just bake it all. (Also saves on my shoulders letting the machine do all the hard work. lol)

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.