- This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated March 29, 2019 at 7:16 pm by .
- January 30, 2018 at 11:17 pm #383972mos
Sweet Potatoes with Marshmallow Topping
6 cups leftover sweet potatoes — baked, peeled, and mashed
1 1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup good bourbon
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice
2 tsp vanilla
1 package miniature marshmallows
Mix all ingredients well. Beat well, until light and fluffy. If needed add a little more milk.
Spoon sweet potato mixture into a buttered casserole dish.
Bake at 350° until set, about 20 to 30 min.
Garnish with marshmallows and bake until marshmallows melt and just begin to brown.
If desired, garnish with finely grated orange zest instead of marshmallows, and skip the final baking time. Serves 8.
- March 27, 2019 at 9:53 pm #465339learnin2cookThis recipe looks tasty but just a heads up that most marshmallows are not vegetarian. The ones available in most big grocery stores have gelatin in them, which isn’t vegetarian. There’s good news though, they do make vegetarian/vegan friendly marshmallows. You can order them online if your not lucky enough to live near a store that sells them. Just be warned they are usually pricey compared to the gelatin variety.
I may have to add sweet potatoes to the next grocery list though to try this recipe. Thanks for posting this!
- March 29, 2019 at 7:16 pm #465343mos
learnin2cook, thanks for the education on the marshmallows! I did not know that about the gelatin. Since I don’t have any food allergies, nor anyone in my family, it never occurred to me to read the label. AND this dish is about all I use marshmallows for Also, as I listed above, skip the marshmallows and garnish with the orange zest. I did this when I forgot to get the marshmallows and it was yummy, just not as sweet;-D
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.