- This topic has 1 reply, 1 voice, and was last updated November 4, 2014 at 11:06 pm by .
- November 4, 2014 at 11:06 pm #348315
My mother clipped this recipe from a Los Angeles newspaper. Can’t remember which newspaper as we’ve been making this recipe for close to 40 years.
Sweet Potato Cake (side dish)
2 1/2 lbs. sweet potatoes
2 large eggs
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup pecan halves
1 cup light brown sugar
3 tablespoons margarine
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon maple extract
1. Cook potatoes until tender. Drain. Place potatoes in bowl and lightly mash. In a large measuring cup, combine eggs, salt, pepper, nutmeg, cinnamon. Beat mixture until light. Add to mashed sweet potatoes. Stir well.
2. Generously grease a 9-inch round cake pan. Arrange pecan halves on bottom and sprinkle with brown sugar. In a small pan, melt the margarine and add the maple extract. Pour over brown sugar layer. Do not stir. Pack mashed sweet potatoes over top. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour or until done. Knife inserted into mixture should come out clean when the sweet potatoes are cooked. Invert on serving plate and serve. Serves 10.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.