- This topic has 1 reply, 1 voice, and was last updated March 20, 2006 at 3:17 am by .
- March 20, 2006 at 3:17 am #236379mos
sweet-and-tart cranberry muffins
1 1/4 cups unbleached white flour
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup rolled oats
3/4 cup buttermilk (or soymilk)
3 tbs canola oil
6 tbs maple syrup
1/2 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
3 egg whites, lightly beaten (or egg substitute to equal 2 EGGS)
1. preheat oven to 400?. LINE A 12-cup muffin tin with muffin papers (or lightly oil muffin tin or spray with vegetable spray).
in a large bowl, sift together flour, spices, baking powder, baking soda and salt. add oats and toss to coat.
3. in another bowl, whisk together buttermilk (or soymilk), oil, maple syrup and cranberries.in a third bowl, beat egg whites or egg substitute to soft peaks; set aside.
4. lightly combine dry and wet ingredients, then fold in egg whites (or substitute) until just incorporated. spoon batter into muffin tins, filling 3/4 FULL.
bake for 12 TO 15 min., or until muffins are light and springy to the touch. makes 12 MUFFINS = 140 CALORIES.
^if you stock up on cranberries during the holidays and freeze them, you can make these anytime during the year;-)
**if you want to do something ‘fancy’ for a special breakfast, mix together 1/2 cup unbleached or whole-wheat flour, 2 Tbs sugar and 2 Tbs butter or margarine and sprinkle on mufins before baking.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.