- This topic has 1 reply, 1 voice, and was last updated August 23, 2012 at 2:02 pm by .
- August 23, 2012 at 2:02 pm #308782
1 lb half cooked elbow macaroni
1 lb cheddar cheese-shredded (I usually use only 8-12 oz)
s and p-to taste (go easy on the salt)
1 clove minced/grated garlic (Not part of original recipe but we prefer it)
2 tbsp bacon grease (I use olive oil, but the bacon grease gives it a fantastic flavor)
1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes (I’ve used Rotel-turned out tasty)
1. Saute onions and garlic in bacon grease in a large heavy bottomed skillet or pan.
2. Add tomatoes, macaroni, half of cheese, s and p. Stir gently and cook on low for a few minutes-just to melt the cheese slightly.
3. Pour mixture into a large prepared casserole dish. Add remaining cheese on top.
4. Bake 15-20 minutes at 350 or until the cheese is slightly browned and casserole is hot and bubbly.
This recipe is quite old…over 100 years old. My Grandmother passed it on to me, which was passed to her from her Mother and Grandmother, and so on…
My Grandmother actually won a few contests and prizes with this dish, and was published a couple of times as category winner.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.