Summer Sausage & Venison Summer Sausage

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Mixes~MYO~Copycat~Etc Summer Sausage & Venison Summer Sausage

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Here’s a very old recipe for making your own summer sausage, we also use it to make venison sausage.

5 lb ground hamburger (no lean burger) OR if you prefer venison, use 3lbs venison AND 2 lbs ground beef.
      5 Tbsp liquid smoke
      5 Tbsp morton salt tender quick (found in dark blue bag in spice aisle) do not use plain salt.
      2 Tbsp coarse ground pepper
      2 Tbsp minced garlic
      2 Tbsp mustard seeds

In a large bowl, mix all ingredients together, use your hands, really get in there, you want the spices completely mixed in.

Cover and Refrigerate 24 hours.

Remove from fridge, knead and then form into 4 (14×2 inch) logs.

Wrap in aluminum foil with shiny side towards meat.

Punch tiny holes along one side and place in a broiler pan with holes down to drain out liquid

Bake at 300 degrees for 3 hours.

Take out and wrap in wax paper with aluminum foil around that.

Refrigerate until well chilled.

Serve by slicing and eating alone or with crackers and cheese.

NOTE: When rolling logs into shape, make sure you knead the meat and form a tight log so there’s no cracks forming while
      baking.

If you want a Much smaller recipe here’s another favorite:

2 lbs ground beef
      1 cup water
      1⁄2 teaspoon liquid smoke
      1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
      1⁄2 teaspoon coarse black pepper
      1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
      1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
      2 tablespoons quick curing salt (Mortons Tender Quick salt)

(follow the same preparation & cooking instructions as listed above).

Image Source

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.

Oh yum! i need you to send me some venison! thanks for the versatile recipe!

but i still want some venison!

lol!

I have this recipe, used to make it A LOT. It is the best. However, I cannot find Morton Tender Quick salt any more in the stores. I did however find it on Amazon, kind of pricey but the only place to get it.

@CrftySAHM 1061596 wrote:

I have this recipe, used to make it A LOT. It is the best. However, I cannot find Morton Tender Quick salt any more in the stores. I did however find it on Amazon, kind of pricey but the only place to get it.

Really? I’ve found amazon’s price to be $3 cheaper than anywhere else. You can get 2#’s for $10 at Amazon here.

It’s $13.62 for the same thing at walmart.
      https://www.walmart.com/ip/Morton-Salt-Morton-Tender-Quick-Meat-Cure/40166879

Also, Have you tried pricing Prague Powder? It’s the same thing.

They also have it on Amazon here:
      https://amzn.to/2afmnLn

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Mixes~MYO~Copycat~Etc Summer Sausage & Venison Summer Sausage