- This topic is empty.
- June 8, 2020 at 6:05 am #585556
For the Strawberry Coulis:
1 lb strawberries, fresh hulled or frozen whole
1 cup sugar
1/2 a lemon, juiced, about 2 tbs
For the Vanilla Biscuits:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 stick butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 sp vanilla extract
1 egg white
1 tbs cold water
For the Whipped Cream:
2 cups heavy cream
5 to 6 tbs powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 to 2 pints strawberries, fresh
- Put the fresh or frozen strawberries in a medium saucepan with 1 cup of granulated sugar and lemon juice. Bring to a full boil and continue boiling for 1 min.
- Pour the hot strawberry mixture into a blender Place a folded dish towel over the blender lid and hold it down firmly. Blend until the mixture is smooth. Don’t fill the blender more than about one-third full.
- Strain the strawberry coulis through a mesh sieve into a bowl. Cover the bowl and refrigerate.
The Vanilla Biscuits
Preheat the oven to 350°.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt. Blend well with a whisk or spoon. Work the pieces of chilled butter in with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Measure the 3/4 cup of heavy cream and add 1 tsp of vanilla extract. Stir to blend.
- Pour the cream and vanilla mixture into the first mixture and stir gently until it begins to hold together.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface. Knead gently just until its a soft dough. Pat or roll it out to a 1/2-inch thickness.
- Cut the biscuits out with a 1 1/2 or 2-inch biscuit or cookie cutter and arrange them on the parchment lined baking sheet.
- Gather up dough scraps and re-roll, handling the dough as little as possible. Continue cutting out biscuits.
- Whisk the egg white with 1 tbs of water. Brush over the unbaked biscuits.
- Sprinkle coarse or decorating sugar over the egg-washed biscuits.
- Bake for 16 to 18 min, or until the biscuits are lightly browned.
- Remove to a rack to cool.
The Whipped Cream
- In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, beat the heavy cream into stiff peaks.
- Add the confectioners’ sugar and vanilla extract. Continue beating to stiff peaks.
- The Strawberries and Assembly
- Hull the strawberries and rinse under cold running water. Slice them into a bowl and refrigerate until serving time.
- Assemble the strawberries in dessert glasses with some of the coulis and whipped cream.
- Serve the vanilla biscuits on the side along with any extra coulis, berries, and whipped cream. Or let guests assemble their own desserts. Serves 8-10
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.