- April 29, 2009 at 9:35 am #272944
Ingredients (serves 6)
* Melted butter, to grease
* Self-raising flour, to dust
* 150g (1 cup) self-raising flour, extra
* 4 eggs, separated
* 140g (2/3 cup) caster sugar
* 5g butter, melted
* 60ml (1/4 cup) boiling water
* 250ml (1 cup) thickened cream
* 85g (1/3 cup) lemon butter (MasterFoods brand)
* 1 x 250g punnet strawberries, hulled, washed, halved
* 125g (3/4 cup) icing sugar mixture
* 1 1/2tbs passionfruit pulp
* 5g butter, extra, softened
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Brush 2 shallow, round 20cm (base measurement) sandwich pans with melted butter to lightly grease.
Dust with flour and shake off any excess.
2. Sift flour 3 times. Use an electric beater to beat egg whites in a bowl until firm peaks form.
Gradually add sugar, beating well after each addition, until sugar dissolves and the mixture is thick and glossy. Add egg yolks and beat until just combined.
3. Sift flour over egg mixture and use a metal spoon to fold until just combined.
Pour melted butter and boiling water down the side of the bowl. Fold until just combined. Spoon mixture evenly among pans.
Bake in oven for 18-20 minutes or until surface is dry and cake springs back when lightly tapped. Remove from oven. Set aside for 5 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Use an electric beater to beat the cream in a bowl until stiff peaks form. Place lemon butter in a separate bowl. Add one-third of the cream and fold until just combined.
Fold in remaining cream.
5. Place 1 sponge, top-side down, on a plate. Spread sponge with cream.
Top with strawberries and remaining sponge.
6. Combine icing sugar, passionfruit and extra butter in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and stir until icing is runny. Spread sponge with icing.
Set aside for 10 minutes to set.
Image removed – Please note that linking directly to images from any site without their permission is called hotlinking and & is considered Bandwidth Theft.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.